Premed 101 Forums

summer courses = "supplementary"?

If I took a 4 credit course (organic chem) in the summer of first year - should I select "supplementary" in the Duration box? I also took a 9-credit language course the next summer - would this be classified as the same?

Also, should I enter the courses as separate semesters or as "Full-time"? Is something like organic chemistry 1 and 2 considered a full-year course when I took them in separate years? Most of my courses - maybe except for 1st year just run for one semester instead of a full year. Ie. the courses I take in fall semester (worth 3 or 4 credits each depending on if there's a lab) are totally unrelated to the courses in winter semester.

Is it true that some schools don't count summer courses in the GPA or as required courses?

If I took a 4 credit course (organic chem) in the summer of first year - should I select "supplementary" in the Duration box? I also took a 9-credit language course the next summer - would this be classified as the same?

Also, should I enter the courses as separate semesters or as "Full-time"? Is something like organic chemistry 1 and 2 considered a full-year course when I took them in separate years? Most of my courses - maybe except for 1st year just run for one semester instead of a full year. Ie. the courses I take in fall semester (worth 3 or 4 credits each depending on if there's a lab) are totally unrelated to the courses in winter semester.

Is it true that some schools don't count summer courses in the GPA or as required courses?

Yes, summer courses go under supplementary.

As far as I know, all schools count summer courses as part of your required courses, but some don't count them in their GPA calculations. Just look at the websites of the schools you're interested in and you'll find that info.

Thanks thatonekid!

What about courses during the regular session? (I go to McGill - I'm not sure if UofT courses run on a different schedule) Each course runs for half a year (Sept - Dec) or (Jan - April) - I'm not sure if this is the same as a "full year"

Ie. for last year, should I put Fall semester - 2008 and Winter semester -2009 in separate years?

Thanks thatonekid!

What about courses during the regular session? (I go to McGill - I'm not sure if UofT courses run on a different schedule) Each course runs for half a year (Sept - Dec) or (Jan - April) - I'm not sure if this is the same as a "full year"

Ie. for last year, should I put Fall semester - 2008 and Winter semester -2009 in separate years?

Full time vs part time is whether you went to school full time or part time. It doesn't really have to do with whether your courses were semester ones or not. That info go under the course credit amount. Unless McGill does their school year differently, but it should be Sept-Apr. But, then again, I don't know about how McGill does things.

Archived