Premed 101 Forums

Question for Rmorelan and other uw graduates

DOC_Ma

Hey

I am just wondering if any of you guys have taken a 499 (honours thesis project worth 1 full credit) at uw. Question is whether or not this course is considered a lecture course or a lab course, I need this to fullfill the 12 science lecture credits I need to graduate from honours science. Thanks in advance

Hey

I am just wondering if any of you guys have taken a 499 (honours thesis project worth 1 full credit) at uw. Question is whether or not this course is considered a lecture course or a lab course, I need this to fullfill the 12 science lecture credits I need to graduate from honours science. Thanks in advance

Hi there - I did take a couple of 499 ones - one in psych and the other in biol - are you talking about the biology one? I am pretty sure that doesn't count as a lab course - my program review by the associate dean put that as a lecture course. That was for honours biomedical science but that program has a similar lab versus lecture set of rules :)

Hi! I did a 494 (which is what that 4th year thesis course is called if you're in Chemistry/Biochemistry) and I believe it would be a lecture course, (even though there are no lectures and you're doing research the whole time) for the sole reason that it will come up on your transcript as, ie. CHEM 494A/B (depending on the term) or BIOL 499A/B. Any lab I've taken has always been CHEM 120L, or BIOL 140L, etc, with the "L" obviously indicating it is a lab credit. Even the 6 hour labs worth the same credit value as a normal course (0.5 credits) were always CHEM 224L.

However... I would definitely check with your program advisor to make sure this is acceptable. Also... if you're trying to get an Honours Science degree, I'm not totally sure you can get into the thesis course. I could be wrong, but I know that when I was there, both the BIOL 499 and CHEM 494 were competitive and intended for students studying that major. But like I said, I could totally be wrong and there are always exceptions, so definitely double check, especially as a 4th year thesis can be a really good experience!

This counts as a lecture course, not a lab course. Taking it is a great experience, and it gives you the opportunity to learn a whole new set of skills.

Regarding what sobes74 said, make sure you are eligible before signing up. Here's what the Uni Calendar has to say:

Note: Normally, only students attaining either a 73% or better cumulative major average or a 78% or better major average in their two most recent terms (normally 3A and 3B) will be accepted into this course. May only be taken with the permission of the BIOL 499 co-ordinator. Consult the BIOL 499 manual for details. A final grade for BIOL 499A will be submitted only after completion of 499B. Normally, BIOL 499A and 499B may not be taken concurrently without prior permission of the BIOL 499 co-ordinator]

Department Consent Required

Prereq: Cumulative Major Average at least 73%; Honours Biology, Biochemistry, Biomedical Sciences, Bioinformatics students only

Hope this was helpful.

EDIT: D'oh! You managed to post again while I was composing my reply. So it looks like my information is already redundant. Oh well.

This counts as a lecture course, not a lab course. Taking it is a great experience, and it gives you the opportunity to learn a whole new set of skills.

Regarding what sobes74 said, make sure you are eligible before signing up. Here's what the Uni Calendar has to say:

Hope this was helpful.

EDIT: D'oh! You managed to post again while I was composing my reply. So it looks like my information is already redundant. Oh well.

Ya thanks anyway, my current supervisor is in charge of this course's enrollment and I will be doing it with him. He promised a good mark if I worked as hard as I did this summer :)

My advice for a 494/499 would be to really make sure you're comfortable working with the prof/grad student who will be responsible for overseeing you day-to-day. I did a 499 and the prof really gave me no direction etc so I felt like I didn't really accomplish anything and it was very frustrating.

My advice for a 494/499 would be to really make sure you're comfortable working with the prof/grad student who will be responsible for overseeing you day-to-day. I did a 499 and the prof really gave me no direction etc so I felt like I didn't really accomplish anything and it was very frustrating.

Thanks for the advice, I am doing it with a supervisor that I have volunteered for for 1.5 years + a summer of NSERC and 2 papers we co-author'ed plus he gave me a strong reference for med school this summer and almost gave me the hint that I will get 90+ (he said an 85+ would be a terrible mark for me in this course based on my work ethics). I dunno, he might change tho, no one can predict the future.

Hey Japlanet, do you know any easy 300 lvl courses? I need to choose some really really easy 300 lvl course.

Hey Japlanet, do you know any easy 300 lvl courses? I need to choose some really really easy 300 lvl course.

That really depends on what you find easy. I got a ridiculous mark in BIOL 308 because I find molecular bio super easy; others do exceptionally well in 373 because they rock physio.

For all-around easy, BIOL 359 (evolution) is an awesome course with an awesome prof and is very easy to do well in. BIOL 366 is also really easy if you are at all comfortable with math and the concept of algorithms.

Avoid histo and cell bio (331) not because they are hard but because the profs make it nearly impossible to do well (it's more a lottery than a course).

That really depends on what you find easy. I got a ridiculous mark in BIOL 308 because I find molecular bio super easy; others do exceptionally well in 373 because they rock physio.

For all-around easy, BIOL 359 (evolution) is an awesome course with an awesome prof and is very easy to do well in. BIOL 366 is also really easy if you are at all comfortable with math and the concept of algorithms.

Avoid histo and cell bio (331) not because they are hard but because the profs make it nearly impossible to do well (it's more a lottery than a course).

Hey thanks, I have taken the ones you mentioned are easy, and will be taking biol 359 this winter. Currently I chose REC 380 do you think it's a good idea?

I loved BIOL 359. Evolution is cool :)

I also did very well in BIOL 366.

Hey

Thanks for posting this.

Last week, it crossed my mind that I should look into doing the BIOL 499 series. I noticed a couple courses that I want to take in the winter 2010 term are being offered at inconvenient times, meaning too many days on-campus. Any course that doesn't involve physically going to classes is a great course for me! :)

Do you know when the deadline to sign-up is? If it's soon, I better start tracking down my supervisor!

Also, I'm open to any other ideas! Thanks!

:D

Hey thanks, I have taken the ones you mentioned are easy, and will be taking biol 359 this winter. Currently I chose REC 380 do you think it's a good idea?

DOC_Ma:

To answer your question, the courses I took for the B.A. part of my degree were mostly essay- or assignment-based (with long answer/essay-based finals). As such, I haven't got many good suggestions for easy M/C Arts courses.

Sorry :o

p.s. I have to vent. I cannot stand this new pre-enrolment system.

Thanks for posting this.

Last week, it crossed my mind that I should look into doing the BIOL 499 series. I noticed a couple courses that I want to take in the winter 2010 term are being offered at inconvenient times, meaning too many days on-campus. Any course that doesn't involve physically going to classes is a great course for me! :)

Do you know when the deadline to sign-up is? If it's soon, I better start tracking down my supervisor!

Also, I'm open to any other ideas! Thanks!

:D

Hey

for 499 I believe you can enroll now still as long as u can find a supervisor. It is a good idea to take it in your case because you get to pick when to work and when not to. Good luck.

Hey

for 499 I believe you can enroll now still as long as u can find a supervisor. It is a good idea to take it in your case because you get to pick when to work and when not to. Good luck.

Thanks!

Yeah, I've got a supervisor, if needed. Not sure if I'd be allowed to take it or add it at this point. Either way, I'll look into this coming week and see if it's a good plan or not. Otherwise, just regular courses for me. Already, I have the BA thesis done from last year.

Good luck with the term!

• 2 weeks later...
DOC_Ma:

To answer your question, the courses I took for the B.A. part of my degree were mostly essay- or assignment-based (with long answer/essay-based finals). As such, I haven't got many good suggestions for easy M/C Arts courses.

Sorry :o

p.s. I have to vent. I cannot stand this new pre-enrolment system.

DOC_Ma:

Did you end up finding some good Faculty of Arts courses you want for the winter term? I ended up remembering some courses that I took, which were M/C based.

(They are all starting to blend together at this point, haha!)

Happy Fall Term!

Haly

Greetings to those reprezentin' UW...;)

I've been told I should take BIOL 361, as I haven't yet. Looks like it is an evening course; plus, I like stats.

Thoughts?

I got a solid 90 in that course, it was well run with assignments you can do well in and predictable exams. No surprises, put in a reasonable amount of work and things go well!

Also the prof I had as well. Solid 90 for me as well, fair amount of work but no tricks or surprises. Btw can you pm me the courses in arts that are MC based? I took arts 301 already btw

I took/take a lot of the course via DE at Waterloo and practically all the DE arts courses are multiple choice except the economics ones after 2nd year. I have take about 35 of them that way - PM if you have an area in arts you are interesting in and I will be happy to go into details :)

Archived