Premed 101 Forums

Do US schools look at individual MCAT marks?

I'm thinking about applying to the US but I hear that the MCAT is weighted very heavily there.

Does anyone know how the majority of schools use the MCAT? Do they have strict cutoffs based on individual scores?

This might sound dumb but I'm worried about my 10 in PS, since thats the section many people do well in. I have a 12 VR, 12 BS, and S WS as well as a ~3.98 - 4.00 cGPA (AMCAS).

Does it make sense to aim for the US with those numbers?

I'm thinking about applying to the US but I hear that the MCAT is weighted very heavily there.

Does anyone know how the majority of schools use the MCAT? Do they have strict cutoffs based on individual scores?

This might sound dumb but I'm worried about my 10 in PS, since thats the section many people do well in. I have a 12 VR, 12 BS, and S WS as well as a ~3.98 - 4.00 cGPA (AMCAS).

That looks pretty competitive to me!

You should aim for Canada with those numbers, and but also apply to the states as a formality.

Based on your numbers alone, you have a great shot at MANY US schools. Check out the spreadsheet, but do take it with a grain of salt...it doesn't factor in your ECs, LORs, etc.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527971

They are more lenient with the MCAT scores, as long as your composite is fairly strong. Obviously you don't want to do very poorly in a section, but schools are more likely to overlook something bad if the rest of your app is strong.

Someone in my class got into Vandy with a 7 in verbal - but it helped that they had a 36 overall and were a varsity athlete at a Big 10 school. (Decided to stay in state). Also not URM.

You however, don't need to worry about your numbers.

But its sooo true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

honestly why do people like you even post?

i really, honestly hope you dont get accepted..

and i speak that from the bottom on my heart

The OP was asking about a specific section on the MCAT for AMCAS applications. Knowing that the MCAT is weighted so heavily in the US, he simply asked if a relatively lower mark on a science section (or maybe relatively unbalanced) could hurt his chances.

Next time try giving out helpful advice or constructive criticism for someone who has a genuinely innocent question regarding his MCAT stats. He didn't mention ANYWHERE in his post about Canadian schools, so he seems to be pretty informed about Canadian applications, not American ones. The AMCAS process requires a ton of research, and is very different from the Canadian process. It's great that you genuinely wish someone not to get into medical school for starting an innocent thread on a premed forum asking for an opinion. Oh boy, inferiority complex much?

As for the OP, with all 3 of your MCAT sections above 10, and a cumulative MCAT score of 34, you are in a great position for most American schools. There's a LizzyM spreadsheet on SDN that lets you enter in your statistics (only statistics-based) so you can see your chances for applying to US schools.

But its sooo true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

honestly why do people like you even post?

i really, honestly hope you dont get accepted..

and i speak that from the bottom on my heart

What are you blabbering about?

And what do you mean "people like you"? Do you mean stargate fans?

The OP was asking about a specific section on the MCAT for AMCAS applications. Knowing that the MCAT is weighted so heavily in the US, he simply asked if a relatively lower mark on a science section (or maybe relatively unbalanced) could hurt his chances.

Next time try giving out helpful advice or constructive criticism for someone who has a genuinely innocent question regarding his MCAT stats. He didn't mention ANYWHERE in his post about Canadian schools, so he seems to be pretty informed about Canadian applications, not American ones. The AMCAS process requires a ton of research, and is very different from the Canadian process. It's great that you genuinely wish someone not to get into medical school for starting an innocent thread on a premed forum asking for an opinion. Oh boy, inferiority complex much?

As for the OP, with all 3 of your MCAT sections above 10, and a cumulative MCAT score of 34, you are in a great position for most American schools. There's a LizzyM spreadsheet on SDN that lets you enter in your statistics (only statistics-based) so you can see your chances for applying to US schools.

Hey, thanks for the defense.

Yeah I apologize for those out there who saw my post as obnoxious. I'm aware of the excel doc out there and I tried it out... seemed way too optimistic though since it said I should apply to Harvard, Princeton etc... Also, it seems very much geared towards US students, and who knows how canadians are judged in comparison...

Thanks for the feedback all.

itimebomb2

Your post was not at all obnoxious. Slashsev01 and O'Neill are just a bunch of idiots who really know nothing about US admissions and should not have posted. You should probably go ahead and ignore everything they've said or will say.

Wow wow wow. Wait a sec. I DO NOT AGREE with Slashsey. I was making fun of his obvious lack of knowledge with sarcasm. I thought the tongue face was evidence enough of that. Look at my post history for crying out loud, there's no idiocy there. Plus, Slashsey acknowledged that I was being sarcastic!

itimebomb2

Your post was not at all obnoxious. Slashsev01 and O'Neill are just a bunch of idiots who really know nothing about US admissions and should not have posted. You should probably go ahead and ignore everything they've said or will say.

Your mcat is good but not outstanding for top tiers. You should be shooting for midtier schools with a few top tiers thrown in for good measures. There are applicants right now sitting with 36 mcats and not a single interview yet. What will really make or break your application is what your ECs are. How is your research? what sort of job shadowing or volunteering do you have? That will help us give you a better idea of where you stand.

I was pretty unsuccessful in securing an acceptance in the US with a 34 mcat and a 3.88 GPA, although I got some pretty solid interviews. You will find your ABS matters a lot more than you think south of the border.

This is a real bad question, but what's ABS?

Archived