Premed 101 Forums

grades

hey

what do people think about whether having honors vs. Pass would be a big advantage / disadvantage for competitive specialties like optho or ENT or any of those

because my school has HPF with only the top 10% getting it I think (UBC) but most schools from what I understand just go P/F

hey

what do people think about whether having honors vs. Pass would be a big advantage / disadvantage for competitive specialties like optho or ENT or any of those

because my school has HPF with only the top 10% getting it I think (UBC) but most schools from what I understand just go P/F

I am guessing it may help you to have more honours when competing with applicants from your school who have got less honours. But when compared to applicants from schools that have only P/F, I don't think it makes a difference, and a good proportion of canadian med schools use P/F nowadays. Besides, it doesn't seem that grades play an overwhelmingly important role in residency selection.

I am guessing it may help you to have more honours when competing with applicants from your school who have got less honours. But when compared to applicants from schools that have only P/F, I don't think it makes a difference, and a good proportion of canadian med schools use P/F nowadays. Besides, it doesn't seem that grades play an overwhelmingly important role in residency selection.

Also, the way Honours passes are given out varies between schools, which makes them even less reliable for comparing candidates from different institutions.

At MUN Pass Outstandings (aka honours) require you getting higher than a 95% in a course or being greater than 2 standard deviations above the class mean. You could be the top student in the class and still not get honours if you don't meet one of those criteria. Other schools it seems to me give honours for the top x% of the class.

Archived