Premed 101 Forums

class size :(

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard (again, this is hearsay) from a U of A current med student that the AB minister has reversed the med school cuts. This is supposedly "official." Can anyone verify this?

haven't heard a thing. Not in any papers. I would think the schools would release something - I'm sure the admissions people are tired of inquiries and would like to get on with their regular tasks.

I heard (again, this is hearsay) from a U of A current med student that the AB minister has reversed the med school cuts. This is supposedly "official." Can anyone verify this?

same, they tried to get UofA students to sign a petition agreeing to a $3500 one time fee + the tuition raises. No one signed it and supposedly the the minister said they have to have as many spots as funding was given.

same, they tried to get UofA students to sign a petition agreeing to a $3500 one time fee + the tuition raises. No one signed it and supposedly the the minister said they have to have as many spots as funding was given.

Arekieh,

I was wondering when and where was the petition advertised?

the two sides don't agree on this, hence the problem. I don't think a final decision has been made yet. With less than a month ago, i think it's fair to say it's not ideal. I'd really like to know the number of seats before May 14.

the two sides don't agree on this, hence the problem. I don't think a final decision has been made yet. With less than a month ago, i think it's fair to say it's not ideal. I'd really like to know the number of seats before May 14.

I remember reading (or seeing, can't remember which) somewhere that the number of seats each med school has is mandated by the government. In other words, if the government says that there is 180 spots per school, they are required to have 180 spots. And I'm pretty sure that the minister of advanced education basically said (without flat out saying it) that there would be 180ish spots. If I can find the link again, I will post it. :)

It's a little worrisome though, if the UofA and UofC are required to have 180 spots when there isn't the funding for those spots, it might decreased the quality of education. (Don't get me wrong, I'd rather a lower quality of education than none at all! lol)

I remember reading (or seeing, can't remember which) somewhere that the number of seats each med school has is mandated by the government. In other words, if the government says that there is 180 spots per school, they are required to have 180 spots. And I'm pretty sure that the minister of advanced education basically said (without flat out saying it) that there would be 180ish spots. If I can find the link again, I will post it. :)

It's a little worrisome though, if the UofA and UofC are required to have 180 spots when there isn't the funding for those spots, it might decreased the quality of education. (Don't get me wrong, I'd rather a lower quality of education than none at all! lol)

i definitely did not read it like this (i know which article you're talking about). Honestly, I don't think the govt knows how many seats they are funding this year. I don't think their funding is that specific - they grant large amounts that the university divides up. the university is saying that this year, there isn't enough funding so now the govt is trying to figure out why that is. It's messy for sure - i've wondered why the govt doesnt say "this is what u will do for this much money" but maybe that's too much work? I don't really know. I think the university is making the situation seem alot worse than it is and using medical seats as leverage and on the other hand, the govt doesn't grant money with very specific covenants in place allowing crap like this to happen. I hope you're right but if it were that simple this thread would have never been created.

i thought there were going to be some significant discussions this week but haven't heard jack

It was NOT a one-time fee, it was an increase in tuition - so $14,000 more to get your MD.

funniest **** ever! would the msa like to sign a letter that endorses raising their tuition 3500 a year... ummm no thanks, LOL

funniest **** ever! would the msa like to sign a letter that endorses raising their tuition 3500 a year... ummm no thanks, LOL

You know how some faculties ended up having their tuition raised and others (including us) didn't? Interestingly, someone said that all the faculties whose tuition was raised had their student associations sign statements where they agreed to the increase. So I'm glad MSA didn't, since it sounds like it might have played a pivotal role.

No, there was no one-time fee. There's a university-wide fee ($290 for the 2 semesters, like muse87 said) and then they wanted us to pay another $3400/yr on top of our $12,000/yr tuition. No thanks!

Not that I would endorse raising tuition fees ever, but you guys have it pretty good. MSA must do some pretty good things for you Alberta students haha! Those are the lowest tuition fees I've seen around (coming from Ontario). I think I've seen ones that are closer to $15 000 - $18 000 here at home...Haha, can we get bring MSA over here? :P

No, there was no one-time fee. There's a university-wide fee ($290 for the 2 semesters, like muse87 said) and then they wanted us to pay another $3400/yr on top of our $12,000/yr tuition. No thanks!

it doesnt really make sense to ask current students if they want to pay so that there can be more seats for future students - what do current students have to gain?

now that being said - 12k a year for medical school sounds like chump change compared to ontario fees.

hopefully the government will own up.

I don't care if I know before May 14. I just hope THEY know before and the offers still come out May 14. This wait is long enough as it is!

i hear you. I would just like to know what my personal expectation is and that depends on the seat number. I guess I'll be going into this one totally blind on that front.

it doesnt really make sense to ask current students if they want to pay so that there can be more seats for future students - what do current students have to gain?

now that being said - 12k a year for medical school sounds like chump change compared to ontario fees.

hopefully the government will own up.

UA tuition is definitely cheap as hell, but even the 18k tuition in Ontario is cheap. Just think about what doctors make, and honestly, the debt you take on during meds isn't bad at all. An MBA for instance costs 60k, and they certainly don't need the facilities/equipment that med students need. When it comes to bang for the buck, med students have it very very good. It's simple finance.

Archived