Premed 101 Forums

Applying in Ontario without notifying about starting somewhere else

Hello,

It seems like Canadian med schools are not interested in me, and I don't think I am willing to spend another year working as I apply again in Ontario. So I had a question and wanted some input on it.

I am planning to apply to some caribbean medical schools, but I wanted to apply to some schools in Ontario again. If I were to start at a school in caribbean in Sept. 2010 (or Jan. 2011), do I have to notify ontario schools about this. If I do mention it in my OMSAS app., does it affect my chances negatively in canadian schools (i.e. would they think 'ohhh, this person is aleady in a med school, so it is okay if we don't call him for an interview')? What happens if I don't mention anything about starting somewhere else? Is there a way they can find out (i.e. is there a central system through which, when OMSAS is processing my application, they will find out that I have already been accepted to a caribbean med school?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Please see my PM.

Future_Doc,

I appreciate your willingness to help people, but I think that private messaging them is not as useful as giving a public advice that everyone can see. That way, more people with similar problems can read it, and will no longer have to make new threads regarding the same topic. Just my two cents

Point taken and will be guided accordingly for the future. Sorry & thanks.

I believe a member today on another thread said that Canadian med schools have no problem with considering an applicant who is already in a Caribbean med school. And another member of this forum had an identical problem this cycle, i.e., prsently in Caribbean med school, accepted for an interview here this cycle and only commenced in the Caribbean after having already applied with OMSAS, so there is no obligation to advice adcom of his being in a Caribbean med school but likely, no harm in so doing. Those are the essentials of my PM.

There is a question on the app that asks if you are already enrolled elsewhere, so I assume that you must disclose the information.

I was thinking of enrolling starting January, because that would give me time to complete Canadian/US applications. So in terms of disclosing information, I may not have accepted a Caribbean school's offer before submitting both primaries and secondaries.

I already heard from one of the forum members about this, but does someone else recommend for/against starting med school at the non-traditional start times (Jan. or May). According to this member, someone who starts in January will either not finish in time to apply for residency positions in 4 yrs. or will have to try to finish their studies in 3.5 yrs which could be really stressful. Does anyone else have any insight on this?

I was thinking of enrolling starting January, because that would give me time to complete Canadian/US applications. So in terms of disclosing information, I may not have accepted a Caribbean school's offer before submitting both primaries and secondaries.

I already heard from one of the forum members about this, but does someone else recommend for/against starting med school at the non-traditional start times (Jan. or May). According to this member, someone who starts in January will either not finish in time to apply for residency positions in 4 yrs. or will have to try to finish their studies in 3.5 yrs which could be really stressful. Does anyone else have any insight on this?

That sounds logical to me, there are often set times for things at most schools, and it is not often logical to go with unusual configurations

I don't think you have to report education you are planning to do in the future when you submit your application (?) I certainly didn't say I was talking more courses when I applied as I can't produce a verifier for things I haven't done yet. If you don't have to, I wouldn't mention it.

Archived