Premed 101 Forums

Masters of Science in Biotechnology program (Boston vs. Montreal)

Hey guys,

I got accepted to a Masters of Science programs (2yrs) in McGill and Northeastern University (NU) in Boston. My problem is making the decision of where to attend this fall.

Both cities, Montreal and Boston are major Biotech hubs and this is the reason why I chose to apply at these locations. I need some advice on which institution I should consider more:

For ones thing, I live in Canada and tuition for McGill is considerably cheaper (about half of the tuition cost of Northeastern). It is also a top tier university, not also in Canada but in the world. NU isn't top tier, but is a fast growing university and is #1 in the nation for its competitive internships. That was actually the reason I chose to apply there, because of the chance to work with a top company in Boston and network. McGill also has an internship opportunity but not as renowned at NU.

In terms of the cost of living, McGill is much cheaper and I can afford a nice apartment. Living in Boston is very expensive on the other hand, so I do have to take out a loan.

It may seem that McGill may outweigh NU, I really consider NU for its internship opportunities. The point of my continuing studies is to sell myself with a good resume, and working with a top company in Boston will complement that.

Also I wonder, do rankings really matter for you and/or potential employers?

its a tough situation. like you said, you want to work with a company in boston in the future. So going to Boston has its own advantage. As for rankings, I think mcgill ranks well. I think it comes down to internship opportunities, especially the ones that will allow you to work with a "top company" in Boston.

Archived