Premed 101 Forums

trivial activities

I know someone in the main OMSAS thread had mentioned whether to categorize 7-day portaging and such as 'other' or not... well I was wondering, is there any point to include something like various camping trips under ECs or other (which is nothing like a hard-core weeklong portage or anything... just a recreational thing I do with friends a few times a summer, as I'm sure many people do)...it seems like it may not belong in the OMSAS autobio... but does anyone put stuff as casual as this? i guess just to add to the picture you are trying to paint of yourself... thoughts?

if I put it in other though, does that mean I should move my recreational (pick-up) basketball and volleyball from ECs to other? I would think those are ECs... but are you saying 'other' is for any activities which are not really part of an organization, and for example, you would just have a friend as a verifier?

thanks

no I wouldn't say that.

I used other for things like, some of the bigger (non-research) conferences I've been to etc. they were organized but I still put them in other, didn't feel right calling a one weekend thing a EC.

I don't think the category matters all that much really. I actually don't even think the list carries much weight at all, for instance no school really specifically states how they use it in their rankings. I'm sure a bunch don't use it at all.

no I wouldn't say that.

I used other for things like, some of the bigger (non-research) conferences I've been to etc. they were organized but I still put them in other, didn't feel right calling a one weekend thing a EC.

I don't think the category matters all that much really. I actually don't even think the list carries much weight at all, for instance no school really specifically states how they use it in their rankings. I'm sure a bunch don't use it at all.

I put in conferences, geocaching, swimming with my kids, playgroups. All that crap that makes the world go round.

thanks guys, this is helpful

so with regards to conferences... are you talking about just attending coferences, as an audience member? for example, this summer, as an extension of my research position, I attended a conference in honour of Donald Stuss, a huge frontal lobe researcher, and there were a lot of big names there (at least, big in cognitive neuroscience / medical research)... is this what you are talking about? I was wondering if I should put this down...

and so in general, you guys are using other for kind of like an 'interests/activities' category as well? even for something like "avid reader on physics/astronomy and neuroscience"... something like that? recreational small film making (with friends)? --- a ton of tv/movie watching:p

ps. Cnussey, I had never heard of geocaching, so I looked it up... that looks really cool!

if I put it in other though, does that mean I should move my recreational (pick-up) basketball and volleyball from ECs to other? I would think those are ECs... but are you saying 'other' is for any activities which are not really part of an organization, and for example, you would just have a friend as a verifier?

thanks

An EC does not need to be part of an organization. I think your basketball, volleyball can fit into either and a friend as a verifier would be fine b/c there is no other verifier to be had.

I debating weather I should put some of the music & arts festivals I've been to over the years (i.e. lollapalloza / bonnaroo), haven't come to a decision yet. They would probably go under other if I do put them.

On the basis that you are a regular goer to these festivals, they are part of your life and tell something about who you are, so fair enough. If you have only gone to a couple over the years, I wouldn't bother.

this summer, as an extension of my research position, I attended a conference in honour of Donald Stuss, a huge frontal lobe researcher, and there were a lot of big names there (at least, big in cognitive neuroscience / medical research)... is this what you are talking about? I was wondering if I should put this down...

and so in general, you guys are using other for kind of like an 'interests/activities' category as well? even for something like "avid reader on physics/astronomy and neuroscience"... something like that? recreational small film making (with friends)? --- a ton of tv/movie watching:p

recreational small film making, yes :P

a ton of tv/movie watching, no :mad:

the conference above, its not an EC, perhaps under others, or weave it into your Essay if you can relate it to your overall interests or studies:p

thanks guys, this is helpful

so with regards to conferences... are you talking about just attending coferences, as an audience member? for example, this summer, as an extension of my research position, I attended a conference in honour of Donald Stuss, a huge frontal lobe researcher, and there were a lot of big names there (at least, big in cognitive neuroscience / medical research)... is this what you are talking about? I was wondering if I should put this down...

ps. Cnussey, I had never heard of geocaching, so I looked it up... that looks really cool!

Yes. That conference would count. I've attended "personal growth" conferences focused on child care and academic conferences for things like theology, astronomy, physics, etc.

Geocaching is fun--I'm buying a new GPS very soon.

recreational small film making, yes :P

a ton of tv/movie watching, no :mad:

the conference above, its not an EC, perhaps under others, or weave it into your Essay if you can relate it to your overall interests or studies:p

Conferences can be listed as an other on your sketch--that's right. Lol.

what about that "avid reader on physics/astronomy and neuroscience"... would anyone consider including just a pure interest like that (in other, obviously)

also, where do you guys put shadowing? I put it in EC, mainly because I want to say some stuff about it, because it was really important experience for me... but is that generally other? volunteering (i dont think so)?

what about that "avid reader on physics/astronomy and neuroscience"... would anyone consider including just a pure interest like that (in other, obviously)

also, where do you guys put shadowing? I put it in EC, mainly because I want to say some stuff about it, because it was really important experience for me... but is that generally other? volunteering (i dont think so)?

Shadowing I would put it under other--some would consider it recreational, others would consider it personal growth. So other is appropriate.

The reading you can place in one of the submission questions that asks about other activities (NOSM?). You can place it in other for sure.

I probably wouldn't, don't have a scientific answer as to why, other than to me it comes off as if your really stretching for spots.

The way I see it, if you can fill your list with 48, well verified, and serious commitments then that's cool, if you can't, then stretch to a point, i.e. pick-up sports/conferences attended etc. but don't go crazy, it's people on the other side reading just like you, and are probably going to see -- "read a brief history of time by Stephen Hawking...twice!" with rolling eyes.

And like I said before, really it's GPA/MCAT/INTERVIEW that's all...the other aspects like this sketch and LORs are more for decoration, and your own benefit during the interview (so you know in your head what you've been doing over the years).

I probably wouldn't, don't have a scientific answer as to why, other than to me it comes off as if your really stretching for spots.

The way I see it, if you can fill your list with 48, well verified, and serious commitments then that's cool, if you can't, then stretch to a point, i.e. pick-up sports/conferences attended etc. but don't go crazy, it's people on the other side reading just like you, and are probably going to see -- "read a brief history of time by Stephen Hawking...twice!" with rolling eyes.

And like I said before, really it's GPA/MCAT/INTERVIEW that's all...the other aspects like this sketch and LORs are more for decoration, and your own benefit during the interview (so you know in your head what you've been doing over the years).

I agree...don't fill all 48 spots unless you really do have that many organized activities going on. Hence my response on the submission's question--you don't want to just repeat yourself so place personal interests there.

I agree with you completely Adam! I was wondering about this too when I was working on my auto bio sketch. I was lucky to get the opinion from a prof at Western who used to be on an admissions committee. He said that he used to consider a sketch filled with many minor one-day activities as having less of an impression than an application with fewer activities in total, but more long-term committed experiences.

That being said, if a minor-one day activity has a significant impact on who you are today and shows potential for development of qualities desired in a future career, I can't see why you shouldn't put it in :)

I agree with you completely Adam! I was wondering about this too when I was working on my auto bio sketch. I was lucky to get the opinion from a prof at Western who used to be on an admissions committee. He said that he used to consider a sketch filled with many minor one-day activities as having less of an impression than an application with fewer activities in total, but more long-term committed experiences.

That being said, if a minor-one day activity has a significant impact on who you are today and shows potential for development of qualities desired in a future career, I can't see why you shouldn't put it in :)

I also agree :) Really if you can't have a nice solid conversation about something on your sketch for several minutes then I think it really is too minor an item to put on your application. Worse at the interview the interviewer may even be distracted and ask you about some relatively minor thing instead of focusing on your core strengths.

ok!

I'm still not sure what I should do for this...I've been making ceramics for 12 years, so I have that listed as an EC.

What I'm unsure is this: for 3 years I've participated in an organized Art sale. Should I include that in my sketch as 1 event spanning 3 years? Or 3 separate events spanning 2 days (as that's how long the sale was for). It just seems silly to have it three times, but it also seems silly to have it spanning 3 years when really it was 6 days total in 3 years.

Thanks!

Archived