Premed 101 Forums

class size :(

Well on the bright side, I don't realistically have to start my US apps until after May 14, so I can just chill until then.

That's all I got.

haha me too but i need to apply asap. I need to make use of this rolling admissions process

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you would think they would have been given a heads up or done some research prior to interviewing 600+ kids... a huge disappointment for many including myself.

The notion that the U of C should have "done some research" to find out how many seats they will have next year is blowing my mind right now. You tell em' max.

Alert The Media!

yeah really. I mean people would be ticked not to mention student rallies drawing attention - even if a little. when most people of the doctor shortage they think of producing more doctors - which i do have to say, is quite the logical step. Hearing about how the goverment of Alberta is going the opposite direction probably is not going to go over well. Of all things to cut this is likely the worst place to do it - There's one thing I have to look forward to when I leave Canada for meds - won't have to deal with a stupid goverment (yes i know, i'll need to deal with other stupid goverments....still my point stands)

Even more disappointing is that this budget cut will most likely reduce the class size at UofA as well.

Sadly, the two schools could lose 100 total spots if all this is true of course. That is a horrific figure (Especially compared to increases in other provinces).

The budget cut was 6%; a much bigger hit than the University was expecting.

Therefore, the medical school can only have a certain number of medical students in the program at any given time.

As a result, they have suggested that class size go down to 130.

The reason they interviewed 600 students was because interview invites went out before the budget cut came in.

Secondary to that, wouldn't you have an interview and not get in (get experience) than to not have an interview at all? At least this way you know what to expect.

Don't blame the medical school on this one; this is a governmental + funding issue.

true, although you would think that there was some dialogue between the school and gov't about the budget during the planning phase..in any case i'm sure the gov't didn't take into consideration the application process nor the number of disappointed students. it had to be a tough decision, but what kind of luck does this app cycle have!

true, although you would think that there was some dialogue between the school and gov't about the budget during the planning phase..in any case i'm sure the gov't didn't take into consideration the application process nor the number of disappointed students. it had to be a tough decision, but what kind of luck does this app cycle have!

Well the government first asked the school to propose a budget, without any idea of how much money they'd actually be getting.

As a result, the University had to throw something together, based on projected funding.

They got hit harder than they thought.

Well, for all of us interviewees, I hope this is not true!

I have also been hearing that they are proposing a very large tuition increase for professional programs, including meds, next year... Is this because of the budget cut? Is it possible they will just charge us more instead of such a drastic cut in class size?

I wouldn't blame the University at all. After my interviews, there was some discussion about the number of seats and it sounded like the university was really kept in the dark about whether the government would pass the additional funding or not.

But this might not be the end, there could be an appeals process or something. I say that we, at least, write some letters to the Alberta government.

Why not increase tuition and make a few more spots? I know that would suck too, but I'd rather pay more than not get in at all. It seems awfully short-sighted to just cut that many seats.

agreed, Id rather have a more expensive spot than none at all!

agreed, Id rather have a more expensive spot than none at all!

I'm with y'all on that one. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for an education (MD) than not get a chance at all...I'm so disappointed. It's my 4th yr of trying and i thought this was going to be the year i get in but after hearing this news....i just dont know!!! :(

Why not increase tuition and make a few more spots? I know that would suck too, but I'd rather pay more than not get in at all. It seems awfully short-sighted to just cut that many seats.

welcome to government. They don't stay in power forever and thus don't give a **** about the long term.

Archived