Premed 101 Forums

I am confused about the path leading to medical school!

WorkStudyWork

Hello, first time poster here. I'm a Quebec CEGEP student and will be finishing my science program in May 2011. I have never been sure as to whether or not I would prefer to go to medical school or not. Either way, my R-Score is below 34 due to my not-good-enough results that I obtained in my first session. This probably means I am not going to be joining what is called Pre-Med, but I have to ask what is Pre-med exactly?

Correct me if I am wrong. The way I see it, once you finish high school or CEGEP, you join an undergraduate program of your choice that does not affect in any way your application to medical school, right? This means I can join biochemistry at McGill with a normal R-Score ( Heck, even a 30 R-Score should be accepted at that program, right? ) and then finish that program with a good GPA and be accepted in Med School.

If this is all correct, then what the heck is Pre-med? What does Pre-med have that other undergraduate science programs don't have, and does it kill my chances of going to Med School if I don't do Pre-Med?

Thanks for answering!

Pre-med is only for students that got accepted into medicine straight out of cegep. It consists of basic university level science courses (as well as other courses such as electives) and is designed to put all students on par in terms of scientific knowledge before they enter the actual medical program.

However, if you are not accepted straight out of cegep, you can always apply to an undergraduate program (any that interests you) and upon completion of this program (3-years generally in length) you will be "qualified" to apply as a university student to McGill's M.D.CM program.

As you said, your R-score after your 3 years of undergrad is disregarded and they look only at your GPA. Also, most undergraduate programs do not require higher than a 30 r-score to get into.

Thank God. I work and have a lot going in my life so I do not have as much time to focus on my CEGEP grades, even though I can still focus for the finals and get 90% on every single exam. Even then, I'll probably only end up with a 31.00 R-Score. Again, thank god this is enough for me!

Thank you for your answer!

my R-Score is below 34

Is your R-Score close to 34?

I have been accepted with a 33.4. You should definitively give a shot for it if you R Score is above 32,7-33,0. If you make it to the interviews, everything becomes possible. :)

Is your R-Score close to 34?

I have been accepted with a 33.4. You should definitively give a shot for it if you R Score is above 32,7-33,0. If you make it to the interviews, everything becomes possible. :)

I probably won't get significantly higher than 32. If I do hit 33, it's going to be because everyone in my classes failed horribly. I won't count on it. I don't mind doing the 3 year undergraduate program. The honors research program is still a great opportunity it seems.

Thank you for the motivation =p

Undergrad gives you time to mature and improve. Only in UG, not during Cegep, did I develop a strong work ethic and make academics my priority.

If you study something you will enoy in UG, it is likely you will obtain a higher GPA b/c you will be motivated. You definiitely will need to prioritize well and develop excellent time asnd stress management skills.

For McGill med especially, they are looking for a well rounded individual, not someone who just gets competitive grades. So, you will need to prove my your deeds that you are an active and responsible citizen beyond your grades. Accordingly, volunteering and ECs become important. Here again, do what you enjoy, whether organized or not.

For the French speaking schools, these activities are not important or really looked at per se, although they do give you context and more to talk about during the MEM/MMI.

I was a straight A student. This was the result of very hard work on my part. I did not take an honours program b/c I felt this would negatively impact upon my grades. I will never k now now whether my assessment was correct but I am happy the way things have turned out. I made a strategic decision not to enter an honours program and if you go into one, do so with your eyes open.

I probably won't get significantly higher than 32. If I do hit 33, it's going to be because everyone in my classes failed horribly. I won't count on it. I don't mind doing the 3 year undergraduate program. The honors research program is still a great opportunity it seems.

Thank you for the motivation =p

I've learned yesterday that the last cegepian admitted in premed this year has a r score of 31,75. You should give a shot.... you never know !

Archived