Premed 101 Forums

class size :(

Also, if current physicians aren't willing to give up some time teaching then in my opinion the schools in the previous classes screwed the pooch and picked the wrong students. We all spent massive amounts of time volunteering; why did that change once they became physicians?

They probably look at their 3-month waiting lists and think "gosh, I really should be helping my patients instead." Can't blame them.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our Discovery learning preceptors do NOT get paid for facilitating 5 hours a week, maybe 30 hours total in a block. 30 hours of clinical time is a lot of money lost. Good luck recruiting enough preceptors for 189 students when you can't compensate them in any way.

Hm, that's not what I heard. I talked to a preceptor about the compensation issue and she said they DO get paid (this was not a DL preceptor, but I don't see why CH/PCC/Gilbert's preceptors would get paid and DL wouldn't). However, they get paid a lot less than they would if they were working in a clinic, so either way it's a financial sacrifice on their part.

I have to say that a decrease in size is good on several levels.

2) U of A interviewed very few people considering the number of seats. We interviewed 480 people for a class of 188. If you consider the OOP wailist movement, I would venture to say that IP acceptance rate could go into the 80-90%s. Combined with some rumours I've heard about the performance of this year's interviewees, it might result in a lower caliber of students in c/o 2014.

haha, let me get this straight, you think the caliber of students in the c/o 2014 will be lower? If they're cutting seats doesn't that mean they are getting more selective? The class of 2013 has 189 acceptances out of 480 interviewees and the 2014 would presumably have (189-number of seats cut) acceptances out of 480 interviewees.

Jochi made some fair points about the problems associated with a large class, and I wouldn't take them personally. However, I certainly disagree that cutting seats is a good thing, and not just because I'm trying to get in. If there's already a shortage of preceptors, it'll just get worse down the road if they train fewer students. I realize that they may not have the luxury of planning that far ahead with enough fires to put out already, but this just seems like a bad idea.

It's easy to say you want a smaller class when you're already in. Heck, if I get in I'd rather be in a small class, but right now I want maximal odds, even if it means things are more crowded and I don't get my first choice(s) of specialty.

haha, let me get this straight, you think the caliber of students in the c/o 2014 will be lower? If they're cutting seats doesn't that mean they are getting more selective? The class of 2013 has 189 acceptances out of 480 interviewees and the 2014 would presumably have (189-number of seats cut) acceptances out of 480 interviewees.

But Jochi is not in the class of 2014 - hence easier to talk smack about them.

also, what i find extremely stupid about these comments supporting a smaller class size is that if you had to choose between dealing with the hassles of a larger size, or not getting into medschool, I got a feeling everyone would choose the former. If not, they are lying through their teeth. So no matter how many negatives you bring up about being in medical school, it beats not being in medical school. Thats the bottom line that you current med students seem to be very quick to forget. So making your posts on a thread like this one is a pretty idiotic idea.

I think she meant that most of the U of A interviewees weren't so good this year. Hopefully the same was true for U of C -- might improve my odds. :P

I think she meant that most of the U of A interviewees weren't so good this year. Hopefully the same was true for U of C -- might improve my odds. :P

doubt it. there aren't big swings year to year. just think about it. i think its bs unless marking methods changed. either way, interview scores dont really reflect your ability once your in. take all this bs with a grain of salt.

In fact, by jochi's logic (comparing interview number to acceptance numbers), the 2013s would actually be the 'lowest caliber' especially if the reductions is seats is permanent.

The funny thing is that every single doctor i meet seems to think that things were harder back in the day, people worked harder back in the day etc. I didn't think 1 yr would do it.

How could that possibly be? Do you think the 480 ppl interviewed were any different than the 480 interviewed last year. It just doesnt make statistical sense, they are large groups of people. If the interview scores were lower this year it would most likely be due to different scoring, diff interviewers, harder questions etc.

Do you think the 480 ppl interviewed were any different than the 480 interviewed last year. It just doesnt make statistical sense, they are large groups of people.

No, I don't actually think the caliber of interviewee went down significantly this year. I was just reiterating what Jochi said and was partly joking anyway. :)

What also needs to be calculated into all of this is that for those that do get into U of A or U of C next year, the tuition is going to be drastically higher each subsequent year until this mess gets sorted out, and with that who knows how many seats will be available year-to-year.

And the way the Alberta government is acting, who knows when they will happen.

Wasn't the proposed tuition increase a way to circumvent the budget cuts? I thought that was the way they were dealing with it, rather than cut the class size. I'm sure losing the tuition of ~50 people (50*~$19000=almost a million bucks) is something that the Faculty will look at as well. It just seems like cutting the class size by that much would be BRUTAL press for the government.

hey guys, sorry to hear about the news -- one of my family members is in the current app cycle, although admissions has yet to confirm this change.

I would still keep hope though, the wait list does move (believe it or not) - I thought I had gotten in late in my year, but there were some people in my year who got in 4 days before med school started!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys.

Wasn't the proposed tuition increase a way to circumvent the budget cuts? I thought that was the way they were dealing with it, rather than cut the class size. I'm sure losing the tuition of ~50 people (50*~$19000=almost a million bucks) is something that the Faculty will look at as well. It just seems like cutting the class size by that much would be BRUTAL press for the government.

You do however realize that the tuition paid by the student isn't even a fraction of what a medical education costs?

A medical education per student is supplemented big time.

hey guys, sorry to hear about the news -- one of my family members is in the current app cycle, although admissions has yet to confirm this change.

I would still keep hope though, the wait list does move (believe it or not) - I thought I had gotten in late in my year, but there were some people in my year who got in 4 days before med school started!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys.

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate your effort to provide us with hope :)

I think your contribution that we all stay positive, despite the setbacks, is a constructive piece of advice--a nice change from some of the other crap people have posted.

problem is, a cut of 50, basically cuts away at the majority of the waitlist doesn't it?

now you have 50 people who would have gotten straight in, that are on the waitlist and will be the first 50 off. You can see the effect of this

just hope some sort of compromise gets reached, maybe they meet in te middle, i dont know.

What also needs to be calculated into all of this is that for those that do get into U of A or U of C next year, the tuition is going to be drastically higher each subsequent year until this mess gets sorted out, and with that who knows how many seats will be available year-to-year.

And the way the Alberta government is acting, who knows when they will happen.

no matter what happens i think tuition is going up. The mess you speak of in my opinion will be never-ending, But yes, who knows, maybe next year there's a bounce back and spots increase. But between now and then, too much happens and too much uncertainty in the process is the cause for a lot of people's stress i beleive. There are no gaurantees that you will also get interviewed next year if you did this year, etc etc. So i think the sudden news is catching alot of people off gaurd and justifiably so.

but good info to know

50 med students is a big difference in terms of funding for residency. Excluding what the medical student costs, those 50 additional med students will require the U of A to increase it's residency positions by 50, translating into an extra $15-25,000,000.

Yup. 25 million dollars.

I think that this might be part (rightly or wrongly) of the government's rationale.

Archived