Premed 101 Forums

Sibling Rivalry

hkmedic

My sister and I are both applying this year. Both of us are first-time applicants. There's always been competition since high school, but because I opted to do a 4-year degree in university and she chose to do a 3-year degree, it turns out that we are both applying for med school in the same year. In a way, I don't want to 'face the music'; she has better scores (MCAT/GPA) than me. It'll be embarrassing too in the event that she gets in and I don't.

Anyone here applying in the same cycle as their siblings? How did it turn out? Was it both of you getting in together? One sibling in, the other doesn't succeed? How did you deal with it afterward?

I've known some other siblings who've applied together; but it's always been the older one getting in and the younger one not getting in, and usually there's at least a 2 year gap between the older and younger sibling, or it was the older sibling's 2nd time applying and so they had an advantage over the younger sibling. In my case though, we are only a year apart and both of us are first time applicants...

My sister and I are both applying this year. Both of us are first-time applicants. There's always been competition since high school, but because I opted to do a 4-year degree in university and she chose to do a 3-year degree, it turns out that we are both applying for med school in the same year. In a way, I don't want to 'face the music'; she has better scores (MCAT/GPA) than me. It'll be embarrassing too in the event that she gets in and I don't.

Anyone here applying in the same cycle as their siblings? How did it turn out? Was it both of you getting in together? One sibling in, the other doesn't succeed? How did you deal with it afterward?

I've known some other siblings who've applied together; but it's always been the older one getting in and the younger one not getting in, and usually there's at least a 2 year gap between the older and younger sibling, or it was the older sibling's 2nd time applying and so they had an advantage over the younger sibling. In my case though, we are only a year apart and both of us are first time applicants...

Hehe! That's interesting!

I have only one brother, who is almost finished his PhD. He's going to beat me to being the first "Dr." of any sort in our family.

:D

My brother is just applying to enter university. He wants to go into dentistry because he likes the dexterity involved, patient interaction, and didn't want to become a surgeon.

Of my cousins (who are a few years older than I), they are all either dentists or in finance (it is very odd, it is either one or the other, lol, nothing else).

I am the only one in my family (immediate and between first cousins) that is actually aspiring to become a doctor

i have a brother who's a year younger but we've always been such complete opposites that there's no apparent rivalry. but i think if we had a little bit of each other in us, our lives would be more balanced. he's married now already but girls were always his focus lol...and school was always mine. i think it's time we switched tho :D:P

i have a brother who's a year younger but we've always been such complete opposites that there's no apparent rivalry. but i think if we had a little bit of each other in us, our lives would be more balanced. he's married now already but girls were always his focus lol...and school was always mine. i think it's time we switched tho :D:P

i also think its time you started liking girls more...

:P

My sis and I are also complete opposites. She also wanted to be a doc though, until undergrad hit her...

Hehe! That's interesting!

I have only one brother, who is almost finished his PhD. He's going to beat me to being the first "Dr." of any sort in our family.

:D

My brother is going to "beat" me to his phd in computer science as well. In in the UK you can get one in a 1/2 the time :)

It seems that other countries fast track students, e.g., in France, I understand you go to law school directly from h.s., students living in the caribbean, go directly to med school after h.s. (after completing their CAPE that used to be called A Levels) normally at age 18, even Quebec has thr fast track system for med from Cegep.

It seems that other countries fast track students, e.g., in France, I understand you go to law school directly from h.s., students living in the caribbean, go directly to med school after h.s. (after completing their CAPE that used to be called A Levels) normally at age 18, even Quebec has thr fast track system for med from Cegep.

true, and I forgot to mention there is not even a masters required there. It's just 3 straight years and you are done and out with your PHD.

i also think its time you started liking girls more...

i do, u know i love lawie :D

rawr... I love these backhanded compliments EM. ;)

But I must admit, it would be pretty interesting if you made girls part of your focus too...

true, and I forgot to mention there is not even a masters required there. It's just 3 straight years and you are done and out with your PHD.
Assuming you have a good work ethic AND a PhD's worth of project data and original research.

You can do the same in some Canadian universities (e.g. Alberta)' date=' but as O'Neill pointed out, being [i']allowed[/i] to do it and being able to do it are two entirely different things...

(Sorry, I know this is getting a bit off topic, but wanted to put in my 2c :o )

I have a 14 month older brother, and there was always a fair bit of rivalry. I imagine it's worse as twins. Identical twins were split up this season in So You Think You Can Dance Canada. Imagine if your twin was stealing the national spotlight! (inasmuch as that show is a "national spotlight").

To answer the OP: There is a silver lining if your sister gets in but you don't: If you were to get in at the same time, your competition would continue through med school, for every test, for residency (assuming you're both shooting for 'competitive' residencies), etc. If you enter a year later, you can learn from her mistakes and successes. Remember there are still other things that you may be better at than her. If there aren't, celebrate her success, suck it up, and live with it :P.

Assuming you have a good work ethic AND a PhD's worth of project data and original research.

well it is pretty typical to achieve it in that amount of time. It isn't unheard of in Canada to do the phd in 5 years, of which there is some courses and the comprehensive in the first 2 years. Queens for instance in Ireland just drops those courses and comprehensive requirements completely, leaving you with the 3 years for research.

If I don't get in this year and do a master's instead, my brother and I will be applying together in the future. I think it could be weird if only one of us got in, but at the same time, I will just have to remind myself that we are two completely different individuals and that we are both equally amazing.

I would almost rather I didn't get in this year and got in at the same time as him. That would be so much fun!

Archived