Premed 101 Forums

Formal Education category

Discussion on putting an animals ethics course can be found in this thread:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36769

I don't think there is an absolute yes/no or formal education/others answer. Just do what you think is best (I know this is wishy-washy advice, but I think OMSAS does this deliberately to frustrate applicants!)

Discussion on putting an animals ethics course can be found in this thread:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36769

I don't think there is an absolute yes/no or formal education/others answer. Just do what you think is best (I know this is wishy-washy advice, but I think OMSAS does this deliberately to frustrate applicants!)

Yeah it can be a bit annoying as people are worried about messing something up. OMSAS sometime is not the clearest.

I think what is important is those schools that care about all of these things really do take the time to read the entire application. As long as what you are doing follows some reasonable logic, you are not going to be smacked around :)

On a side note, really, really make sure what you do put in there is spelling mistake free - I made that mistake (chief, instead of chef, grrrr :)) and was called out on it. Get someone (and then someone else....) to read it over.

Any other course or certification I put under O (except NLS which I put as extracurricular)

I would personally put qualifications/certifications such as NLS as an award/achievement (since it could technically be considered those depending on how you argue it). I mean, you do get a badge, and it makes you a member of a society, so it must be an achievement :D

I have taken bioethics, but am not mentioning this. It is on the transcript. On the other hand, one of my credit courses was a clinical internship with chronic elderly patients with neurological problems and I mention this course specifically in Formal Education in terms of describing my rsponsbilitirs with patients. I have taken course to be able to do EMS responding and I mention these courses, and other studies I have taken outside of school.

I have taken bioethics, but am not mentioning this. It is on the transcript. On the other hand, one of my credit courses was a clinical internship with chronic elderly patients with neurological problems and I mention this course specifically in Formal Education in terms of describing my rsponsbilitirs with patients. I have taken course to be able to do EMS responding and I mention these courses, and other studies I have taken outside of school.
Bioethics isn't really the same thing though. In most schools, if you want to work in an animal research lab you need to take an animal care course. It's not for school credit.

Formal Education entries do not allow for a verifier maybe because they assume they'll get a transcript? I was going to enter a few other courses (Marine Emergency Duties, Marine First Aid, etc). I took these from a college and if I enter them in either 'Formal Ed' or 'Other' then I cannot put a verifier. To me I feel like I should have verification for something like this where I will not be providing documentation...thoughts?

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure they could send a transcript but I just don't think its all that relevant. They're courses I took for my summer job. I'm not even sure they're anything more than certificates from a college, no different than a first aid certificate. Where are you guys putting this stuff?

You are required to give full disclosure of all studies and transcripts, so relevant or not, order the official transcripts now. You do not want to have your application disqualified for failure to produce the documentation you know you are required to produce. I do not think you have an option to pick and choose what is relevant and what is not.

Archived