Premed 101 Forums

Being able to speak multiple languages fluently looked favourably in med applications

Um… don’t know

In a way that it demonstrates ur open mindedness, interest in other cultures, different opinions and perspectives… then yes

On the other hand, I speak four languages if u count my 3 years Spanish classes in high school (which i have forgotten 3 years ago :D) and I know a lot of friends (premeds) who also do (some even 5)… so in term of giving u an edge, it’s relatively not that significant… unless ur planning to apply to an university in which the teaching language is not English (Quebec francophone universities for example, in this case, knowing french would absolutely improve ur chance). So its tough to say…

bottom line: make sure u put it on ur biography letters and emphasis it in interviews and it should give u a edge.

hope this helped

PS: Just a personal opinion… I won’t be applying for a less a year and a half:)

ah.. I thought so.

But I guess if it's my hobby then I should still mention it.

in my opinion, being able to play musical instruments is a bit overrated to pick up girls... if you want to impress the ladies, you gotta be smooth with your tongue. :P

Just wondering, which language do you guys like the most?? English? Spanish? Cantonese? Dutch? Let's hear it!

Being able to speak multiple languages is part of the package we present for admissions and while not essential, definitely is useful as future physicians. I am fluent in four langauges and have used them all in my EMS work. Canada is multicultural, the elderly especially are most comfortable speaking the language they have grown up speaking as their first language, and I have encountered patients who neither spoke nor understood either of our official languages and speaking another language definitely was helpful in obtaining patient histories and explaining things to them.

Well considering how some of the residents i've met have a hard enough time speaking proper english to me, i'd say its not that big of a deal.

Regardless of whether you speak multiple languages or not, you need to speak english well. I die a little inside every time I see a resident (usually FMG) struggle to convey even the smallest bit of information to a patient.

The rest is just gravy, really. I'd think of it like having good business skills. It'll help you be a good doctor (ie run a private practice in the case of business skills) but it isn't really going to help you get into med school.

Speaking multiple languages would make you a good interpreter though.

Regardless of whether you speak multiple languages or not, ..... it isn't really going to help you get into med school.

Speaking multiple languages would make you a good interpreter though.

While I agree with your former statement and, as an EMS responder, I have also acted as interpreter, I would not downplay the value of a physician having this skill and thereby being able to communicate comfortably and effectively with patients who don't speak or understand English or French. I have seen elderly Chinese Canadian patients requiring their family to interpret between physician and patient; and Russian patients with only one language skill requiring medical attention. It is of definite help for the practice of medicine.

While I agree with your former statement and, as an EMS responder, I have also acted as interpreter, I would not downplay the value of a physician having this skill and thereby being able to communicate comfortably and effectively with patients who don't speak or understand English or French. I have seen elderly Chinese Canadian patients requiring their family to interpret between physician and patient; and Russian patients with only one language skill requiring medical attention. It is of definite help for the practice of medicine.

There is definitely value. But unless your interviewer speaks all of the languages you do, how much do you think this will impact your application? Anyone can memorize a few phrases in 4 different languages and say that they speak 5 languages. As impressive as speaking 5 languages is, I'm not sure that everyone is as impressed about it as they should be.

Obviously one needs to have corroboration from reference letters, preferably with a story about how they saved a baby from a fire because they could speak 5 languages. You obviously have some good stories but I don't think everyone has had the opportunitty to show how their language skills are useful (like for translating anime or whatever) well enough to translate into increased acceptance odds.

a41, I am in total agreement with what you say, however, I do believe that having fluency in 4 languages is worth as least as much as a great EC activity. After all, such fluency does not occur overnight and takes years of dedication, perseverance and practice. In my case, I took formal classes for many years. I do not intend to highlight this skill, it will not show up in my 48 activities and it may or may not come up during an interview. I do know that once I become a physician, I will be able to better communicate with some of my patients. Will it make me a better doctor? Of course not.

It's not gonna be the thing that gets you in. But if it is your hobby/interest, why not mention it. Med schools want to get a picture of who you are.

Being fluent in 4 languages definitely will be useful at some point in your career (assuming those languages are at least somewhat prevalent here). The reality is though, that you will never speak enough languages to avoid having to find a translator or use a family member at some point (or even quite regularly). For example, my last shift, had a pt that only spoke Czech, another Urdu and another Russian. Other shifts have included, Polish, Cantonese, Italian and the list could go on.

It's not gonna be the thing that gets you in. But if it is your hobby/interest, why not mention it. Med schools want to get a picture of who you are.

Being fluent in 4 languages definitely will be useful at some point in your career.......The reality is though, that you will never speak enough languages to avoid having to find a translator or use a family member at some point (or even quite regularly). For example, my last shift, had a pt that only spoke Czech, another Urdu and another Russian. Other shifts have included, Polish, Cantonese, Italian and the list could go on.

It is neither a hobby or specific interest per se, but I went to a trilingual elementary and high school and my mother spoke a 4th language only at home (her first language) to ensure I expanded my language skills. Everybody I know speaks English or French, but I have dealt with patients who spoke or understood neither, and my languages skills have proven to be of benefit in dealing with EMS patients and the chronic elderly at a wellness centre. Just like any doctor will not be able to handle every conceivable medical situation, each of us will come to the table with overlapping and different skill sets, including languages, that will be helpful in our future careers.

It is neither a hobby or specific interest per se, but I went to a trilingual elementary and high school and my mother spoke a 4th language only at home (her first language) to ensure I expanded my language skills. Everybody I know speaks English or French, but I have dealt with patients who spoke or understood neither, and my languages skills have proven to be of benefit in dealing with EMS patients and the chronic elderly at a wellness centre. Just like any doctor will not be able to handle every conceivable medical situation, each of us will come to the table with overlapping and different skill sets, including languages, that will be helpful in our future careers.

I was responding more to the OP who stated it was his/her hobby.

Medicine draws on all fields. Sure, speaking many languages is more relevant than a lot of other skills, and I'm sure it will make you a better doctor. Pertaining to admissions to med school, though, I doubt it would draw more than a 'oh, that's interesting' from an ADCOM member. Is it a plus? Sure, but it's not going to make you stand out. To get that, I really think you need to have some unique and in depth directly medically related experience. Learning Italian in Tuscany doesn't count.

Part of the game is definitely the 'spin' you can put on something, but I've seen people on these forums who were trying to sell their part-time jobs in a call center as relevant experience... I expect ADCOMs can smell that BS from a mile away.

Medicine draws on all fields. Sure, speaking many languages is more relevant than a lot of other skills, and I'm sure it will make you a better doctor. Pertaining to admissions to med school, though, I doubt it would draw more than a 'oh, that's interesting' from an ADCOM member. Is it a plus? Sure, but it's not going to make you stand out. To get that, I really think you need to have some unique and in depth directly medically related experience. Learning Italian in Tuscany doesn't count.

I agree with parts of this statement. I dont think having multiple languages under your belt is the be all and end all of your admissions package. but i do think that say "learning italian in tuscany" is an interesting part of your life and has helped shape you into who you are as a person/applicant. i think its relevant.

i speak english and french and fluent in ASL because my uncle and two cousins are deaf. I am putting that in my application because like someones trip to Tuscany, it has had a huge impact on my life and who i've become.

I agree with parts of this statement. I dont think having multiple languages under your belt is the be all and end all of your admissions package. but i do think that say "learning italian in tuscany" is an interesting part of your life and has helped shape you into who you are as a person/applicant. i think its relevant.

i speak english and french and fluent in ASL because my uncle and two cousins are deaf. I am putting that in my application because like someones trip to Tuscany, it has had a huge impact on my life and who i've become.

:) (10 characters)

I completely agree with this statement. Believe it or not, for my applications at the two schools I applied for I listed my completion of French Immersion as one of my "Top 5 activities" and explained why. I really did value my completion of the program, especially because I had been on the brink of dropping out of it at one point because I was struggling with it. Eventually though, I developped a real passion for the language, and improved significantly in my abilities. And it did take alot of work. But I can definitely understand why alot of people wouldn't find that impressive, especially since there are so many people who have completed immersion! (To be honest, I was skeptical myself) But my extracurriculars were few in number and nothing spectacular (especially compared to the people on these boards) - I really didn't think I had much of a chance of getting in. But, in the end I was accepted at both schools. So although being multilingual isn't going to make you or break you, I think if it's something you have worked hard at for a long time and it's helped shape you, it's an important part of your application and you should definitely include it.

I did mention that I could speak another language during my interview, as part of the answer to two questions they asked - one about my ECs and one about immigrants and the health care system.

But I also have used my language skills in a health care setting... so, maybe it's the health care part they liked, not my language skills :P

Archived