Premed 101 Forums

Any advice will be appreciated

Hello fellow non-trads. I think, I reached the breaking point and decided to reach out for help/advice from non-traditional applicants who are staying sane on their quest to become an MD.

About me: 29, B.A./B.Ed. (double degree), 3.9 GPA, NO science background (except for high school courses). Immigrated to Canada in 2002 from Europe, took whole seven years to get established…have a job with a crazy schedule, mortgage to pay, relationship…but can’t let go of the idea of practicing medicine…getting into medical school for now :)

I feel like I have wasted a lot of time and still don’t know were to start. I would prefer not to start a new degree to satisfy the pre-requisite requirements for some schools, because then I would not be able to apply to Western without finishing the second degree. I looked for non-degree science programs/courses…I ‘woke up’ too late for some and have to wait till next school year; courses (biology, chemistry, physics), the ones I found, seem to be taught at the same time, and I would have to choose one or the other. Does anyone know of science program/courses in Toronto that I could take? Is anybody in the same boat like I am?

I will appreciate any advice, except for – “Give up on the idea, you are too old, there is no hope”, that I can come up on my own. :)

You could try doing some of your prereqs through correspondance. That way you don't have to worry about conflicts and they have rolling admission so you don't have to worry about missing the deadline to enrol. Since you already have a solid GPA you probably don't need to do your prereqs as part of a degree program either. Most people who do second degrees do it because they need to boost up their GPA.

I agree with Andrea. You could satisfy some med schools by doing your pre-reqs through correspondence (ie Athabasca, Canadian Virtual University). Just be warned that some med schools don't like correspondence courses... especially for pre-reqs (ie McGill). And many of the science courses (Chem in particular) have lab components which you'll have to either schedule with a nearby school or make time to travel and do these labs for a week.

Hello fellow non-trads. I think, I reached the breaking point and decided to reach out for help/advice from non-traditional applicants who are staying sane on their quest to become an MD.

About me: 29, B.A./B.Ed. (double degree), 3.9 GPA, NO science background (except for high school courses). Immigrated to Canada in 2002 from Europe, took whole seven years to get established…have a job with a crazy schedule, mortgage to pay, relationship…but can’t let go of the idea of practicing medicine…getting into medical school for now :)

I feel like I have wasted a lot of time and still don’t know were to start. I would prefer not to start a new degree to satisfy the pre-requisite requirements for some schools, because then I would not be able to apply to Western without finishing the second degree. I looked for non-degree science programs/courses…I ‘woke up’ too late for some and have to wait till next school year; courses (biology, chemistry, physics), the ones I found, seem to be taught at the same time, and I would have to choose one or the other. Does anyone know of science program/courses in Toronto that I could take? Is anybody in the same boat like I am?

I will appreciate any advice, except for – “Give up on the idea, you are too old, there is no hope”, that I can come up on my own. :)

No time wasted....Go for it!

Distance education is another option. UW and Athabasca have science courses by DE, which could be of interest to you?

Also, did you do your undergrad in Canada? Have you figured out your OMSAS cGPA?

We're here to help, so ask away.

:D

Thanks Halcyon.

I did my undergrad back in Europe. When I moved to Canada I had WES (World Education Services) evaluate my degree and convert my grades. I am basing my GPA on that conversion. How is it different from OMSAS cGPA?

Good question.

Have you read through the OMSAS application manual? I highly suggest it. It should help you figure out you cGPA (OMSAS-style), based on your WES assessment. If not, contact OMSAS directly.

http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/b_omsas_e.pdf

Best wishes!

:)

Good question.

Have you read through the OMSAS application manual? I highly suggest it. It should help you figure out you cGPA (OMSAS-style), based on your WES assessment. If not, contact OMSAS directly.

Best wishes!

Yeah, it is a bit messy but still doable! You probably also want to contact each school about their policies as well.

On that note, Ottawa specifically mentions the WES as they means to obtain equivalent grades for that school, which is a good sign!

Hey OKS4,

I see you have a BEd. Did you not like teaching?

I didn't really get to teach much. I left for Canada 2 days after graduation. I worked at a private school during my final years of university and taught at a high school for about 3 months. Enjoyed the interaction with students but the idea of teaching the same subject year after year wasn't that appealing.

Good question.

Best wishes!

Looked through it a couple of months ago. Will read it tonight. Thanks!

Archived