Premed 101 Forums

Any chance for # of spots for OOP Canadian applicants to increase..

Caide

..in the next few years? What exactly is the reason for the number being so small?

According to Michel Dansereau its because the QC government allocates a certain number of spots for OOP and internationals every year. And the spots are divided among the medical schools in QC, with McGill usually getting the most number of spots. I'm guessing the limitation on spots is based on funding. I'm sure the QC government would rather fund the students from Quebec over OOP and internationals.

• 3 weeks later...
..in the next few years? What exactly is the reason for the number being so small?

The number of places have more or less been constant, and is consistent with what is available elsewhere, and aside from what the previous posters have mentioned about the Quebec government having a say in the number of places, there are also other reasons.

One, the places are divided amongst differents groups, 80 med-p, 80 mdcm, and I'm not sure how many mdmba and mdphd. Which in the end, creates places that are comparable with other universities.

Two, there used to be more spots, but because of budget constrainsts in the 90s that is the result of pass government spendings like bigshots after duplessis, the government had to cutback on enrollment.

The goverment wants the biggest bang for the buck it can get for its investment. That means training Quebec students to be doctors who will stay in Quebec. McGill no longer requires MCAT and I believe the reason originally was to ensure that there would be more French speaking applicants who would not be discriminated against by requiring them to write the MCAT in a language other than their own. Now,OOPs do not require MCAT abd the reason may be one of fairness.

Any idea, what type of stats a competitive candidate would need to have to get an interview/ultimately get accepted if they are out of province applicants for mcgill? Considering now the mcat has been removed... and I think there are like 9 OOP spots? correct me if im wrong?

Also how exactly is the gpa calculated for mcgill? is it a straight up four years?, with no weighting?

Thanks in advance.

No weighting. Like U/T, you need to do very well on the autobio questions, they want well rounded individuals and it all depends upon the pool for the GPA, bugt considering they only take about 8 OOP, you need a high one.

Why not move to Quebec for a year not being a fulltime student, and after being a Quebec resident, apply IP, thereb y dramatically improving your chances!!!

So I geuss were talking mid 3.9s over 4 years lol. There will probably be a large influx of applicants this year now that the mcat has been lifted(pushing that gpa ever so much higher). Thanks for the reply.

That seems highly likely. Since this is the first year without the MCAT requirement, you don't know until you try :)

I wouldn't say mid 3.9s, but for sure your Answers to their Questions must be stellar in their view and your referees must see you in the top 10% or better 5% on the Confidential Assessment Form and any LORs need to be really strong. They also want you to be a well rounded individual, but I am sure deeman and ontariostudent, b oth being OOPs who have been accepted, can giv e you more relevant information and advice..

Any idea, what type of stats a competitive candidate would need to have to get an interview/ultimately get accepted if they are out of province applicants for mcgill? Considering now the mcat has been removed... and I think there are like 9 OOP spots? correct me if im wrong?

Also how exactly is the gpa calculated for mcgill? is it a straight up four years?, with no weighting?

Thanks in advance.

I believe if you do write the MCAT they still want to see it, or you at least have the option to include it. So if you have a good score, it could help.

In terms of competitiveness for GPA I had a 3.94 and I haven't really heard of any other accepted OOPs having less than that...lol. That should give you a ball park estimate.

I wouldn't say mid 3.9s, but for sure your Answers to their Questions must be stellar in their view and your referees must see you in the top 10% or better 5% on the Confidential Assessment Form and any LORs need to be really strong. They also want you to be a well rounded individual, but I am sure deeman and ontariostudent, b oth being OOPs who have been accepted, can giv e you more relevant information and advice..

Don't forget Rach! She's in my class. :)

^ that and I feel McGill is more research oriented, gives me summers off to do stuff, has more opportunities in terms of clinical rotations, has a great philosophy for clerks (ie. gives them a lot of responsibility), etc. Most importantly though I felt McGill would give me the best shot at a competitive residency, not just by the program's quality itself but also through other opportunities available there. Oh yea and it actually SAVES me money to go to McGill. Even with an extra year and as an OOP. lol

ps. Montreal > Hamilton :)

Regarding residencies, I asked this question a little while ago, and from what I could find out, you can apply to both US and Canadian residencies at the same time. However, it depends on whether CaRMS (Canadian matching service) or NRMP (US matching service) takes place first (this changes year to year). If you've applied to both, and you've matched to NRMP (which we'll say took place before CaRMS that year), then you're automatically withdrawn from CaRMS and vice versa (thanks mystery_chick).

Archived