Premed 101 Forums

E-mail to waitlistees?

Guest Asystole

You guys are really strung tight. Relax a little, take it as it comes. It seems like your whole life is medicine. I thought med student were well rounded, yet some of you persist on visiting this site an infinite number of times daily. I know getting in is very nerve wrecking, but this is a bit OCD, if you know what I mean. Any, to each their own. I hope now that you know you are in you will relax a little bit, and go have a drink.

Guest Akane200

Hey, please be polite.

People are probably well rounded, but they come to the board to vent their anxiety about getting admitted off of the waitlist. It doesn't show anything about how people really are in real life (and they are not necessarily high strung, and all med students are a little OCD to some degree too! ha ha).

Yes, we have the rest of our lives to do medicine, but I don't think anyone in this thread particularly speaking about medicine at all, only the admissions.

You use this board too, so please be respectful of others. :)

Guest maxell

when is the deadline of those newly admitted off the wait list to respond to the offer of admission?

Perhaps we can determine when the class will be finally filled and refusal letters will be sent out.

On another topic, just how dishonest the uoft admissions are is evident - they said in the wait list letter that they "had sent refusals to some". Everyone from the 450 or so that had been interviewed but did not get in on June 1st was placed on the waiting-list. So they left about 250 people hoping and waiting anxiously even until today, when in fact the majority of us never had a chance since three weeks ago. Extremely lazy and inefficient people work there. While I am reapplying next year with my new MCAT scores, I will consider carefully whether I want to expose myself to this kind of torture. While people flock to the uoft because of reputation, I think this is overrated for a school that cannot even manage its admissions.

Guest shoutty

I've heard of people who were rejected by U of T (post interview) and did not make the waiting list so the admissions committee isn't as incompetent as you may think.

Guest stargirl

Maxell,

I emailed Maureen Shandling (Director of Student Admissions) after I got the waitlist letter to try and find out how long the list was...while she wouldn't give me a number she said "while a significant portion of interviewed applicants are on our waiting list, not all candidates are wait listed"...I figure it must be true or she wouldn't put it in writing...that's the easiest way to get yourself into trouble...

Guest Asystole

I had to reply to U of T/OMSAS by the 3rd of July. And while I have yet to see anyone state that they were rejected post-interview I assume there probably are some that are just laying low. I find that U of T is a more competitive atmosphere just from these forums. There are more people on the other school forums that freely admit to being rejected or even just waitlisted. Bear in mind that the people that were rejected are in the minority. It is rumoured that the waitlist is ~100 ppl. If we assume that that's true for the sake of argument than ~460 ppl were interviewed, ~240 were accepted 1st round. If all these numbers are close than that leaves 460-240-100=120 rejections. I know its frustrating and stressful waiting, been there, done that.

Guest stargirl

by the way, thanks for sharing your "story", i've been meaning to post back, as i have a few positive comments/opinions regarding your application experience that i wanted to send your way...just haven't had time as work etc. is making my life a bit hectic these days...will get to it this weekend though.

Guest maxell

asystole: do you mind if I ask you a few questions directly via email in preparation of my new application? This is the second time I have been so-called "wait-listed" by this school and I am at loss as to what I am doing wrong (bill gregg told me last year that my application and interview had nothing wrong with it and was perfectly fine, - but apparently not good enough). It would be helpful if I could get a new perspective on some issues.

I realize that this may seem an imposition and you may not wish to communicate with me, or may not have the time. If you do have time, please respond to this post. Thanks.

Guest maxell

No worries, I don't know how much help I will be but I'll give it a shot if you want to e-mail me at gr_pyr@yahoo.ca

I am hardly an expert at the admissions process but I'll try to help you out with what I have learned.

Until then, later Asystole

Guest anom

Regarding your initial comment: no wonder you can relax and do not persist on "visiting this site an infinite number of times daily". If you had been on the waiting list upto now, and would have spent the next year wasting your life on some menial research job that you have no interest in, you would have felt differently. Now that you are in, you choose to - in effect- insult us all by calling us not "well rounded". Maybe you are one of the people who slipped through the cracks and who should have never been admitted in the first place.

You are pretty funny. I actually am one of the guys who slipped through the cracks, does that bother you? But none the less we will be colleagues!! :)

See you on rounds

Archived