Premed 101 Forums

clarification about alberta residency status

You are right, our situations are different, however, that doesn't necessarily mean you won't be eligible for IP status as well. The U of A definition of residency requirement is sort of vague and I am not sure if it accounts for all of the cases where you might be eligible for IP status. For ex. below is Calgary's policy for IP status. Although I might be wrong, I would be inclined to think that the U of A and U of C's residency requirements are the same and that the U of C has just done a better job of flushing out their requirement by giving specific examples. Call for sure to verify.

3. RESIDENCY (Albertan vs. Non-Albertan)

The Faculty of Medicine considers as Alberta Residents those Canadian Citizens or Landed Immigrants who:

a) have lived in Alberta1 for the 12 consecutive months* immediately preceding the first day of

classes of the term for which admission is sought; OR

B) have obtained at least two years of their high school education in Alberta2; OR

c) have attended a university in Alberta as a full-time student for at least two years; OR

d) have resided in Alberta for 24 consecutive months at some time after completion of high school OR

e) who will have been on active duty with Canadian Armed Forces for the two year period immediately preced-ing the first day of classes of the term for which admission is sought. (Applicants wishing to be considered Albertans under this clause must provide the Office of Admissions with a letter from the Canadian Armed Forces confirming their status.)

*The one-year residency requirement shall not be considered broken wh

The U of C and U of A have different residency requirements- with the U of A you can only satisfy it by being in Alberta for a minimum of 12 months prior to admissions and not through the other options that the U of C provides.

You are right, our situations are different, however, that doesn't necessarily mean you won't be eligible for IP status as well. The U of A definition of residency requirement is sort of vague and I am not sure if it accounts for all of the cases where you might be eligible for IP status. For ex. below is Calgary's policy for IP status. Although I might be wrong, I would be inclined to think that the U of A and U of C's residency requirements are the same and that the U of C has just done a better job of flushing out their requirement by giving specific examples. Call for sure to verify.

3. RESIDENCY (Albertan vs. Non-Albertan)

The Faculty of Medicine considers as Alberta Residents those Canadian Citizens or Landed Immigrants who:

a) have lived in Alberta1 for the 12 consecutive months* immediately preceding the first day of

classes of the term for which admission is sought; OR

B) have obtained at least two years of their high school education in Alberta2; OR

c) have attended a university in Alberta as a full-time student for at least two years; OR

d) have resided in Alberta for 24 consecutive months at some time after completion of high school OR

e) who will have been on active duty with Canadian Armed Forces for the two year period immediately preced-ing the first day of classes of the term for which admission is sought. (Applicants wishing to be considered Albertans under this clause must provide the Office of Admissions with a letter from the Canadian Armed Forces confirming their status.)

*The one-year residency requirement shall not be considered broken wh

Archived