Premed 101 Forums

class size :(

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Though I think it could happen... I'm pretty sure this is trolling. Just an attempt to start hysteria. This is not how this kind of info is released and anyone with that info would be more sensitive about releasing, it rather than making an account on p101 and making a single post.

well that is unfortunate... must be a very recent decision since it seems a little bit contrary to the fact that they interviewed so many people.

Even during my interview they mentioned that the class size might change (but they didn't say by how much)

this is seriously stressful. I agree with Jamer, statistically screwed!!

that really sucks. i feel bad for you guys :(

there's something fishy here tho, i don't think they would interview that many ppl and then decrease the seats. if anything, they would have the same class size for all of you in 2010, and then decrease the number of seats and interview spots next cycle.

i hope they are not decreasing the number of seats, otherwise the MSc i am doing might not even help at all next year.

im surprised at size of this decrease. 50 spots out of 180 is huge.......

i knew this whole "doctor shortage crisis" was all just media hype.............looks like the government finally figured it out! Getting rid of doctors is the solution. How ingenious!

something seems really weird about this the Alberta government released their budget and increased healthcare and education budgets while making cuts in other departments and the health minister said this was to allocate money to decrease the doctor shortage we are facing...

I just called the admissions office and they said that this is NOT true as of yet. They said they will twitter an update if the class size decreases but as of yet this is NOT CONFIRMED.

Did they say a class size decrease was not confirmed, or a class size decrease of 50 people (!!) was not confirmed?

It would be super if a U of C med student could either confirm this or talk to the admissions department and get some clarification. <3

Unfortunately, what we've heard is that this is true. Class size is going down to 130-135 due to provincial government budget cuts.

But the admissions office has yet to confirm this.

i figure this has to hit Alberta too..............just a guess if its a provincial thing.

and yeah, its extremely unfortunate that the decision comes out this late in the game (not blaming UC, the govt obviously). That's a huge drop - the shear number of seats is surprising (28%).

All the premeddies should get a rally going and petition the govt - can't be that hard to stir up a ruckass - jsut go around asking people how they would feel about less doctors around and whatnot. Gotto hit a nerve i'd guess with most people and bring some heat to parliament....

Archived