Premed 101 Forums

CPR training anyone?

Guest kapow44

Guest kapow44

Have most people done their CPR training already? I was going to sign up for a weekday evening course sometime soon and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to do it...

Anyone want to sign up for the same class?

Sam

Guest LK MD

Hey Sam,

I'm doing mine on the 24/25th of August at the London Red Cross. I'm pretty sure it's $110. If you want to only pay $70 do it at UWO. They have a class on Aug 13 & 14. I was supposed to be doing mine there last weekend, but it was cancelled due to instructor illness.

If you want to sign up for it at UWO, call 519.661.3090. You can try the Red Cross in your city as well, or St. John's Ambulance always runs courses.

cheers~

LK

Hey Sam,

I'm signed up for the Red Cross session at the Yonge location for Aug 13/14. They were cheaper than St. John's, so I went with them.

Dan

Guest ezrock

hey. im getting a certified instructor to come to my house to do the standard first aid (which apparently includes CPR) right at my house for me and a relative for $100 each and its only 12 hours rather than 16 to 18. figured that was easiest in the end :)

-Ian

Guest leviathan

The prices may vary province to province, but if you want to take a Level C CPR course at a BC St. John Ambulance location, the price is only $64.80 after taxes, including your workbook in the cost. Recerts are even cheaper. :smokin (shameless promotion here)

Guest kapow44

I've found two courses - one for $65 (2 evenings, first aid and CPR-C) and one for $110 for 4 evenings. I'm guessing the 4 evenings (16 hours) course is the one we need right?

I think you're right. It looks like we need "Standard first aid + CPR-C" (whereas the Emergency first aid course requires less time and is chepaer)

Guest acwang

I was wondering,

I'm in China right now and I won't be back in time to catch any of the CPR courses.

I only need a recert, are they (registrar's office) usually ok with us getting certified a little bit into the school term?

~ac

Guest acwang

Hey guys,

I was looking around on the SERT (Student Emergency Response) website and they are willing to do special group training sessions (group of 8 or more) for $70 per person.

If anyone's interested, let me know!

~ac

Guest ezrock

hey. can anyone who is doing the red cross course tell me exactly which one they are doing? The one I was looking at is just their standard first aid course. The lady I talked to said it came with CPR training but I get the feeling we don't get specific CPR certification. Does anyone know if that's a problem or not or if all we need is the red cross standard first aid to cover the first aid and the cpr?

thanks

-Ian

Guest kapow44

I don't know which red cross course you're taking, but I'm doing the one that's August 16, 17, 23 & 24th from 6-10 pm at the Leslie St. location. I double checked with her before the other day when I payed and she said it's Standard First Aid + CPR Level-C.

There is also an option to only do the first half which is 16 and 17th - that's probably only the first aid, but I'm not sure...

Guest Elaine I

I'm a Red Cross instructor (though I don't actively teach much anymore). The RC Standard First Aid includes Basic Rescuer © CPR. However, it isn't always spelled out on the card. Therefore, be sure to ask your instructor to write both (SFA + BR-C CPR) on the card. Otherwise, you may end up with one that only says SFA (since it is assumed that includes the CPR).

As far as format goes, most courses start with the CPR then the topics that make up the Emergency First Aid, and then progress to the rest of the first aid topics to finish the Standard First Aid. My guess (but it is just a guess) would be that the first half of the course would cover the CPR and EFA only.

Elaine

Guest Steve U of T

I think it's possible to take a course that covers only CPR and not first aid, but a standard first aid course should include CPR. I think it's just a question of whether it's level C, or just adult CPR (I believe level C means you're certified for adults, children, and infants).

Guest Elaine I

Yes Steve, you are correct. Red Cross offers many different courses (as do other agencies).

CPR - A - adult CPR only

CPR - B - adult and children CPR only

CPR - C - adult, children and infant CPR

CPR - D - children and infant CPR

Emergency First Aid - limited first aid + CPR - C

Standard First Aid - complete first aid + CPR - C

First Responder - complete first aid, use of adjuncts such as airways and backboards, oxygen therapy, automatic defib + CPR - C

Elaine

Guest ezrock

thanks Elaine and everyone else who helped clarify that perfectly. I am booking tomorrow so now I know exactly what I have to ask to make sure its' exactly what I need. Thanks and take care,

-Ian

Guest leviathan

Hey Elaine,

I could very well be mistaken, but I thought CPR - B was only Adult CPR with the addition of two-rescuer CPR. CPR-C and D are the only ones which cover infants and children. It might differ between our two provinces, and I could be wrong anyway, so I'll have to check on that tomorrow at work. :P

Archived