Premed 101 Forums

Official NHL Playoffs Thread

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty sad Sens game tonight. Elliott needs to be more consistent, and Spezza needs to stop passing the f**king puck

I'm a Pens fan, but even trying be impartial about it I think that Pittsburgh has this one...Ottawa is simply outgunned. And although it was no Andy Sutton hit, your boy Alfredsson sure got his bell rung by Crosby!

Pretty sad Sens game tonight. Elliott needs to be more consistent, and Spezza needs to stop passing the f**king puck
Yeah, unfortunately. It's was ok until the Pens scored their 2nd goal after Fisher tied it, but then the Sens seemed to let up and then Pens really put the pressure on. I actually didn't find Elliott to be too bad (we've seen how shakey he can really be at times), but I totally agree with the Spezza comment. Especially the blind backhand passes to the front of the net.

I just watched the highlights of the Avs/Sharks game. Avs are outshot 51-17, Anderson is fantastic, and Dan Boyle gets the game winning goal...for the other team. Poor guy.

Before OT, I wasn't sure who I wanted to win... The Sharks absolutely dominated the Avs, so for them to lose after all that would have been awful (obviously). At the same time, for the Avs to lose after Anderson had such a great game would have been awful as well (obviously).

Boyle should have paid more attention to where he was passing the puck. Sure, O'Reilly was there, but he wasn't really putting any pressure on Boyle, so he had lots of time. At the same time, Nabokov should have had that (i.e., he SHOULD have been right up against the post).

Well, after last nights game, I feel that the Sens will lose game 5 and end up with another quick playoff exit. Bummer.

It ain't over till its over, but its going to be a long shot at winning the series:o The Sens have issues all over the board.

1) Inconsistent goaltending. You don't need a big name goalie to get you deep in the playoffs, you just need a consistent one that can make key saves at the right times. Example: Brian Boucher, Tuuka Rask, Varlamov. Niether Leclaire nor Elliott are capable at this time to do such.

2) Invisible defense. Your d-men are supposed to provided added protection and prevent as many shots and opportunities as possible. Unfortunately for the Sens last night there was NO defense. Our defense doesn't back-check and never finishes their checks. This almost always leads to odd man rushes and easy entry into our zone. Look at how much more difficult it was for us to get near Fleury. The big reason: Back-checking! The Sens, instead of challenging their offense, chose instead to back off and skate WITH them instead of AGAINST them. This is a big reason why niether of our goalies were good last night, they were left hung out to dry.

3) Lack of offense. Simply put Alfredsson, while still a legend in Ottawa, is past his prime. Spezza was and still is expected to be our number 1 goal scorer but unfortunately he isn't. The problem: No Heatley. When Spezza recieved that gigantic $8 million extension he was feeding off of the gritty hard working style of play that Heatley has. Now that Spezza has no wingman he has no step to his play, and his poor puck-possession gaffs are looking even worse.

The problem: No Heatley. When Spezza recieved that gigantic $8 million extension he was feeding off of the gritty hard working style of play that Heatley has.

Made me laugh for a good amount of time. Heatley....gritty or hard working. He might as well have a stool to sit on at the top of the circle or slot, because he was never the one on the boards. Spezza has missed his trigger man though.

Made me laugh for a good amount of time. Heatley....gritty or hard working. He might as well have a stool to sit on at the top of the circle or slot, because he was never the one on the boards. Spezza has missed his trigger man though.

I was referring to his general style of play. I know he's not a Jarome Iginla, but he's more in-your-face than Spezza.

It ain't over till its over, but its going to be a long shot at winning the series:o The Sens have issues all over the board.

1) Inconsistent goaltending. You don't need a big name goalie to get you deep in the playoffs, you just need a consistent one that can make key saves at the right times. Example: Brian Boucher, Tuuka Rask, Varlamov. Niether Leclaire nor Elliott are capable at this time to do such.

2) Invisible defense. Your d-men are supposed to provided added protection and prevent as many shots and opportunities as possible. Unfortunately for the Sens last night there was NO defense. Our defense doesn't back-check and never finishes their checks. This almost always leads to odd man rushes and easy entry into our zone. Look at how much more difficult it was for us to get near Fleury. The big reason: Back-checking! The Sens, instead of challenging their offense, chose instead to back off and skate WITH them instead of AGAINST them. This is a big reason why niether of our goalies were good last night, they were left hung out to dry.

3) Lack of offense. Simply put Alfredsson, while still a legend in Ottawa, is past his prime. Spezza was and still is expected to be our number 1 goal scorer but unfortunately he isn't. The problem: No Heatley. When Spezza recieved that gigantic $8 million extension he was feeding off of the gritty hard working style of play that Heatley has. Now that Spezza has no wingman he has no step to his play, and his poor puck-possession gaffs are looking even worse.

I'd argue that out goaltending hasn't been that bad and that lack of offense isn't the problem (but I can't be bothered to type out my entire argument :P )

However, the D has not been solid. I 100% agree with point #2 that you made.

I agree with this. "Gritty" is not the term I'd use, but I see what ryansn was getting at.

Halak definitely won that game (and the one before) for Montreal. No question. 53 saves yesterday, 41 today... freakin' awesome! He definitely stood on his head for these games! Montreal's D better get with it though. The goalie shouldn't have to face that many shots. With a team like Pittsburgh, they've gotta make sure that they don't give them that many shots, because Pittsburgh will score.

Predictions for the first round of playoffs:

Montreal in 7 (over Washington)

Boston in 5 (over Buffalo)

Vancouver in 7 (over LA.... the 'nucks won't choke until the 2nd round....)

Pittsburgh in 6 (I can see Ottawa putting up a good fight)

Philly in 7 (over NJ)

Phoenix in 7 (huge upset win over Detriot)

Chicago in 5 (over Nashville)

Colorado in 5 (San Jose chokes... like always)

I did not too bad at my first round predictions. 6/8 winners is not too bad (number of games though... need to work on that:rolleyes:)

Second round predictions:

Pittsburgh in 5 (unless Halak stands on his head again.. in which case this could go to 7- but I still predict a Pittsburgh win)

Boston in 6

Detroit in 6 (San Jose will choke... it's just a matter of when)

Chicago in... 7 (Vancouver overplays Luongo in the regular season. Expect him to start showing signs of fatigue soon)

Anyone else care to peer into the mystical crystal ball and predict the 2nd round winners/losers?

I have a hard time seeing Boston upset Buffalo. Miller's having an outstanding year and Boston has a tough time scoring goals. I know that Buffalo has some key injuries, but unless Boston wins their games in close, low-scoring fashion, like 2-1, it's going to be tough. Plus Tuukka (awesome first name) Rask would need to play lights-out.
So I was totally off with this post.

Predictions:

Pitt in 6

Philly in 6

Chicago in 6

Detroit in 6

So I realize this isn't really playoffs related, but has anyone else checked out the Team Canada roster for the IIHF World Hockey Championship? (if not... here it is: http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/feature/?id=21234)

Surprising some of the names that are/aren't on there. For example... I don't even know of the one goalie at all (who is Chad Johnson??). Also surprised that neither Getzlaf nor Iginla (and others) are on the team (they may have turned down the invite though).

Odds we'll beat Russia with Ovechkin and Semin? I'd say pretty low, unless our offense is able to break past Russia's defence, and our defense is able to hold off AO. But considering there aren't as many awesome D-men as there were at the Olympics... I'd say that we're not going to win this one....

But that's ok... we won where it REALLY mattered ;) hehehe

Archived