Premed 101 Forums

Shadowing a doctor.

sparkles3288

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I have a quick Q--how does one go about obtaining a doctor to shadow? I did a search of my city's doctors and came up with over 3000, so i'm feeling a little overwhelmed as to how to go about contacting them all? I believe I read before how others just email and ask but this seems unreasonable to do.

Thanks so much everyone!!

Basically, you just ask a doctor if they don't mind you shadowing them.

I drove my grandmother to her GP for her regular check up and while I was there I just told him I was interested in medicine and asked if I could shadow him while I was staying with my grandparents. He had absolutely no problem with it.

It's really easy to ask a doctor. The worst they can do is say "no", and then you just go and find someone else.

what do patients have to say about non-medical students shadowing?

I would be kindof uncomfortable if some random university student was there while i answered the docs questions...

My doc had a person shadow him once while I was there and he just asked me before starting if I was comfortable having a person doing a job shadow in the room. I was just there for a prescription refill so I didn't care at all.

I would be kindof uncomfortable if some random university student was there while i answered the docs questions...

I did some shadowing during my break (as a med student), and everybody was more than willing to let me to come in with the doctor. We didn't bother trying to sit in on Pap smears, though, which I didn't mind too much. ;) As long as you show up presentable/professional in a shirt and tie or something dressy if you're a girl. As for a regular university student, I'm guessing at least most people would be OK with it, as long as the doctor introduced you as someone interested in applying to medicine.

The doc I shadowed always went in to great the patient first, without me, and ask them if it was ok if I came in. Some patients said no, which was fine because then I just helped out in the office, but most of them were fine with me sitting in on their appointment.

Archived