Premed 101 Forums

class size :(

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, let's get back to normal here.

a) Nothing has been confirmed yet. We're going crazy on rumours here. Rumours. Until U of C tells us that there is a seat decrease, there hasn't been a seat decrease.

B) Other provinces have also had budget cuts. Ontario announced a huge deficit (21 billion I think?). Alberta is not the only province in the recession, and our deficit isn't nearly as bad. So, why aren't other schools worrying about class size reductions, and why shouldn't we expect class size reductions in other schools across the country?

a) Agreed. Although the fact that current med students have received information about this makes it at least a more credible rumor (i hate the news, trust me, and hope it doesn't come to fruition).

B) Don't drive yourself mad here. Every province acts according to its own needs/interests. Different provinces handle many things differently, especially money. Just b/c something happens in one area doesn't mean it will happen in another. I'm guessing when spots increased 30% over the last two years in Calgary, Ontarians might have been saying "why not here too".

Okay, let's get back to normal here.

B) Other provinces have also had budget cuts. Ontario announced a huge deficit (21 billion I think?). Alberta is not the only province in the recession, and our deficit isn't nearly as bad. So, why aren't other schools worrying about class size reductions, and why shouldn't we expect class size reductions in other schools across the country?

Most likely because no one started a rumour in the other forums... hopefully people from other provinces don't catch on to what's happening here and realize it could happen there... Premed 101 would be constantly down because of the overload of angry/frustrated members trying to vocalize their angry/frustrated thoughts and opinions.

Combined with some rumours I've heard about the performance of this year's interviewees, it might result in a lower caliber of students in c/o 2014.

I'm just informing people of the downsides of having a huge class, that's all. If you are interpreting it as some sort of personal attack, that's your choice.

Sv3, you've been extremely rude to quite a few people on this forum on multiple occasions. It's also kind of silly to insult current students from schools you are dying to get into. It won't get you any extra points with anyone there. I would think hard about how you present yourself to your future peers. The idea of maintaining civil relationships with those who will be selecting you for ECs, research, admission to medical school, planning your orientation week, helping you out with your TOSCEs, teaching you on the wards, etc, should be pretty clear.

It reminds me of one thing the U of A admissions dean mentioned back in the fall - you can tell who will make a good physician by how they treat the secretaries. Most people know better than to insult the deans and the faculty, but it's when they interact with the support staff and the other students that their true nature comes out.

It takes a big person to apologize for making personal attacks, insulting, offensive remarks and in behaving disrespectfully towards another in public. It should be pretty clear that (rude, condescending. elitist, inflammatory) personal attacks and insulting premeds and this forum is out of line as already confirmed by med students (e.g., medguyz, luckythirteen, boodog).

As luckythirteen said:

I think what Jochi is getting at here is striving for civil interactions with everyone in your life (not just med students), despite your personal feelings and opinions regarding that person. There is a significant distinction between respecting someone and treating someone with respect. God knows I have colleagues I don't have an ounce of respect for and can't stand (with good reason), but I still try to behave respectfully toward them............ there is a way to call someone out on their bull**** -- to disagree vehemently and persistently -- without resorting to personal attacks.

......I'm going to politely call Jochi out...... I think you were out of line. Perhaps it was not your intention, but I (and many others found your original post and your replies to sv3 to be condescing, elitist, inflammatory, and lacking tact. While I found your perspective objectively reasonable and informative, some of your remarks were unjustified and in poor taste. For example, making unsubstantiated remarks about the poor quality of this years interviewees was unhelpful, largely irrelevant, and wholey unecessary.

So you 'heard' from someone involved with the interviews that this years applicants sucked? Even if this were true ...... why on Earth would you mention it in this thread?...... That's such a disrespectful and baseless accusation, that I can't see what purpose that statement had other than to insult and inflame.

I'm also very disappointed that as someone who is (I believe) only in their first year of med school, you don't empathize more with the premeds in this thread. You were in the same position just a year ago....... The reduction is nothing more than a quick fix to correct last year's unwise expansion and cope with the unfortunate realities of the budget cuts.

Jochi, ....... There is a good chance that if you had applied just one year later or earlier, you might not be a med student with the privilege of an education to find fault with. Please try to keep that in mind, and as per your own suggestion, be kinder and more understanding to the applicants who could end up being your colleagues in the very near future.

In other words, striving for civil interactions with everyone should be the goal of us all. I’m sure Jochi will step up to the plate as a team player in this situation!

Bearing this in mind, it is only 2 days that have passed since Jochi’s last post here and in the interest of maintaining decorum and civil relationships, we look forward to Jochi’s necessary apology to sv3 and the forum that she is no doubt now in the process of preparing. Until we hear further from Jochi, I hope - for now - this answers the remark you made HBP in your below post:

Jochi never came back... ahahahah

For the record, like TheFonz said:

Sv3, I'm with you 100% on this one.

And the rumour needs to play out in this lottery of financing, the numbers game and the uncertainty of securing a seat in med school. And after all, who would ever accuse the government, be it in Alberta, Ontario or elsewhere of proper planning? :)

Most likely because no one started a rumour in the other forums... hopefully people from other provinces don't catch on to what's happening here and realize it could happen there... Premed 101 would be constantly down because of the overload of angry/frustrated members trying to vocalize their angry/frustrated thoughts and opinions.

Well I'm a third year OOP, so my chances in Calgary/Alberta weren't great to begin with. The third year OOPs usually come in with a disadvantage and we'll probably get the short-end of the stick especially if they're cutting seats. I'm not stressing myself out too much about the cuts just because, as people have mentioned -- nothing you can do now, right?

Haven't heard anything from my home province yet about cutting seats, so for now I really doubt it since no one gave any indication of doing so at my interviews. I think the adverse reaction was simply because of the nature of comments made about the caliber of the interviewees...more so than the rumours. I mean, over in the Alberta forum everyone's quite friendly and civil. I believe the last thing we were talking about over there was about how attractive the UA 2013 class was :P .

As for the caliber of the students, I thought everyone I met at the UC and UA interview were spectacular. Articulate, cordial, and more than intelligent enough for medical school. It's hard to say whether one year is better or not...but in my opinion, the interviewees and the guides were amazing -- friendly, supportive, and encouraging. Take the comments regarding the sub-part standards of interviewees with a grain of salt. To get an interview you've got to have stellar GPA, MCAT, extracurriculars, references, etc. and I doubt UC is just picking people off the street :P . The same admissions committee reviewed this year's pool of applicants and last year's (probably) so they're the only authority who will be able to say whether one class is sub-par or not :D .

Anyway, best of luck to everyone! Crossing my fingers until May 14. Hope to see some of you in the same school? :o

:rolleyes:

I wouldn't want many of you guys to treat me if I am ill. I mean, all of these "Armageddon-is-here" outbursts over something that hasn't been officially confirmed are disturbing for potential doctors, to say the least. Even the current medical students seem to be gloating and twisting the knives on the panicky premeds. If you could develop no empathy over a small issue like this and calm the immature premeds, I wonder how you'll interact with your patients.

Yes, they might be thinking about reducing the class size, but no one has confirmed it yet---at least officially; it's still a rumor. Even if it's been confirmed, what would you (or what can you) do about it? It doesn't make any sense to panic over something that's out of your hands.

So, why not wait for the official verdict? The number of seats might not decrease after all; although, the tuition might rise by a couple of thousands of dollars---which still wouldn't get close to US medical schools'. That's a veritable solution to the shortage of funds and I am sure the authority would be looking into that option as well.

Just relax. As Yogi Berra said, "It ain't over till it's over".

:cool:

I wouldn't want many of you guys to treat me if I am ill. I mean, all of these "Armageddon-is-here" outbursts over something that hasn't been officially confirmed are disturbing for potential doctors, to say the least. Even the current medical students seem to be gloating and twisting the knives on the panicky premeds. If you could develop no empathy over a small issue like this and calm the immature premeds, I wonder how you'll interact with your patients.

Yes, they might be thinking about reducing the class size, but no one has confirmed it yet---at least officially; it's still a rumor. Even if it's been confirmed, what would you (or what can you) do about it? It doesn't make any sense to panic over something that's out of your hands.

So, why not wait for the official verdict? The number of seats might not decrease after all; although, the tuition might rise by a couple of thousands of dollars---which still wouldn't get close to US medical schools'. That's a veritable solution to the shortage of funds and I am sure the authority would be looking into that option as well.

Won't comment on your remarks insulting everyone on this thread (seems like your on a high horse)

As far as raising tuition by a few thousand bucks, look back at posts on this thread, the cost of funding a medical school seat is enormous. A few thousand bucks is laughable compared to the cost. If it was that easy, seats would be increased consistently a while ago along with tuition. Just look back at this thread as there is some valuable information you may want to read.

I find comments like these amusing. How can you honestly judge someone's ability to be a doctor through a post on an Internet forum? It's just sad how many of these "attacking" comments we have on premed forums like these. "You said this, I doubt that you will be able to interact with patients. You said this, I doubt that you have empathy. You said this, I doubt your intelligence". :rolleyes: Personal attacks like these are really uncalled for. If you can judge a person's character, and moreover, their capacity to become a doctor, based on a post on an Internet forum.. then you have amazing capabilities that I have never heard of before.

I don't know who you're directing the post to, but I think it's the wrong approach. You may think you know enough to start grading people on how good of a future doctor they may become, but until you've been in the trenches, dealt with dying patients in the middle of the night, been flooded with consults yet still getting paged every 30min for simple ward issues at 3am, and had to talk to a patient's grieving families after they die, you have NO idea.

Stop judging everyone based on your own limited experience of how physicians should function. It's frankly insulting.

These people can't help feeling anxious or panicked. Hell, I suffered a lot when I was on the wait list 3 years ago. This IS worse. Also, the med students are just pointing out facts--they may not fully remember their application period, but everything they say about reduced quality of learning is true. Once you get in, you'll also have the same concerns. I still think that letting this all rest until the big day is the best way forward.

jochi brings a different, informed perspective to this issue which is exactly what we need more of. i would rather read one of joshi's posts than 10 posts by a bunch of whining self-entitled premeds.

Unfortunately for you the whiney premeds goals are in line with those of the public and generally anyone complaining about doctors shortages...unless you disagree with that as well, this is well worth the whining.

I find it rather unusual that admissions haven't said anything through twitter yet. Does it mean the reduced class size for real for real? In the past they've responded to a few of the concerns raised on this forums like when folks complained about "missing essays" on the UCAN. What's really good admissions?????? Are you going to issue a word soon to put people's minds at ease? I'm still hoping this is all BS and they take 180 very well qualified applicants (to the skeptics) just like last yr.......:confused:

I find it rather unusual that admissions haven't said anything through twitter yet. Does it mean the reduced class size for real for real? In the past they've responded to a few of the concerns raised on this forums like when folks complained about "missing essays" on the UCAN. What's really good admissions?????? Are you going to issue a word soon to put people's minds at ease? I'm still hoping this is all BS and they take 180 very well qualified applicants (to the skeptics) just like last yr.......:confused:

they are waiting for it to become official is my guess (perhaps some signatures....perhaps getting the exact # of seats - i doubt they wanna say "approximately X number of seats").

just my guess

they are waiting for it to become official is my guess (perhaps some signatures....perhaps getting the exact # of seats - i doubt they wanna say "approximately X number of seats").

just my guess

It would still be great if we could hear something from them. We're up to over a dozen pages of nervous/angry posts and I've noticed that the traffic on the Calgary thread has been consistently greater than usual since this speculation begun.

Maybe they are trying to fight the government's budget cut and they are doing everything they can to keep the seat count at 180. In that case, let them take their time. I'm an optimist :) and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

My dad works at a hospital in Edmonton and he spoke to one of the med students today (after I phoned him in a panic!) and she said she knew about the cuts already. My dad said the implication was that U of A will be having substantial cuts as well, even though they did not discuss the details. :(

My dad works at a hospital in Edmonton and he spoke to one of the med students today (after I phoned him in a panic!) and she said she knew about the cuts already. My dad said the implication was that U of A will be having substantial cuts as well, even though they did not discuss the details. :(

Sounds about right

Maybe they are trying to fight the government's budget cut and they are doing everything they can to keep the seat count at 180. In that case, let them take their time. I'm an optimist :) and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Begging and pleading doesn't count in the legislature :rolleyes: Only MLA votes do.

My aunt's hairdresser's nephew's ex-girlfriend knows someone who is friends with a med student that said she heard from her dean's neighbourhood bartender that the number of seats will be cut from 180 to 12.

HAHAHAHhahah lol. Nice. I was going to say that maybe the U of A med student who told claire_tea's dad had heard about the cuts from the premed101 forum... but this is way better :)

I'm waiting to hear from admissions themselves, but I am in no hurry to hear the outcome because I like to believe they are fighting the cuts (go admissions team, go! - they have my full support) :)

Begging and pleading doesn't count in the legislature :rolleyes: Only MLA votes do.

I recall someone mentioning something about U of C having to propose an initial budget to the government and the government did not approve it, which resulted in cuts. So, maybe they are going to try to propose a new budget or negotiate with the government. Who knows, not me! But, I like to think positively :)

I find it really hard to believe that Alberta of all provinces (Alberta, being by far the richest of all the Canadian provinces) will be suffering such a huge cut in budget that they would have to cut the medical school class by almost 1/3rd. Even in Ontario, which is relatively speaking a have-not province is increasing it's investment in post-secondary education, resulting in an increase in med school positions at every single school.

This all seems highly speculative and counters pretty much everything I know about health policy.

I find it really hard to believe that Alberta of all provinces (Alberta, being by far the richest of all the Canadian provinces) will be suffering such a huge cut in budget that they would have to cut the medical school class by almost 1/3rd. Even in Ontario, which is relatively speaking a have-not province is increasing it's investment in post-secondary education, resulting in an increase in med school positions at every single school.

This all seems highly speculative and counters pretty much everything I know about health policy.

Economics. The price of oil is way lower than what it was. If you owned a car in the past couple of years, you probably remembered the price of gas being in the $1.30 range (because the price of oil was well over $100/barrel). Now that the economy is lagging and oil is lagging because of lower demand (around the $70-80 range), the AB gov't isn't racking up as huge tax money from the oil as they used to. Doesn't it seem a little odd that the AB gov't is actually running a deficit despite having all the liquid gold? Oil boom = stagnant. Ontario on the other hand depends on manufacturing (which could rebound :rolleyes: ), yet they will spend and expect higher equalization payments. Ontario isn't the most responsible province (e-Health anyone). I don't think AB should be compared to ONT because those are two huge different balls of wax.

Archived