Premed 101 Forums

The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup Thread

Guest superstorecanadian

Guest studentz

england.worldcupblog.org/...proof.html

England hasn't been impressive at all. They were lucky to have an awestruck ref for that match as Crouch fouled Sancho on the goal. Had it been disallowed as it should have, T&T would not have had to attack and Gerrard likely would have had many more red shirts near him! FIFA may sanction the Japanese ref over the huge non-call. No self-respecting Brit can complain about Diego anymore unless he/she is willing to lump Crouch in with him.

Having said that, it was nice to see Rooney and I hope that England finds their form against Sweden and Paraguay plays like Serbia-Montenegro did vs Argentina;) . Go Warriors!!!!!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest crimson

Whoo! With the 2 - 0 victory of Togo today, France advances to the Round of 16! Too bad Switzerland and Korea didn't tie, otherwise the French would have leap-frogged into first. Now they're stuck playing against Spain and if they beat them, likely Brazil in the 2nd round. :eek

Guest noncestvrai

I would not be surprised of a French win...

I will watch tomorrow Agentina and Germany win, these should be good games...

noncestvrai

Guest PanjabiMD
I would not be surprised of a French win...

I would. I expect Spain to wipe the pitch with them. Unless Henry can play a completely dominant game and really finish his strikes, France is going nowhere fast.

Anyone else shocked by Van Nistelrooy for the Dutch? He's been having problems in Manchester with Fergie, but I really expected him to rebound at the Final.

England has been tormenting me from the start of the tournament. I mean, these guys are all top Premier Leauge players, just haven't had the chemistry to get things going.

Lamps really needs to start finishing. Its getting frustrating watching him take 5-6 good shots each game, only to have them miss the uprights by a few inches or barly fly over the crossbar.

Either way, I hope England can get thier act together quickly. It'll be tougher without Owen, especially since Rooney hasn't looked too fit. Neville is out for a while, and I just hope Ferdinand will be back for Sunday's match.

PMD

Guest treehuggingbiologist

I don't buy into the England hype. They're down a striker, their backup striker just got back from injury and no one has really stepped up. Its great to have a good defence, but if you can't score, its over.

I don't think they'll lose this round, but I doubt they'll progress beyond the quarter finals. Although Ecuador could be a surprise.

Predictions?

Ecuador beat England

Portugal/Netherlands - close, but I'd give the edge to Portugal.

Italy beat the Socceroos.

Ukraine takes Switzerland.

Brazil beat Ghana

Spain beat France.

I don't think France has a particularly strong team. They've struggled throughout - although they were in the same position 8 years ago where they had to win their last game and the next games all in a row to get the cup - and they might still do it. Frankly, the only teams I think are playing anywhere near their potential would be Germany, Italy, Brazil (in the last game vs Japan only - the previous two they were @#%$) and Australia.

I'd love to see a Germany/Brazil rematch. That would be a helluva game.

THB.

Guest GundamDX

SPAAAAAAAIN

And since I am Hong Kong if I don't say England I'll get eggs thrown at me :P

Did you guys see Rolando? HE's BAAAAAAAAACK

Guest noncestvrai

No but I saw Sylvian, he's not to fond of the idea.

He's no Hung Kong, so I don't really believe him.

noncestvrai

Guest PhansterZ

AHHH.. Holland completely dominated the game.. but ended up losing.. Kuyt has to be the worst finisher ever.. I still don't understand why they didn't dress Van Niesterooy..

Anyways, I guess I'll be rooting for the favourite now.. go brazil!

Yeah - but they haven't had to play any particularly strong teams yet. Sweden's been their best, and lets face it, both teams played well then.

England will take Portugal - especially after today's debacle. Down two of their best players will probably end up biting them in the ass.

But then Brasil will dominate them in the semi's.

Please Ronaldo, find your form on Tuesday ...:(

Guest PanjabiMD
AHHH.. Holland completely dominated the game.. but ended up losing.. Kuyt has to be the worst finisher ever.. I still don't understand why they didn't dress Van Niesterooy..

Kuyt is the worst finisher ever? I think not...that title belongs to a certain Mister Frank Lampard. This guy can light the lamp (sorry, couldn't resist) for Chelsea and during qualifiers, but when it comes to the Finals, he's scored an amazing 0 goals in 21 shots. :|

The Netherlands. Holland is just a part of the country. I guess it would be akin to calling Team Canada...Ontario. A lot of people make this mistake...even television commentators. :P

van Nistelrooy is having a lot of issues back with ManU and quite frankly hasn't been playing well here either. It happens in sports all the time, a player is benched in order to motivate him. That clearly wasn't the reasoning behind this, if it were, we would have seen Ruud join the match at some point.

On England, they've been in pretty poor form for the majority of this tournament. Surprisingly they find a way to survive. This approach probably won't last them too long.

If they continue thier mediocre play, THB's prediction of a Brazillian spanking in the semi's will surely come to fruition. I sure hope it doesnt though. :\

PMD

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

it probably will happen, this way less threats to Germans winning. Even if Brazil wins, it will be a Germany vs. whoever final, with Germany winning. This is like France 98. Brazil will make it to the finals, and suddenly get sick and lose to Germany.

Guest GundamDX

England played sooo bad first half. They don't stand a chance against Portugal. It's over.

:P Does Sports Action cover the WC? People here in Hong Kong are CRAZY about gambling on the WC (they made it legal to bet on soccer not too long ago)...

If it does come down to a Brazil vs Germany final, I'd still want Brazil to win, but it will be tough. The Germans are the only ones that have (so far) shown that they can play solid defence and stop the Brazilian offence. The only way you can beat Brazil is to stop their offence - once you've done that, the game is yours. Its stopping their offence thats the problem.

Given that the Germans have all their fans, and are playing on form, right now I'd say they'd take it. BUT if Brazil gets on form, and Ronaldo's not sick/wussing out, I'd give the edge to Brasil purely because they have so many more people who can score.

But if Brasil lose to Ghana, I'll cry a little.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

dude the germans win beat brazil coz they will rig the game just like france 98..

i cannot believe people actually thought ghana could beat brazil...

Guest noncestvrai
I expect Spain to wipe the pitch with them. Unless Henry can play a completely dominant game and really finish his strikes, France is going nowhere fast.

Not so much ain't it. Finally, Ribery lives to his talent. Vieira, even better. I'm sorry to see the Spaniards choke again, since I think they had quite a good team.

Now, I hope they win against Brazil, but it will be hard...

Amazing games ahead...

noncestvrai

Guest hydes79
This is like France 98. Brazil will make it to the finals, and suddenly get sick and lose to Germany.

France proved it to everybody that they deserved to win the 98 World Cup after they won Euro 2000. Also Germany are playing so well and nobody can deny this fact.

Guest GundamDX

Alright that's it. I already lost a fillet-o-fish coz of the Spain match. I am betting that England will lose to Portugal. Another McD burger on the line here, can I get some support plz >:

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

England 3, Portugal 0. Portugal has so many players ineligible from their highly entertaining dust-up with the Netherlands that they don't stand a chance!

Is Figo going to be suspended for his head-butt on that Netherlands guy while the ref's back was turned??? He should be! That whole thing (and soccer in general) totally reminded me of professional wrestling- lots of acting going on, much of it completely laughable!

England should send Holland a letter of thanks after they win the World Cup (assuming that they don't bite the dust at the hands of Argentina, of course!). Bwhahahaha!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest riDer

protugal is bound to upset england like the previos two times in recent history inthe euro cup and wold cup 02. plus england dont have the goal scoring touchthe need to make it all the way. it all waits to bee seen come friday. cant wait.

Guest MrNeuroscience

^ Wrong wrong wrong

However, There is to be no further disciplinary action to be taken against Figo... not that it matters

You wait and see: Lampard's shots will (finally) be on net, and judging by the way The Portugese lost their cool last game, Becks is going to have MORE than enough chances to bend a few in.

Don't underestimate the striking force of Crouch and Rooney. It will be a good match, but England will be seeing the Semi-finals

Portugal has entirely too many people close to suspension. I'd be impressed if they finished with more than 10 men on the pitch to be honest. England will take it for no other reason than they have less cards - not because they're more talented or a better team. Lets face it - the only team playing up to its potential right now is Germany. England, Brasil, Italy - they're all getting by because of good performances by one or two people; not because the entire team is playing well.

England 2 Portugal 0

Guest TheChosenOneDDS
France proved it to everybody that they deserved to win the 98 World Cup after they won Euro 2000. Also Germany are playing so well and nobody can deny this fact.

They didn't prove anything. Zidane is brilliant. France in 1998 definitely was the second best team in the tourney. But were the host so of course they will win. So Brazil and France might have made an agreement or FIFA (french based), i dunno the terms. But Brazil was gonna win it the WC after anyways, so no biggie. Brazil prob benefitted someway. Mysteriously Ronaldo feels sick, yeah ok...

And that would affect the whole team's play too..

Germans are playing well because look at who they are playing. With that said, I still have couple thousand dollars (thx to Ghana beating Czech, Sweden and Soca and France/Korea + Swiss Tie and to selling the odds for Ghana to win the world cup as it greatly increased after they were in the quarters, before their match against Brazil)on Germany taking the world cup because it is rigged.

It will be a Brazil vs. German final. Rematch. Everyone knows Brazil is the best, but if they always win, it would be boring.

France is a washed up team that played against choke artists team #1, with England being choke artist team #2.

England, France, Portugal, Italia, they will all fall. I didn't say Argentina because they will be victims of the Judas syndrome...being the scapegoat and sold out for Germans to win... It would be wishful thinking to think that they will win. I already put my money where my mouth is, take it if i am wrong. I'll Give some homeless guy a couple extra thousand dollars while i'm at it. No big deal.

Gundam, England will beat portugal. Sorry to say. Portugal is screwed either way. They will have to play Brazil.

Everyone knows to win the world cup u have to beat Brazil. DUh

Archived