Premed 101 Forums

Is this a bad mcat score?

Right2

I got mixed reactions from people after getting a 36P 14ps-10vr-12bs on the mcat. Should I rewrite or do I still have a chance with that score especially the writing section?? I was hoping to try for Queens and Western this time around. Do I still have a shot at those schools?? I really need help before I submit my apps :(

Are you an ontario resident or SWOMEN? You're set for western if you're SWOMEN. if not, your writing score is one off the cutoofs from last year (a Q)

Not sure about queens but last year the WS had to be an R...but apparently this was a crazy year.

I personally think your score is great! How's your GPA? Your 10 VR might be competitive for Mac if you're gpa is good.

I don't think their WS has been a P in like 4 or 5 years. Worth looking into but like everyone else will ultimately tell you, you don't stand a chance at all if you don't apply. If I had to make up a random percent then I'd say there's only like a 5-10% chance it'll drop down to a P if it's been Q and R for the better half of the last decade.

Way to kill the PS btw!

I got mixed reactions from people after getting a 36P 14ps-10vr-12bs on the mcat. Should I rewrite or do I still have a chance with that score especially the writing section?? I was hoping to try for Queens and Western this time around. Do I still have a shot at those schools?? I really need help before I submit my apps :(

your score is pretty high and meets numerical cuts. i dont beleive in hard cuts for WS (this is just me). your high score may grant you leniency and is certainly good enough to try applying.

that is exactly the score I rewrote with last summer because of the P in WS. It sucked of course.

where are you hoping to apply?

that is exactly the score I rewrote with last summer because of the P in WS. It sucked of course.

where are you hoping to apply?

UT, Mac, Queen and Western. Though those last 2 schools worry me for their WS and I'm screwed for Mac with my lower end GPA :( How did you do on the rewrite?

I also had a 36P on my MCAT (12PS, 10VR, 14BS). My GPA was 3.9+ (varied depending on each school's calculations). I chose not to rewrite the MCAT and applied to schools and Canada and the US this past cycle. I had a couple interviews in the US and got accepted to Northwestern. I didn't fare as well with the Ontario schools with only one interview (McMaster). It appeared that Queen's and Western were very strict on the WS cutoff with no exceptions. However, I did receive four interviews at OOP schools and an acceptance at MUN (the med school I am currently attending). It might be a little more difficult for you with the lower GPA, but you have a great MCAT. You never know unless you try. I would apply this year and see what happens.

apply anyways and see how it goes, if not u can always rewrite mcat and improve ur writing, i pulled my M to an R, and i'm sure u can do it too

on a side note, does anyone know if BS11 is solid for western, somehow i'm scared that they may raise the cutoff for BS again...

apply anyways and see how it goes, if not u can always rewrite mcat and improve ur writing, i pulled my M to an R, and i'm sure u can do it too

on a side note, does anyone know if BS11 is solid for western, somehow i'm scared that they may raise the cutoff for BS again...

It would be nice to have that crystal ball to be sure, but I don't it will go up. 11 to 12 is a pretty big jump, and we just upped the seats by 15ish% which should help prevent increases.

Archived