Premed 101 Forums

Help!!!!

By the way I appreciate all of your help guys. Does anyone know the best way to do soul searching and find something you're interested in, I might even take a year off school and really how I took advantage of the great opportunity I had.

If you don't care for any particular subject why are you in university? I could be completely wrong, but you seem to pursuing medicine for the wrong reasons- family and social influences. If this is your case I can somewhat relate. My parents always pressured me to pursue medicine. Although I knew that at the end of the day they would accept whatever career choice I made, the implicit expectation was still there. From HS I entered a science track and felt indifferent toward science. My performance was extremely poor but I just figured things would magically work out and I would get into med school through a miracle (seriously!). By the time I graduated, I had a super low cGPA and didn't really know what to do next, as medicine was clearly out of the question. In short, I worked a bit and volunteered oversease. It was only then that I discovered my passion and was lead back onto the path of medicine on my own accord.

So how does this tangent relate to you? You may be lacking direction in life and need to figure out what you are passionate about. This may require that you take a leave from school. Once you figure it out, things will naturally fall into place. Analyze and reflect on your poor academic performance. Your performance in high school is not a good indicator of how you will perform in university. Nevertheless, if your HS teacher saw something in you, it's probably because you do have some sort of raw potential. Be honest to yourself and your family. The worst thing you could do is hide your current performance from your loved ones, as sooner or later you will have to disclose why you can't get into medical school!

I really hope you find your way soon.

________

LINCOLN LS HISTORY

wow you sound like a loser get your **** together, this is just a sign you don't belong in med it's that simple.

Totally uncalled for. Some people go through rough times.

To the OP: If I was in your shoes, this is what I would do.

1. Focus exams, life decisions can wait until next week. Don't let this be an excuse to not study and do poorly.

2. I'd study for the MCAT this summer. No excuse give it 100%.

3. I'd complete a third year in science at western. I'd make sure to take all the pre-reqs so that I could apply to a two year nursing degree.

4. I'd graduate with a three year BSC and start fresh in nursing. That way I'd have a back-up career if med didn't work out. I'd make sure I'd work my ass off for the next two years and apply to meds.

.....If you find motivation is REALLY lacking, try working for year. Nothing motivates quite like being forced to work nine to five job that you hate. You'll soon see what a privledge school and studying something even remotely interesting is:)

This is probably some of the best advice I have gotten, I know, I am tired of school at this point in my life, I always thought of getting out of the country and doing some volunteering to teach me to appreciate how fortunate I am.

Because I did not have much money to my name upon graduation, I worked and saved for six months and traveled for 5 months by myself. Although you will meet really amazing people on your travels, you will have a lot of alone time and will be forced to answer the deeper questions about your life and future. I definitely agree with the other poster that working a regular 9-5 will likely enable you to see how privilege you are to be in school and will motivate you to do well in school so you don't end up in such a position for the rest of your life.

Be aware of the fraudulent organizations who will tell you to pay 2K to volunteer somewhere for 2-4 wks. Volunteering overseas should not cost much. The biggest expense should be your flight, followed by accommodations. If you want to do sight seeing and travel a bit, this will cost you an arm and a leg as everything is catered toward foreigners who have disposal money.

________

Marijuana Seed

I agree with the other posters. heyman, you seem to be studying science and medicine because other people tell you to do it and because you did well in it in high school. But university is so much tougher than high school and you can't get by with studying for things only one week in advance. You should also be doing things because you enjoy them and not for any other reason. Do some soul searching and find a degree you actually enjoy doing. This degree is more than just a piece of paper; it's your future. I had a high school teacher who did terrible in university. He told me that his biggest mistake was that he majored in a program that he wasn't interested in but that he thought he could do well in. Don't make that mistake.

Work for a while and figure out what you want to do with your life. At this point I don't think you want med enough to actually make it through. Volunteer with organizations that you think are interesting. Talk to people in fields that you might want to get into and find out what is required to get into those fields. Do not keep going with university when you are just drifting and not focussed. It is a waste of your money and your time and you will keep getting poor grades.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead. I actually ended up doing a huge life change this past summer, I redid that course got like a 98, I know it doesn't mean much, did the 2nd part of the course got like a 94. I also ended up doing my MCAT got the score back recently and did fairly well (36T.) Now I need some help, since getting my **** together, I was wondering what school's will look at my best two years, I want MAC badly, but they're cGPA can I do a special permission form if I explain my situation or anything like that and they see a huge increase. What about a second degree, I am finishing a four year honors so I don't throw queens or western away as potential options.

Archived