Premed 101 Forums

The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup Thread

Guest superstorecanadian

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest PanjabiMD

From what I understand, there was a racial/religious slur that may have been uttered which sparked Zizou's actions. I was pretty disappointed in what happened, but it really doesn't affect my opinion of him. He is still one of the greatest footballers to ever play the game and still holds my respect.

Italy played well the entire tournament, and I feel that they had an amazing team. Truly, Cannavaro is the heart and soul of the team who was really the difference for them for the entire tournament. Gattuso was great too, I loved watching him play. He is very different from the typical Italian players who dive and have very little sportsmanship (Camoranesi, De Rossi).

I must say though, I really do not like either team aside from a few select players (i.e. 4). It definitely wasn't a memorable final because of the football, more because of the behind the play antics that took place.

Also, I was quite unimpressed with the Italian celebration following their win. They acted quite immature I believe around the Cup. These actions include Materazzi placing the Cup under his shirt or placing that Italian hat on top of it. Surely it was all in good fun, but I believe that could have waited. I am not saying they shouldn't have celebrated with the Cup, it is just that they should have waited for their Captain to reach the podium first and actually raise the trophy. They could have had their fun after they paid some respect to their leader and let him be the first to touch the World Cup.

Well, there is my rant. It was definitely one of the best World Cup tournaments I have seen (I have only been interested in soccer to see 3 :o ).

Here’s hoping England wins it in 2010! :)

PMD

Guest dayne67

I was very disappointed by the final. France should have won that game because they badly outplayed Italy.

I was disappointed by what I saw near the end as well. But not because he supposedly "tainted the game" by head-butting the dirty Materazzi. More because of the idiocy of letting someone bait you. Zidane's always had a temper - but one can't lose sight of the bigger picture (i.e. what's on the line)

Of course, Zidane's actions or meltdown doesn't at all taint his amazing career. He will go down as one of the greats. He redifined the mid-fielder position. He's done it all at both the international and club levels.

Do I pardon what he did? No. But I can understand. When a player gets roughed up (illegally) all game and get's supposedly taunted with racial slurs - it can cause many to lose their cool. I pretty much agree with this article at cnnsi.com

sportsillustrated.cnn.com...index.html

It's interesting, though, that Zidane is the talk all over the worldwide media - pretty much turning the Italian victory into a sideshow.

Guest Anish  P

So I was watching the CBC news last night, when good 'ol Mansbridge mentioned that FIFA is opening an official inquiry into the whole Zidane-Materazzi incident.

Apparently lobbied by some european anti-racism groups, FIFA is looking to investigate exactly what was said between the two men, and if some sort of racial slur was uttered by Materazzi (as so many have speculated), perhaps persue some sort of disciplinary action...

Found this article on the net, if anyone is interested...

football.guardian.co.uk/w...e_continue

Guest marbledust

I am a big Zizou fan and was very sad to see such a great career end like that :(

But the game was halarious...thanks for the link. I scored 1600 :lol

Guest wnasar

hahaha what a game .... its sad what happened ... i hope mataratzi gets what he deserves (if he did say what we think he said). I scored 2500 :)

Guest marbledust

Okay I've been playing it obsessively. And my score keeps going up...at 3950 now.

:lol

I should never click on links like this, I always get hooked on games like this.

Guest studentz

hahaha...4390. Zizou's the best, though the Italians did have a very impressive celebration on St. Clair W in Toronto afterwards.

Archived