Premed 101 Forums

Homeopathic Medicine & Emergency Medicine

For example, kava kava has been a much more effective as a sedative and sleep aid for her, but it can be dangerous if it's use isn't carefully followed.

The ND actually plays a real role in her treatment.

Case in point. Kava kava, or piper methycsticum, is illegal in Canada and has been linked to severe liver toxicity and liver failure. Some preparations of it are safe, but I'd make sure your mom stops taking it immediately until you can be sure it is safe to use. But NDs are the "natural safe way" to treat patients eh?

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodnatur/legislation/docs/complian-conform_guide-eng.php

There seems to be alot of negativity towards natural medicines in general (which I can understand). However, I don't think as future practitioners we should forget that some patients will highly value natural medicines (such as some Aboriginal peoples wish to incorporate tradiational healing with conventional medicine), and openly ridiculing their methods are not warranted. I'm not saying this to be controversial, but just to bring the point of reference of the multi-cultural society we live in, and working with patients as partners in their care.

You have to respect patient's cultural and religious beliefs, but that doesn't mean I don't think homeopathy and other alternative medicines are full of @*(#$.

My mum has MS and her treatment team includes an ND who works with the neurologist and internist to make sure that the treatment plan is functional.

She responds much better to certain herbal treatments as opposed to the pharmaceutical correlates. For example, kava kava has been a much more effective as a sedative and sleep aid for her, but it can be dangerous if it's use isn't carefully followed.

The ND actually plays a real role in her treatment.

Wait, I thought naturopaths didn't believe in "harmful" drugs, that - unlike so-called "allopaths" - they hold that "doing no harm" is paramount and so eschew dangerous pharmaceuticals (never mind that kava has mechanisms of action similar to other psychoactive drugs).

The obvious problem that homeopath advocates run into is when a person is really genuinely sick but believes that the magic water will cure them. Of course the water does nothing except quench your thirst. :rolleyes:

The placebo affect is a great tool if used properly (and legally). But the placebo affect often requires that the patient is uninformed.

God.. it's 4 AM. I'm so tired. I fell asleep with a 5 lb textbook on my chest and I dreamed I came up with the cure to cancer. :rolleyes:

Ingredients:

1 tumor

Lots of water

1. Dice up the tumor into nice small pieces. The smaller the better.

2. Prepare 99 parts of water in a blender.

3. Add a small piece of the tumor into the blender.

4. Let it blend for about a minute.

5. Take a drop from the blender and mix it with another 99 parts of water and mix again.

6. Repeat steps 2-5 for as long as you want/can.

Serves as many people as you've got water.

edit: Patent pending >=[

needs more magnets.

These are the regulations that they have

http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/freeside/--%20h%20--/health%20professions%20act%20%20rsbc%201996%20%20c.%20183/05_regulations/21_282_2008.xml#section4

I know they want to help people and all, but why not properly become an MD, and then focus on the tree branches/magnet/crystals if they want. (oh its because that would be malpractice) - seems as if they just want to create a different professional medical body on their own. Its as if I wanted to start my own RCMP branch, I call it natuRCMP.

-does any law buff here know of any lawsuits or court cases that involved NDs and what the outcome reveals about their work/disclaimer?

• 2 weeks later...

My grandmother was diagnosed with lung cancer. She decided to trust her local ND or homeopath or whatever. Once it metastasized, she decided that chemo was the way to go. Just before she died, the oncologist told us that had she done chemo and radiation at first, she would not be on her deathbed.

She lives in Europe and died a few month before I was going to introduce her to her first great grandchild. That one was tough. I have very little respect for some of this crap.

I've seen a patient who was told that the bipolar he/she suffered from could be cured by homeopathic medication from a local ND. Not treated, cured. The pt subsequently stopped Lithium (which had shown good control in the past) and quickly relapsed, requiring admission to the hospital.

I also have seen a patient with Bipolar end up getting admitted from taking St. John's Wort at the same time as the Li, reducing the efficiency of the Li.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/10/22/f-naturopaths-get-prescribing-rights.html#socialcomments

Ontario just became the second province in Canada to get the green light for increased prescribing rights for naturopaths. British Columbia granted its naturopaths the right to prescribe a greater number of medications — as well as high-dose vitamins, amino acids, hormones, botanicals and herbs — in April 2009.

The announcement follows the granting of more powers to other health professionals, such as midwives and registered nurses.

On Oct. 20, the province's standing committee on social policy voted to amend Ontario's Naturopathy Act through Bill 179, allowing naturopaths in the province to prescribe, dispense compound or sell a drug listed in the regulations.

The bill is expected to be approved by the end of the year.

For more discussion on this development, please head to http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37911

The only thing that would stop my babies from crying when they were teething was a homeopathic medicine. The moment you put it in their mouths they would stop screaming (every single time) and absolutely nothing else worked.

I had my family doctor look at the contents first, of course, and while he couldn't figure out why the flowers would stop them from crying he claimed there was nothing listed to hurt them either.

Was it weed???

• 2 weeks later...
Homeopathy & Nutritionists vs Real Science!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIaV8swc-fo

Great vid.

Of course, these alternative medicine types are convinced that the reason homeopathy and the like isn't a part of actual medicine is because there's a conspiracy within the medical world, headed by Big Pharmaceutical and supported by individual MDs, to keep these treatments on the fringe so that Big Pharma can continue to reap the rewards.

Which is a bunch of horse****, obviously. If these things worked, the drug companies would be the first ones to try and make them mainstream, as then they could put a price tag on it.

Incidentally, the story of alternative medicine is pretty much identical to the story of intelligent design vs. evolution, and if you watch that jackass Ben Stein's video on the topic you'll see what I mean. The ID people believe that science is willfully ignoring the evidence for ID and are some sort of dogmatic followers of evolution.

Which brings me to my next comment on the video: I'm glad that comic put priests into his bag, because of all the things that make smart people do stupid stuff, religion has to be given the highest award.

/rant

Archived