Premed 101 Forums

Radiology Interview

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all you can learn about the institution where you have the interview. Do some research and find out about the history of the place, their specialties and their reputation in the radiology field.Using slang is a huge mistake too. Your single biggest asset in an employment interview is your confidence.

• 6 months later...

what do you guys do on electives??? with virtually zero radiology in the first two years of med school what role can you really have during electives that will allow preceptors to evaluate you and write a letter for you? is it mostly observational? at least in anesthesia they can see you perform and quiz you on physiology pharmacology...when it comes to radiology what happens?

thanks!!!

You're right, electives are mainly observational and it can be hard, but not impossible, to get to know people if you are assigned to different areas every day. Standard things: show up early/stay late, be pleasant and interested, know your anatomy/clinical medicine if quizzed, help if you can (e.g. looking up information in the electronic medical record). Don't be afraid to ask questions (except when people are obviously too busy to talk) - take advantage of the lulls (e.g. chat with residents before halfday starts). You *may* have the opportunity to give a presentation, take a case in rounds, or get a bit of hands-on in scanning/procedures. I do believe that undertaking some project outside of the elective, such as research or teaching files, is the best way to get to know radiologists and receive a strong letter of recommendation.

Depends by what you mean by cities (GTA? Thunder Bay?). Remember that the job market is a cycle and we have several years until we enter it. I don't have firsthand experience with teleradiology, but as a new grad looking for a full-time position, you may be subject to less ideal hours (i.e. covering nights), professional isolation, inability to use all your skills (e.g. procedures), and a prolonged stint as an employee (vs eventual partner).

• 3 months later...

Can you guys please comment on the structure of a match interview? Now that medical schools are doing MMI interviews most of us have no idea what a tailored interview is like. i.e. how many interviewers you meet, for how long, who makes the decisions, will I need to know about their program?

Variable from year to year and place to place.

Generally, you meet with 2-4 panels of 1-4 people each for 20 minutes each (there are exceptions). One of these is usually with residents only, where you have ample opportunity to ask questions about the program.

The residency program committee (people who interview you) makes the ranking list. However, everyone you interact with can potentially provide input. Not to make you paranoid or anything...

Yes, it is generally good to know something about a program before you apply/interview, though it can be difficult to find out more than is publicly available on their website/CaRMS, especially if you haven't done an elective there and don't know anyone there. Do expect to be asked why you wish to train in that city/program.

Hey Folly ,

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I am interested in radiology and IM, could you perhaps comment on what their interviews are like?

I imagine it would be hard to answer a question about why you want a particular site if all you want to do is that specialty and you applied everywhere or you are applying because there because you want that specialty as a back up. What does one answer when asked a question in that situation?

Thanks!

Some common questions - why radiology? why this city/program? tell me about (stuff in your app). what do you do in your spare time? what questions do you have for us? (this may be a full section of the interview - so be prepared)

The remaining questions may be any type that are found in traditional medical school interviews - there are many books/websites out there if you want to get an idea of the range. I'm not familiar with IM interviews, sorry.

Re: site - often the underlying question is would you be willing to move here / be happy in this city if you don't have an overt connection (family), so address that. If you are seriously considering a program as a top choice, I'd suggest an elective. Otherwise, you can do your best to research the program and city on the web, and contact them if you have any questions beforehand. It also helps to do the tour / meet and greet with residents before the interview itself (not always possible).

Re: backup, just tell them why you like that field and could see yourself doing it. If it is a viable backup, you will have rotations and electives in that field to draw upon, same as with your preferred specialty.

Archived