Premed 101 Forums

Official NHL Playoffs Thread

So I realize this isn't really playoffs related, but has anyone else checked out the Team Canada roster for the IIHF World Hockey Championship? (if not... here it is: http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/feature/?id=21234)

Surprising some of the names that are/aren't on there. For example... I don't even know of the one goalie at all (who is Chad Johnson??). Also surprised that neither Getzlaf nor Iginla (and others) are on the team (they may have turned down the invite though).

Odds we'll beat Russia with Ovechkin and Semin? I'd say pretty low, unless our offense is able to break past Russia's defence, and our defense is able to hold off AO. But considering there aren't as many awesome D-men as there were at the Olympics... I'd say that we're not going to win this one....

But that's ok... we won where it REALLY mattered ;) hehehe

Yeah. On sportscentre they mentioned that most of the olympians (not in the playoffs) were asked to go to the Worlds but they turned it down due to the extended hockey season for them. And then the regular NHL season was more condensed so guys want to rest. I'm not expecting much from the Canadians this year, but you never know.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I realize this isn't really playoffs related, but has anyone else checked out the Team Canada roster for the IIHF World Hockey Championship? (if not... here it is: http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/feature/?id=21234)

Surprising some of the names that are/aren't on there. For example... I don't even know of the one goalie at all (who is Chad Johnson??). Also surprised that neither Getzlaf nor Iginla (and others) are on the team (they may have turned down the invite though).

Odds we'll beat Russia with Ovechkin and Semin? I'd say pretty low, unless our offense is able to break past Russia's defence, and our defense is able to hold off AO. But considering there aren't as many awesome D-men as there were at the Olympics... I'd say that we're not going to win this one....

But that's ok... we won where it REALLY mattered ;) hehehe

Getzlaf is injured. That ankle injury that almost knocked him out of the Olympics really flared up down the stretch. Guys like Iggy, Nash, Weber and Marty Brodeur have really no interest in playing for the Worlds. They had disappointing seasons (aside from the gold), and a lot of them need to take the summers off to recoup. Guys who were left off the Olympic team (Phaneuf, Bouwmeester, Mike Green, etc) also turned down invites. Maybe their way of snubbing Hockey Canada back. Must have hurt to be left off that team, especially for Green, who was leading d-men in points in the NHL, but was singled out for not being sound defensively (Yzerman was right about that btw, did you see Green in the playoffs? lol). Really this tourney for Canada is about giving the young guys a taste of senior int'l hockey (Stamkos, Tavares, Duchene, Kane, Myers, etc.). They'll play hard to make a name for themselves for the future, just like Doughty did last year. Even Stamkos said he's basically treating this as a tryout for future big tournaments.

Honestly, you gotta give credit to Ovie. Heartbreak at the Olympics, heartbreak in the playoffs, but he still answers the bell to rep his country in a subpar tournament. Same can be said for Ryan Smyth. Captain Canada better be wearing the C, he is all balls.

And another Canadian team is eliminated. Kindo of funny how chicago beat vancouver exactly one year to the day that they eliminated them from the playoffs last year in the same number of games. It makes one of my predictions look good at least.

Chicago in 6

I was at that game. Completely demoralizing. Crowd had lots of energy and even started a rousing chant after going down 2-0. That 3-0 SH goal sapped so much energy.

My favourite part of the game was the "Balls of Steel" chant started in our section when Salo took his first shift.

Predictions for CFs:

Habs in 6

Hawks in 6

But I was looking at the schedules, and how does the NHL plan these things? For both the WCF and the ECF, games 1&2 are played on the same days. I think they should be alternating. There should be hockey every night. wtf nhl.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived