Premed 101 Forums

With Labs...?

Four

I checked all the medical school sites and none of them really mention having to do your courses with labs.

But I've seen a few posts here about doing courses with labs, and recently a friend of mine said that I should take microbiology with lab as medschools 'recommend it'.

So Canadian schools don't care about courses with labs... do US medschools care about courses with labs?

Also, Western wants 3/5 courses per semester corresponding to your year of study. Do any other medschools (Canada or US) want like 4/5 or 5/5 courses per semester corresponding to your year of study?

I checked all the medical school sites and none of them really mention having to do your courses with labs.

But I've seen a few posts here about doing courses with labs, and recently a friend of mine said that I should take microbiology with lab as medschools 'recommend it'.

So Canadian schools don't care about courses with labs... do US medschools care about courses with labs?

Also, Western wants 3/5 courses per semester corresponding to your year of study. Do any other medschools (Canada or US) want like 4/5 or 5/5 courses per semester corresponding to your year of study?

Hi there!

Ottawa cares about labs, some of their prereqs have to have it.

one full‑year course in general biology/zoology

including laboratory session;

• one full‑year course in humanities or social sciences

(or two semester‑long courses from two separate

disciplines);

• the equivalent of two full‑year courses from the

following chemistry courses:

a) General biochemistry without laboratory

session

B) General chemistry with laboratory session

c) Organic chemistry with laboratory session

Toronto has a basic policy of having your courses vaguely corresponding to the year as well:

"Students in the third or fourth year of undergraduate

work should note that, while no specific program of

study is required, academic coherence is expected.

Students should also note that the level of courses

should correspond to the “year” of their program."

yes they do.

Looking through the threads, it seems US medschools require labs for only general chem, first year bio, first year physics and organic chemistry. (2 semesters each of those).

Is that true?

what other courses are usually prereqs for med school that have labs? i doubt something like calculus would have a lab component lol. im being sarcastic... (yes some US schools have a math requirement...not necessarily calculus, algebra would do as well).

yes those are generally the courses that require labs.

what other courses are usually prereqs for med school that have labs? i doubt something like calculus would have a lab component lol. im being sarcastic... (yes some US schools have a math requirement...not necessarily calculus, algebra would do as well).

Maybe biochem? I thought I read a few needed that.

The main trouble here is it is hard to group ALL US schools so broadly. Lot of them are very similar but there is still a lot of variation to consider.

The main trouble here is it is hard to group ALL US schools so broadly. Lot of them are very similar but there is still a lot of variation to consider.

as far as i remember....only one semester in biochem was usually required and i dont recall them requiring a lab component

as far as i remember....only one semester in biochem was usually required and i dont recall them requiring a lab component

Yeah, I think Wayne State requires Biochem, I don't know if with lab. I wanted to ask after getting a look at the book which tells you the requirements, but I don't know when I'll ever get my hands on it.

Archived