Internet Personality vs. Real Life Personality

How much does internet personality correlate to real life personality  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How much does internet personality correlate to real life personality

• People act on the site very similarly to how they would act in real life
    • People are typically nicer on the internet than they are in real life
    • People are typically meaner on the internet than they are in real life
    • There is no way of knowing

Actually, relating the "everyday" conduct of most individuals to adcom impressions is ridiculous--people rarely "perform" to their best of their abilities or show their true colours in interviews (the reason why so many d-bags get in and so many wonderful candidates get shafted each year post-interview!).

amen to that! did i tell u i love you :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've noticed a common theme on this site. Sometimes when someone gives really helpful, kind advice, someone will respond with a line like "wow you're so nice, you're going to make a great doctor!" The opposite is true when people give snarky, sarcastic comments, and get a line like "I pity your future patients".

I was wondering, how much does one's internet personality really correlate to how they would act in a real life situation? Are they nicer or meaner on the net than in real life? Maybe its impossible to tell? I'm interested in hearing what people think about this

You bring up a good discussion; these thoughts have passed my mind too.

Ultimately, as I voted, there's just no way of knowing.

As for me, I'd like to think I'm a more compassionate person in the 'real – world' versus pm101 'internet-world'. It's a bit challenging to have a great conversation and/or truly help someone when you remove that face-to-face communication. Warm fuzzy, anyone? :)

In contrast, I am more sarcastic in real-life, which I don't fully perpetuate on pm101 (too much room for misunderstanding or offending someone).

We all contribute to the forum, in our own way. It is what it is. ;)

Well, initially I thought Newf was a little arrogant kid that would be a laugh to cock fight with, but now I think hes a cool guy who doesn't have a disconnect between his mind and his keyboard. I also thought Law was a super hyper annoying guy on the forum who had little to contribute but now I think hes just an enthusiastic and eclectic person, which I find cool. Only thing that made me change my mind for both Newf and Law was that I added them on fb and msn and got to know them better. Sooo I'm gonna say no way of knowing.

And I know many people think I'm an agro-douche from my posts, but just check with Sandlocks if you want to know how I really am IRL. :P

Well, initially I thought Newf was a little arrogant kid that would be a laugh to cock fight with, but now I think hes a cool guy who doesn't have a disconnect between his mind and his keyboard. I also thought Law was a super hyper annoying guy on the forum who had little to contribute but now I think hes just an enthusiastic and eclectic person, which I find cool. Only thing that made me change my mind for both Newf and Law was that I added them on fb and msn and got to know them better. Sooo I'm gonna say no way of knowing.

And I know many people think I'm an agro-douche from my posts, but just check with Sandlocks if you want to know how I really am IRL. :P

really? I thought you were an annoying mainlander even after I got to know you better...weird...

JAYKAY!!!

It's really hard to determine, because everyone responds to the internet differently. Some may be more shy in real life, or more shy on the internet, it really depends on the individual. The thing is that internet interactions can be very different from in-person interactions, just to begin with. So at times it's like comparing apples with oranges.

Well, initially I thought Newf was a little arrogant kid

hmm, well I am somewhat slower than you and your above remarks from another era and sum up well my best thoughts about him:D , although you were very kind in these rather tame remarks sticking to 'arrogant'. I will leave it at that as I want to be positive. Should he is a good guy, I hope he makes it into med:) and stays in NFL:p where he will be most appreciated. I believe in live and let live.......When I open his posts from my ignore list, I just see his internet persona on this forum and I am glad that others are able to see more than that. I also believe there is hope for everybody, lol, especially in the realm of self-improvement, lol. Personally, I always strive for self-improvement. So, I guesss your comment "no way of knowing" does make sense, and I will have an open mind b/c of what you say. You defiintely do not describe your persona accurately, you appear to be that kkooll cat whom I am sure you are.:)

hmm, well I am somewhat slower than you and your above remarks from another era and sum up well my best thoughts about him:D , although you were very kind in these rather tame remarks sticking to 'arrogant'. I will leave it at that as I want to be positive. Should he is a good guy, I hope he makes it into med:) and stays in NFL:p where he will be most appreciated. I believe in live and let live.......When I open his posts from my ignore list, I just see his internet persona on this forum and I am glad that others are able to see more than that. I also believe there is hope for everybody, lol, especially in the realm of self-improvement, lol. Personally, I always strive for self-improvement. So, I guesss your comment "no way of knowing" does make sense, and I will have an open mind b/c of what you say. You defiintely do not describe your persona accurately, you appear to be that kkooll cat whom I am sure you are.:)

I think Mike's a great guy...but I do not understand your statement "and stays in NFL:P where he will be most appreciated" --what are you implying? Why would he be "most" appreciated in NL? Are Africans "most appreciated" in Africa?

I am stating that every province pays for the education of their med students and need their own. He is from NFL and therefore, he will be most appreciated in the province that provided him with the opportunity to receive a medical education there, assuming that is where he studies. I intend to stay in my province and I assume that most of us feel that way. I never said he is African but most certainly, African students who study mediicne in Canada would be greatly appreciated in their home countries too. Things being equal, in addition to practicing in my home province, I would like to be able to do humanitarian medical work in areas of the world where the need exists, such as Africa.

I am stating that every province pays for the education of their med students and need their own. He is from NFL and therefore, he will be most appreciated in the province that provided him with the opportunity to receive a medical education there, assuming that is where he studies. I intend to stay in my province and I assume that most of us feel that way. I never said he is African but most certainly, African students who study mediicne in Canada would be greatly appreciated in their home countries too. Things being equal, in addition to practicing in my home province, I would like to be able to do humanitarian medical work in areas of the world where the need exists, such as Africa.

Now I understand you--it was not clear that you were speaking of "medicine" and financial support, but of ethnicity. I used the example of Africa to clarify how your posting was coming across.

I suggest you read "House of God"...while it may be a bit extreme, there is some truth to the mental exhaustion and depression (cynicism and bitterness are common manifestations) that people have to deal with in professions such as medicine (I have experienced it myself, in Africa...and I have watched my husband go through it with his profession).

I agree, working in your native province is a great way to support your "home"; however, I think no less of those who move away (unless they come home to sit on EI for 6mths...lol).

Cnussey, I think I need to thank you for making me more sensitive to how I come across in what I say, and we will see perhaps from my future postings. The thought of ethnicity never crossed my mind nor am I aware of the ethnicity of any of our members nor do I care - other than to say that diversity is great, I have been brought up in a multi-ethnic muilti-cultural environment and G-d bless diversity b/c we are all G-d's children. In my ideal practice, I will be professionally fuliflled healing, helping patients, hopefully extending their lives with an acceptable quality of life, yes I want a lifestyle too (that I don't have) for my future family, and I would like to be able t o devote one month a year in pro bono humanitarian work in places like Africa where we can make a difference. I have a dentist, older practitioner, so he is not typical, and he told me that and good dentist after ten years should be able to make a good living in max three and a half days, leaving the other days to teaching dental students, hobbies, dental conferences, lecturing and family. With him as a model and not intending to clone him, I think we can bbe responsible enough to arrange our professional lives over time to accomplish all our goals. I agree absolutely with your statement about those who leave their home province, no disrespect intended. I will try to get hold of that book sometime.

Cnussey, I think I need to thank you for making me more sensitive to how I come across in what I say, and we will see perhaps from my future postings. The thought of ethnicity never crossed my mind nor am I aware of the ethnicity of any of our members nor do I care - other than to say that diversity is great, I have been brought up in a multi-ethnic muilti-cultural environment and G-d bless diversity b/c we are all G-d's children. In my ideal practice, I will be professionally fuliflled healing, helping patients, hopefully extending their lives with an acceptable quality of life, yes I want a lifestyle too (that I don't have) for my future family, and I would like to be able t o devote one month a year in pro bono humanitarian work in places like Africa where we can make a difference. I have a dentist, older practitioner, so he is not typical, and he told me that and good dentist after ten years should be able to make a good living in max three and a half days, leaving the other days to teaching dental students, hobbies, dental conferences, lecturing and family. With him as a model and not intending to clone him, I think we can bbe responsible enough to arrange our professional lives over time to accomplish all our goals. I agree absolutely with your statement about those who leave their home province, no disrespect intended. I will try to get hold of that book sometime.

I've spent my entire degree online--I'm used to things being taken out of context (oh boy can classmates ever come across as jerks) and was confused over your underlying meaning (that's why I asked you to clarify...tone and intent are often misconstrued).

Spending time offering your professional services in underserved areas is a great thing and you will find that the "main" service you offer is not the only thing you will be doing. Go for it.

The book is popular...but it seems to be unpopular with profs and medical instructors so don't bring it up in your interviews.

I've spent my entire degree online--I'm used to things being taken out of context (oh boy can classmates ever come across as jerks) and was confused over your underlying meaning (that's why I asked you to clarify...tone and intent are often misconstrued).

On the other side of the coin so that you have full disclosure, Newfie has repeatedly shown he does not think much of me and my so-called meaningless banterings:p on this forum and I have only put one person on the "ignore list" that I recently discovered - him. I invited him to put me on his ignore list but he refuses.:( So, I think it is fair to say that we recirpocate feelings for each other at this time.

On the other side of the coin so that you have full disclosure, Newfie has repeatedly shown he does not think much of me and my so-called meaningless banterings:p on this forum and I have only put one person on the "ignore list" that I recently discovered - him. I invited him to put me on his ignore list but he refuses.:( So, I think it is fair to say that we recirpocate feelings for each other at this time.

Lol--you know, sometimes it really doesn't matter how kind people are to each other...some personalities don't "click". You can't like everyone and everyone cannot like you (a sad reality). There will always be people that irritate other people--even without intent.

The worse kind are the ones you are related to (can't put them on ignore lists).

We might hit it off in person, he has already asked if anybody met me, lol, but we sure don't get along on this site. Just being ourselves, we sure know how to get to the other, e.g., although he is on my ignore list, I must take a purposeful extra step to read what I blocked....and I do, go figure.

We might hit it off in person, he has already asked if anybody met me, lol, but we sure don't get along on this site. Just being ourselves, we sure know how to get to the other, e.g., although he is on my ignore list, I must take a purposeful extra step to read what I blocked....and I do, go figure.

Curiosity killed the cat.

1) Subtleties of speech don't translate well into text.

2) Many people, including physicians, do not know how to carry themselves in writing. Proper wording and vocabulary are paramount to conveying ideas and emotions properly through text. This takes time, and many people aren't willing to spend the time to carefully think through what they are writing

3) The internet is anonymous. You can bully people without ever revealing yourself, which says a lot about a person.

Archived