Premed 101 Forums

Advice on applying to various med schools + MCAT

vraev

Hi guys,

I am currently at the bottom of the wheel in terms of motivation and confidence. I am no where near the top or probably even the mid section of the applicants applying to ontario med schools this year. To give a bit of perspective:

- My undergrad was a un-even: Goofed off in 1st (3.2) and 2nd year (3.4), picked up steam in 3rd (3.83) and 4th (3.8)

- Been horrible with the MCAT so far

1st attempt: P9, V8, B10 WR

2nd attempt: P10, V10, B9 WR

3rd attempt (July 2): P10, V7, B10, WS :(

4th attempt (August 25) :eek: :eek:

- Didn't get in after my undergrad 04-08; Currently doing my masters (finished year 1)

I just don't know what to do. My MCAT scores don't go up no matter what I do. I have been trying sooo hard to balance everything in life but it seems like I am just the most unluckiest guy on earth with respect to the MCAT. I have used princeton review materials for my first 2 times. I bought the entire set of examcrackers materials for the 3rd time. I have been practicing on paper materials for the last 2 times and so far as well for the 4th time. I just don't know what I am messing up. Its not that I don't know the material. I have been trying to isolate some of my weak areas in the sciences. I always came out of the MCAT thinking I did great on P and B sections...but I have always been disappointed. Verbal I never seem to finish on time and end up guessing the entire last passage.

Either way...I am really concerned about these multiple MCAT attempts. My score hasn't been going up at all. How do you think the ontario med schools will perceive this? Do u think I have better chances in US than canada now? :(

Please!! Any advice is appreciated.

thanks,

AV

Hi there!,

With your GPA you are probably looking at Western or Queens in Ontario (?), and you got your GPA where it needs to be to get interviews at these schools and you just need the cut off MCAT scores now. The bad news of course is you haven't hit them yet, but the good news is that my understanding is that these schools do not care about how many times you took the test, just your best or lastest score (depending on the school). Worst case you just keep retaking it until you get those cut offs (annoying, but you will get the score you need that way!). Your doing a masters so there is time to do this :)

I am a little vaguer on the US, but my understanding is many schools look at multiple MCATs (beyond 3 attempts) as being unfavourable.

Hi guys,

I am currently at the bottom of the wheel in terms of motivation and confidence. I am no where near the top or probably even the mid section of the applicants applying to ontario med schools this year. To give a bit of perspective:

- My undergrad was a un-even: Goofed off in 1st (3.2) and 2nd year (3.4), picked up steam in 3rd (3.83) and 4th (3.8)

- Been horrible with the MCAT so far

1st attempt: P9, V8, B10 WR

2nd attempt: P10, V10, B9 WR

3rd attempt (July 2): P10, V7, B10, WS

4th attempt (August 25)

- Didn't get in after my undergrad 04-08; Currently doing my masters (finished year 1)

I just don't know what to do. My MCAT scores don't go up no matter what I do. I have been trying sooo hard to balance everything in life but it seems like I am just the most unluckiest guy on earth with respect to the MCAT. I have used princeton review materials for my first 2 times. I bought the entire set of examcrackers materials for the 3rd time. I have been practicing on paper materials for the last 2 times and so far as well for the 4th time. I just don't know what I am messing up. Its not that I don't know the material. I have been trying to isolate some of my weak areas in the sciences. I always came out of the MCAT thinking I did great on P and B sections...but I have always been disappointed. Verbal I never seem to finish on time and end up guessing the entire last passage.

Either way...I am really concerned about these multiple MCAT attempts. My score hasn't been going up at all. How do you think the ontario med schools will perceive this? Do u think I have better chances in US than canada now? :(

Please!! Any advice is appreciated.

thanks,

AV

I believe some schools also look at a weighted average of all of your MCAT scores, but luckily there are some that only take your best one. However, like rmorelan stated, doing it too many times isn't good. You definitely have the GPA though given your 3rd and 4th year. Also, given UOttawa's GPA marking system you have a good chance there because your GPA according to their scale is 3.71 which may get you an interview.

I believe some schools also look at a weighted average of all of your MCAT scores, but luckily there are some that only take your best one. However, like rmorelan stated, doing it too many times isn't good. You definitely have the GPA though given your 3rd and 4th year. Also, given UOttawa's GPA marking system you have a good chance there because your GPA according to their scale is 3.71 which may get you an interview.

I think 3.71 might get you an interview if you're from the Ottawa area. Otherwise, its still do-able, but more difficult. Almost no chance if your not from Ontario.

Also, I wouldn't write the MCAT any more times. Too many scores look bad, and your second MCAT mark isnt that bad. Its balanced, and meets the requirements to many schools (in and out of Ontario).

I think 3.71 might get you an interview if you're from the Ottawa area. Otherwise, its still do-able, but more difficult. Almost no chance if your not from Ontario.

Also, I wouldn't write the MCAT any more times. Too many scores look bad, and your second MCAT mark isnt that bad. Its balanced, and meets the requirements to many schools (in and out of Ontario).

Yeah i guess if 3.71 is not bad if you're from Ottawa or an under serviced area. I believe the GPA cut off for Ottawa U applicants from Ottawa was like 3.65 last year.

Also, I wouldn't write the MCAT any more times. Too many scores look bad, and your second MCAT mark isnt that bad (in and out of Ontario).

Just checking to see if I am not giving bad advice (which would suck!) - is there a school that posts somewhere that too many MCATs in Canada is bad?

Thanks for the advice guys. I have seriously hit the bottom with the previous attempt at the mcat failing like this. I guess my only explanation is not enough practice thanks to the time I have to spend at the lab etc...but I do realize that it's not a good excuse. I guess the only thing I can think of doing differently this time is to do some online prctice tests which I haven't done after my first mcat attempt since my access to Princeton's website was over. I have finally called them today and got an extension and I guess this is all I can do......practice....practice and more practice. The sad part is when I used to do my practice for the first attempt, I never got lower than 12 in physics and 11 in bio. On the real thing I don't know why it never works.

Archived