Premed 101 Forums

The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup Thread

Guest superstorecanadian

Guest riDer

so far germany and england have impressed me. but i will hold on to my compliments till i see brazil play, the have the most entertaining game.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TheChosenOneDDS

Brazil, all the way. I will not be impressed with Germany until they play harder opponents. They have a very "easy" division. England was good. If anything Australia and Trinidad has impressed me the most so far.

I am looking forward to see how Italy and Brazil will fare today and tommorrow. It is just too early to call anything, as many powerhouse teams have yet to play.

my predictions:

Grp A: Germanyand Ecuador

Grp B: England and Sweden

Grp C: Argentina and Holland

Grp D: Mexico and Portugal

Grp E: Italy and Czechs

Grp F: Brazil and Aussies

Grp G: France and Korea

Grp H: Spain and Ukraine

I don't see any major teams being upset in the first round this year, although anything can happen.

Guest akinf

Did anyone see the Australia vs. Japan game; I didn't but I saw the stats on it, and noticed that the Aussies scored 3 GOALS in the last couple minutes. Japan must have been crushed...ouch!!! Oh well, that's the game. Go Australia.

Guest zohaibab

The States come back crashing to the ground :rollin ! All the hype about their national "soccer" team was making me sick. Now Italy will dismantle them in their next game and I shall enjoy every minute of it!

Guest konverse

i love the states but i find it hillarious how they think that they're the team to *be beat* in this world cup, in a sport that has been played in europe and s.america for centuries...

how long has the MLS been around for? haha...

but u gotta love their patriotism and their drive to be at the top of everything. where's canada again? ;) also did u notice how USA's team has all the ethnicities... i saw chinese, arab, white, black, blue ;)

and what about angola <one of the more traditional black african countries -- with the token white dude, #7? -- although weren't they originally a portugese colony?>

(pls no one take any offence to this -- they are just observations i made which i found funny)

the 5 teams that i am following closer than most are:

1. england

2. portugal

3. USA

4. japan

5. brazil

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

that's coz supposedly USA is ranked 5th in the world behind Brazil, Czechs, holland and mexico.....

lol lol lol

Guest charmingbutterfly

i love germany - germany should win.

I will vomit of Brazil goes again..c'mon change it up! Atleast something is wrong with Ronaldo's foot.

DDS - wat do u mean gremany has had it easy? No they havent! Yay, germany!

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

i mapped out all possibility using the favorites as the ones who will advance into the playoff round.

Germany will finish first in their group because they have the easiest group by far. All the other groups have one seeded team + 1 or more reputatable teams.

Germany will face a lacklustre Swedish team from the looks of things and won't face a true test until playing most likely either Holland or ARgentina in the quarters. If there is to be an upset, Germany will have it even easier.

While the other teams have to face much more difficult teams. With Italy or the Czechs having it worse, because they get the unenviable task of facing the super powered Brazillian team.

Brazil usually doesn't play well their first game but once they get on fire, I don't know if any team can stop them.

This year brazil boasts their best team in like 12-16 years. The cup is theirs to lose. Next world cup they might not be as good...who am I kidding it is Brazil, but next world cup you will see more African teams, Asian and American teams do a lot better with the spread of soccer more globally.

Guest kaolausb

go Aussieeeeeee.... haha.. me and my friends watched the game on the big screen near Opera House...no more hocky though:rollin

Guest hydes79

Watch out! Spain is coming strongly to win the cup. This is the best performance I have seen so far during this World Cup. I think they will be in semi-final this year if not in the finals.

Guest Lurkergonepublic

As I lived in France during the 98 world cup when they won it, I feel obliged to cheer again for l'equipe. Alas, their performance has been rather unspectacular since then...

It was pretty cool though - I never got to a game, but the whole country was one big party that summer, with giant screens set up in central market squares to watch the games, and the whole city (I was in Nimes in the south at the time) pulsing with cheers or boos all at one time during games. They're not favorites, but they're not out of it yet this year.

Join the chant: Allez allez! Allez allez! Ce soir nous al-lu-mons le feu!

Second choice - Netherlands for the coolest colors (almost as popular as the blue, white and red in France in 98). :lol

Guest AH800
Watch out! Spain is coming strongly to win the cup. This is the best performance I have seen so far during this World Cup. I think they will be in semi-final this year if not in the finals.

Spain's group is a joke. They're gonna walk through their group easily and then promptly get trounced in the round of 16 by France.

Guest riDer

germany struggled today aganist poland. there chances are only because they have home advantage.

italy are great so far.

england have yet to prove their prowess and so with argentina.

brazil are gonna win but its not gonna be easy for them.

i hope england loss to trin and tobago so the play germany inthe round of 16. ofcourse ecuador have to win too which is iffi.

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Quote: "It was pretty cool though - I never got to a game, but the whole country was one big party that summer, with giant screens set up in central market squares to watch the games, and the whole city (I was in Nimes in the south at the time) pulsing with cheers or boos all at one time during games."

I've lucked out, and will be doing a rads elective in Germany during July, and am heading over to Europe real soon now. Impossible to get match tickets, but I'm sure it will be fun just watching the games on the screens. I've been emailing back and forth with my billet - apparently things are already insane over there. I can't imagine what it will be like during the final rounds, especially if the home side puts on a good showing.

In deference to my hosts I'm cheering for Deutschland, but I'm worried that the Germans will think that I'm English, and the Brits will think that I'm a German. If/when those two teams meet I'm afraid that hooligans from both sides will beat me up...

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQFEkNjP/HNgbK3bC2wRAnDbAJ9p+HJfO9q9Inin7BTG+Dw+9iXnJwCeML7Q

KyOvAiFlINiYiD498ZDGOQg=

=9hbB

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Guest 24medgirl

England just won their second game! H'away England!!!!

Goals by: Crouch '82 and Gerrard '91. Trinadad had 5 yellow cards in the game!

T.

Guest MrNeuroscience

Crouch finally made up for missing in the first half... How about Terry's save? Not to mention how well Lennon showed on the right with Becks... Sven should think about playing him more often!

As soon as Lampard starts to get his shots on net, England will start to look like World Chapions!

Guest Lurkergonepublic

Boo-hoo, I want to sit at home and watch football too! Stupid job...

And PB - that's awsome, you'll have a great time. Even if Germany's not doing so well when you get there, there'll be more than enough people around partying I'm sure - especially if you're in a match hosting city (didn't catch if you said so or not, and too lazy to check :) ).

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

yeah i dunno what is wrong with Ronaldo.

Brazil is the best team but need to play that way if they want to win the world cup.

The cup is theirs but it is up to them to see whether or not they want to keep it.

Guest Lurkergonepublic

Does anyone else enjoy the fact that the American's first world cup goal was actually put in the net by an Italian player? Sweet.

:lol

Guest charmingbutterfly

where did this Ghana team come from...againts the czech - I was like this is so over and Czech will win blah blah blah ...was I ever wrong

Archived