Premed 101 Forums

NSERC Grades?

aestas

What is the cutoff generally for NSERC? I mean, just 'cause you're eligible doesn't mean you'll get it right?

Did you guys also have a lot of awards?

I already have a couple profs interested in taking me, but it's more of a question of whether NSERC will grant our request. I am eligible, but I think I may not be as competitive as some others who are applying for it.

What is the cutoff generally for NSERC? I mean, just 'cause you're eligible doesn't mean you'll get it right?

I already have a couple profs interested in taking me, but it's more of a question of whether NSERC will grant our request. I am eligible, but I think I may not be as competitive as some others who are applying for it.

If I remember correctly the cutoff for one of ~21 NSERC-USRA positions in the department of biology at Waterloo was about 86% (all courses taken to date) last year.

I know nothing of the cutoffs at other schools.

If you have a prof who's willing to take you on as a student, apply for NSERC. The application takes 5 minutes to fill out. It depends on your grades but it also depends on the project that your prof is doing and how much $ the school wants to give to each department and a few other factors.

My main point is to apply for the NSERC because 1)the application is easy and 2)you don't know what will happen unless you apply.

If I remember correctly the cutoff for one of ~21 NSERC-USRA positions in the department of biology at Waterloo was about 86% (all courses taken to date) last year.

I know nothing of the cutoffs at other schools.

85 to 86 was what I was told by Linda for last year. This year it could be harder at Loo.

I was under the impression that each faculty at each university gets a certain number of NSERC recipients so you would be competing against your own peers. So wouldn't the 'cut-off' be dependent on your class and program?

Yup that's my understanding too. I was just providing a data point.

wow thats incredible, so competitive in the east huh? for my department each year certain number of profs will have the option of having a NSERC student, so as long as your grades dont totally stink and there's a project available you'll get it for sure. That's how i got mine :P

6 years ago.

I think it's the school too. Most people who apply for NSERC at my school get it (since very few people actually apply).

I just started volunteering in an ecology/evolution lab recently, and the professor has indicated that she would like to have me in her lab this summer as an NSERC USRA student. My cGPA is a 3.99, but I know that at least 50 students in the faculty of science also have those grades (or higher). Does her asking me give me a better chance? Or if someone with a higher percentage than me applies (right now my average from last year and this year first semester is 91%), will they have to pick that person instead of me?

Sorry if this message is not clear...I just never thought I would be competitive for NSERC until this professor emailed me! I'm sure it does help that there are WAY fewer pre-meds in Ecology and Evolution!

which university do you go to?

It's probably around 80 or so (plus minus 5), but will vary from year to year

But if you interact with a few profs and get a good rapport with them going, it should be realtively easy for you... if you already have a rough idea of the discipline you're going to pick next year, by all means, go ahead and contact a few profs in that department. If you really want to make a good impression, go to them after having read about their research on their page. Sometimes, profs will already have decided on which students they want to work with, so they may refuse you (happened to me), but don't let that discourage you... go to another prof! Since the deadline is Feb 9th, get started on it ASAP!

If you want further advice, feel free to PM me. I'll be glad to give more prof-specific advice if you have something in mind.

Does anyone know the cutoff for Engineering at Western?

• 2 weeks later...
I just started volunteering in an ecology/evolution lab recently, and the professor has indicated that she would like to have me in her lab this summer as an NSERC USRA student. My cGPA is a 3.99, but I know that at least 50 students in the faculty of science also have those grades (or higher). Does her asking me give me a better chance? Or if someone with a higher percentage than me applies (right now my average from last year and this year first semester is 91%), will they have to pick that person instead of me?

Sorry if this message is not clear...I just never thought I would be competitive for NSERC until this professor emailed me! I'm sure it does help that there are WAY fewer pre-meds in Ecology and Evolution!

50 other students in the faculty of science also have 3.99? Which university and are you sure that's true????????

Sorry I should have been more clear. That was my impression from the percentage of people getting all 90%+ in courses that I know and the size of the Dean's Honor Roll. This may very well be skewed because of the sort of people I know :). In any case, I don't feel like my 91 is all that high, but again, that may be because I know some very smart people! I would be very interested to see the GPA distribution of the faculty of science or even my program, but I don't think this information is provided online. Oh and this is UWO.

Med sci which only has 300 people has > 50 over 90% (a 4.0). I call bs.

• 3 weeks later...

At mcgill,

for those in health sciences (microbio, biochem, physio, etc)

I heard ~3.9 is safe, same with the FRSQ USRA program.

for in general sciences (applying through the faculty of science), i heard it maybe a little bit lower (since more spots are available) around ~3.88

Archived