Premed 101 Forums

How is the rural medicine rotation like in terms of life?

I'm wondering for those that have done their rural rotation, how is it like? especially those that have been shipped deeply up north. I hear the quality of life during those four weeks is horrible because there is little leisure, no internet and so on.

What a day like in a rural clinic?

I can't comment on the leisure time but I can't imagine there not being internet lol. You're probably mildly insulting some rural folks on these forums :)

I am feeling mildly insulted. :P

To the OP, I can't comment at all on where you might get placed for rural experience, but speaking from a rural community in Northern BC, we certainly do have internet.

If you're worried about more isolated rural communities like the ones you might find in the Arctic, I can't be certain, but in our modern age of supercomputers and robot armies and Canadarms and iPhones, there can't be too many communities that are internetless--even in the most remote areas.

Fewer learners = more personal attention and teaching. You may be the only trainee there, and first in line for everything!

Small towns in need of doctors = people are friendly and welcoming

Free accommodation/food/ample parking/short commute.

Any rural site that is chosen by a medical school would generally be large enough to have a hospital and offer experiences in all major areas of medicine (OB, ER, surgery, FP).

During downtime - go to the gym, explore the town (shopping, restaurants, library, local attractions), take advantage of the outdoor activities available. We always had TV and internet available.

I think the majority of people enjoyed their rural rotations - the major downside is isolation from family and friends.

Archived