Premed 101 Forums

Another non trad - any nursing majors out there

Hey everyone,

Newbie here - first time posting.

I will be completing my first UG degree in June. My GPA is superlow - 2.9-3.0ish

I have looked over alot of the posts and from what I have gathered I will be doing a second UG degree. I was looking into Nursing and there just doesn't seem to be much info out there.How is the nursing program like? Anyone got any experience? Should I choose something else like Kines/Psych?

I know you guys have probably gotten tonnes of posts like these. But I am just i dire need of advice. Anything.

Haven't taken MCAT yet, 22 years old, and I am thinking I'll be 25 if not 26 when I actually get in. (Took a long time to decide this is what I want for sure - late bloomer :)

Thanks

My first degree is in health science. The reason why I think my marks are down is because I have never given my 100% to school work. Instead of doing I stress alot. 90% Stress and 10% work. Other reasons too, self esteem, not believing in self. Other people have always looked down on me but I guess it is because I never gave people proof that I could do it.

But now I believe I can do it. I am just unsure as to what my second UG should be. I understand only I can decide but would still love any suggestions or what other people are doing.

It's kind of frustrating, I know this is what I want to do but now I have to wait at least 2-3 years before I can apply. Should I work on the side as well while I do my second undergrad. I have learnt my lesson and hear about people doing both all the time but they just manage their time well, so I think I could do it. Any thoughts.

I have another question. After this year I will have a B.Sc. If I do my second degree in a paramedic program at a college, would med schools consider that as my second undergrad or no?

Hmmmm that sounds like something very school specific. Generally college programs don't count as the type of degree required for most schools (unless they are special types). Are you hoping it will count or not count? Might help narrow things down for you :)

as a side note I would like to think paramedic training would be very useful for a med student!

Yes, I am hoping it would count. Like if I do really good because then I could have a shot with Queens/Western. My first degree is useless GPA-wise.

Should I email these med schools specifically and see if they would consider college courses (paramed) as my second undergrad.

There is a joint program, U of T and Centennial college that offer a combined paramed and B.SC degree but I would already have a science degree. So if I did the two years at Centennial but under the name of a uni joint program would it still count.

Ok, next question... What courses in your Health Sci major did you really enjoy and do well in?

I would suggest a major with a lot of wiggle room in terms of electives, so that you don't have to worry about specific transfer credits and then go from there.

I took a biol/chem joint major for my first degree and am now doing psych. I'm really enjoying psych and it is considerably easier than biol and chem.

Thanks for responding

Well I really enjoyed pharmacology, physiology and nutrition. God mid 80s in those. Psych is also one of my choices, but I am trying to look at second UG degrees that will allow me to get a good job after if all else fails, or work till I get in at least. I can either do a nursing degree but heard its risky to get good grades but have a job after or do something like psych and not have risk but unlikely to get a good job after.

So yea, anymore feedback would be awesome

Yes, I am hoping it would count. Like if I do really good because then I could have a shot with Queens/Western. My first degree is useless GPA-wise.

Should I email these med schools specifically and see if they would consider college courses (paramed) as my second undergrad.

There is a joint program, U of T and Centennial college that offer a combined paramed and B.SC degree but I would already have a science degree. So if I did the two years at Centennial but under the name of a uni joint program would it still count.

Contacting them would definitely be the best plan - your case is a bit special so the form may not have all the answers you need. I do think joint programs have been used in the past without issue though if that helps :)

Thanks for responding

Well I really enjoyed pharmacology, physiology and nutrition. God mid 80s in those. Psych is also one of my choices, but I am trying to look at second UG degrees that will allow me to get a good job after if all else fails, or work till I get in at least. I can either do a nursing degree but heard its risky to get good grades but have a job after or do something like psych and not have risk but unlikely to get a good job after.

Does your first degree afford you reasonable job opportunities? Kind of reduces the pressure if it does.

There are a number of people on the board doing nursing (mr. humble for one, got to love that name :)) might be able to provide some insight. I know one of our long term members (Jochi) is a paramedic and I think Elaine might be as well. They might be able to answer as well if they were able to count their training in the process and if so how.

I don't know much about nursing and wasn't really interested in pursuing that route personally. I have heard that it is hard to get high marks in it and it tends to have a very set curriculum, so you would probably be looking at doing the full fours years in nursing, rather than transferring a lot of credits and only doing two more years. You do have excellent job prospects though as a nurse.

In terms of the paramedic course, do you have any emergency response experience? I'm asking because paramedicine is not for everyone and requires you to be comfortable with going into other peoples homes and doing a lot of physical work, such as lifting. I don't know about the paramedicine programs specifically. The requirements here in BC for paramedics are totally different than other places and it's not a university level program.

I am really enjoying psych, but I know that it won't get me a job when I'm done. I'm taking it purely for the enjoyment, but my first degree is what I use for employment purposes. Although the job I'm doing right now (residential care) doesn't require post-secondary education at all. Psych has a lot more opportunities once you get a masters, especially if you do a clinical masters.

Does your first degree afford you reasonable job opportunities? Kind of reduces the pressure if it does.

There are a number of people on the board doing nursing (mr. humble for one, got to love that name :)) might be able to provide some insight. I know one of our long term members (Jochi) is a paramedic and I think Elaine might be as well. They might be able to answer as well if they were able to count their training in the process and if so how.

You don't get any credit recognition for your prior medical training. It helps me in some clinical skills or in some DL cases, but that's about it.

Darn, it would be cool if I could do paramedic as a second degree and that be counted.

Other than psych, any other interesting health related second undergrads? Psych seems to be in first place now, nursing has unfortunenly fallen behind for me.

These forums are quite addicting, I should be studying.

This is cool - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEdVfyt-mLw

• 4 weeks later...
Darn, it would be cool if I could do paramedic as a second degree and that be counted.

Other than psych, any other interesting health related second undergrads? Psych seems to be in first place now, nursing has unfortunenly fallen behind for me.

These forums are quite addicting, I should be studying.

This is cool - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEdVfyt-mLw

I wrote this long post about getting into paramedicine, what transfer credits you earn, etc. But my browser logged me out of the site and I lost the entire thing...I don't feel like typing it out again so if you want some info about this, PM me.

Hey Shell!

I am in a pretty similar situation. I am going into my last semester of a joint honours in neuroscience and biochem (nutrition) with an OK GPA, but much less than average. If I do not get in, I am planning on doing a fast-track nursing program (2 years). I have decided that my ultimate goal is to have employment in the medical field after my next undergrad. And, I can always go the nurse practitioner route, if I still do not get in after a few years of applying. I will ALWAYS want to be a physician, so I figure I will try and get as close as possible if I cannot get in!

I had thought about doing a different, easier, 2nd undergrad... but when I thought about the long-term opportunities, or lack thereof, I reconsidered by choice and decided on nursing.

I wish you the best of luck! :)

• 1 month later...

Okay so I am feeling very lost. I just don't know what to do. I am being overwhelmed with so many options so I figure might as well get some third party objective opinions. So this is the situation, I am going to be finishing my bsc this June and my GPA is absolutely no where near where it should be, around a 2.5 at best. Have not taken MCATs yet. Med is what i want to do and will...somehow. Or I could be dillusional and should just give up. Age: 23. Be brutally honest.

Option 1) Do a two year degree, maybe public health or psychology, rack up some more OSAP loans, do MCATs this summer or even next since I have more time now. Get in med in Canada after min 3 years.

Option 2) Apply to carrib schools after I do my MCATs and get in next Sept (2011)

Option 3) Go to foreign country like Autralia or India - but have 0 money. No clue how I would get back, highly unlikely.

Option 4) Work. For a year. Pay off OSAP. Start new degree

Option 5) ???

Thanks all

In my opinion...

Options 2 and 3 both rest heavily on whether or not you would like to pursue residency in Canada, and whether or not you would be happy doing primary care. As a foreign-trained medical grad (Caribbean or otherwise), it is particularly challenging to match to any program other than family med in Canada. There are more options in the US (particularly for Caribbean-trained grads) in terms of residency positions.

There is certainly risk involved with all the options; if you have the financial flexibility and no significant geographical ties, Caribbean medical school will certainly help you earn an MD more quickly. If 8+ years out-of-country is not an appealing option, I would suggest starting a second undergrad that has realistic career potential should your grades fall below med school cut-offs. For those reasons, doing some serious research into fast-track nursing programs and uni-level paramedic programs is probably worthwhile. Perhaps an undergrad social work degree is also worth considering. Keep in mind that you will (almost) never be too old to start your MD, and that starting a family and settling down during med school is certainly not rare.

Good luck with your choices!

If you like pharmacology, have you considered pharmacy? Job prospects are great and the courses and clinicial experience are very applicable to medicine.

Thanks for responding

Hey Shell, I just wanted to say you r not alone..

Im also about to finish my Bsc (double major in bio and med sci - western) in april.. and my GPA is at 2.9 right now... Having realized how disgustingly useless a BSc is when you are unable to get good marks, I have no job prospects...People around me are pushing me to go to the Caribbean for med school but thats just not something I want to do right now.. not sure if I even want to go to med school anymore, after struggling in my undergrad its been really discouraging so Im scared more than anything to go to the Caribbean and have to face a larger work load..

Ive considered repeating another year, doing another undergrad, havent decided on what yet.. but my time is running out..

sorry about the rant, just wanted to share...

Hey Predent2301,

Thanks for sharing. Yes I am also still deciding, just can't figure it out. Some days I am 100% motivated and believe I can and will do it, other days I hear stories of people who tried so hard, like malkynn, and they don't get in. I guess it is just a risk that we have to take. Unfortunently I dont even the average to get into nursing but my extracurriculars are beyond amazing.

So I am seriously considering a 2 year degree in public health or just take some time off and work, But I am leaning towards the second degree. Have you given it any more thought?

Okay so I am feeling very lost. I just don't know what to do. I am being overwhelmed with so many options so I figure might as well get some third party objective opinions. So this is the situation, I am going to be finishing my bsc this June and my GPA is absolutely no where near where it should be, around a 2.5 at best. Have not taken MCATs yet. Med is what i want to do and will...somehow. Or I could be dillusional and should just give up. Age: 23. Be brutally honest.

Option 1) Do a two year degree, maybe public health or psychology, rack up some more OSAP loans, do MCATs this summer or even next since I have more time now. Get in med in Canada after min 3 years.

Option 2) Apply to carrib schools after I do my MCATs and get in next Sept (2011)

Option 3) Go to foreign country like Autralia or India - but have 0 money. No clue how I would get back, highly unlikely.

Option 4) Work. For a year. Pay off OSAP. Start new degree

Option 5) ???

Thanks all

If your science GPA is comparable to your cGPA, you might require more time than most to get the MCAT score you need. That being said I would recommend you give yourself AMPLE time.

g'luck

________

How To Roll Joints

ample as in more than the usual 4 months of summer people usually take? Or four months is good. Science gpa is around 2.5 as well maybe a bit less.

The MCAT has a way of exposing any hidden weakness. The reason why I'm saying that it might take you more time to achieve your goal is because you MIGHT need to dedicate more time to the content/concept review component of your MCAT prep. If you didn't do well in your science courses it may either be because you did not apply yourself, or; you did apply yourself but just didn't really get the concepts. Once you have everything down pack, you'll be on a level playing field and will require as much time as any test taker to master the strategies that you need to get 10+.

I could be completely wrong! I'm just basing it on my experience. I barely passed 1st year physics, and the conceptual issues I was experiencing then, came back to hunt me when it was time take the MCAT.

I would recommend you do a diagnosis test and go from there.

ps. The Berkeley review for PS is AMAZING.

________

Molle shotgun scabbard universal sling tan

with a 2.9 (im guessing the last 2 years were also bad?? no big rising trend)...

If no big rising trend..

id go to the carribbean without a doubt..the time you invest to get into medschool here or US (another 2-4 yrs), you can invest the same effort and energy in ur studies for med..or understand that it might take extra time (ie a research year after carr med graduation) to match for rez.

but the carr route is alote of self learning (esp if u dont do the big 3)...it is not a walk in the park...

if you are not hungry, you will get eaten alive there..i had some friends that had to redue several courses....which does not sound like much but 30-50K tuition alone can mean alote. check value med (for horror stories..lol)

and 1 struggling to pass the usmle I...right now

People have told me classes are easier than UofT...mark wise

however, if you are not confident in yourself/study habits (which may take time to mature) it will be a long and miserable journey to get your MD. Incl more tests!

Being alone will also add to that...

Getting into those schools is not a problem...get out is..the light at the end of the tunnel is still very bleak when you go there, but those extra years will deff help you out in the long run.

If rising trend,

you can look at other options,

doing extra years,

or masters

or even other professional school (podiatry in the us, opto in the us, pharm in the us, dent in the us, aud in the US)

like the greater number of options in the us...SDN has GREAT info on various other profession fields in th US..

sadly the canadian counterpart premed101 cannot seem to expand on!!!

premed 101...needs to introduce other health care forums!!!!!

Hey Shell,

What 2 year degrees in public health are you considering? I might be interested in doing something like that too...I still haven’t decided yet, and it doesn’t look like I’m gonna come back for another year, I also thought about doing another degree altogether (something not related to science- something like business) but im not ready to go to school another 4 years for an undergrad...

Archived