Premed 101 Forums

help? confused US student!

Hello

So I kind of have a weird situation, I guess.

Here's my backstory:

I'm currently attending Univ of California, Los Angeles as a third year undergrad and on track for a BA in Psychology. Also, I'm taking some of the medical school prerequisites (bio, chem, ochem, calc,) as well though because I was originally planning on going to medical school (here in the US).

But plans have recently changed. My family is going to be immigrating to Canada in a year or so for a couple of different reasons. I don't plan on going with them then because I want to finish my degree at UCLA so I'll be following them in 2 years. So I guess now my plan is to go to medical school in Canada... but I'm very confused at the whole process because it is kind of different there, although not by a whole lot.

I guess the complicated thing is the whole immigration process. I think if all goes well, we're probably eligible to apply as Permanent Residents and so I'll be able to apply like how a Can Citizen would?

But then there's also the thing with the med school prerequisites. As of now, I think I'll probably be able to finish the classes if I overload on classes. But I don't know if I want to do that. So I'm thinking maybe I could finish it when I move up there? I didn't put physics on the list on the first paragraph because it doesn't really fit my schedule, as of now.

I don't really know how the whole taking classes at a university works in Canada? In the US, there are community colleges where you don't really have to go by the admissions process and you can just take those classes.

Is it like that in Canada? And I guess another option I could probably do, is take up another bachelor's degree? This time, I would want to do a Biology or something more science related, but again, I don't really know the process there?? Are you allowed to apply for another Bachelor's if you already have one from another college? I've looked at the website for UBC and I don't see any information about that. Oh yeah I'm hoping to either find colleges around BC or Ontario because that's where my family is probably going to live.

I don't know who to ask regarding all my questions... and I still have a lot. And before you suggest, I'm going to be following my family, no doubt about that. I mean, it would be cool to still go to a medical school here in the US, but I want to be near my family so I want to go to a Canadian medical school for sure. I just need to learn how to go about doing that.

Thanks for all the advices! :D

I am sure you can study as an unclassified student or part time student in most universities to take courses that do not count towards a degree. You don't have to go through the same admission process for high school graduate. Some universities you can just go and start. Some may require some simple admission process but shouldn't be too complicated.

Oooh. Hopefully I won't have to go through that admission process, that's what I'm most worried about because I don't want to go through with that? I just want to take classes so I'll be able to go to med school because I don't really want to waste time... but then there's also the residency requirements of having to live/study there for a couple years... that sucks but I guess I will abide by their rules.

Thanks for your input!

You want to become a Permanent Resident in Canada b/c the cost of med school will be very considerably less; and very considerably less than in the US. Then there is the issue of what is your GPA and how will it be interpreted here. Additionally, most med schools here require the MCAT, not U of Ottawa. Each med school has their own addmissions policies, e.g., 2 best years, 2 last years, weighted GPA @ U of Toronto if you have taken full course load; for U of Ottawa, they weight each successive year of study heavier than the last. Some have prerequisites, others not. Med schools here look for well rounded applicants, including volunteers, hopefully with patients, but not necessarly. Then, there are the cut-offs in terms of MCAT, GPA and the GPA cut-off can vary depending upon you are IP, in province resident, or OOP out-of-province resident. And when you get to the interview stage, you should have some familiarity with our helatchcare system and know about the MMI, although some med schools have traditional interviews.

In summary, it is simple, yet complicated.

For starters, I would suggest that you become a permanent resident as soon as is reasonably possible, meaning, if possible, why not immigrate with yur parents and then temporarily reside at the university where you study. No doubt, yourparents have an immigration lawyer and thelawyer should be appraiswed of your situation so as to give specific advice to your needs to acquire permant residency, as you want to enter med school here and be subject to the favourabler rules for Canadians.

I dunno if I understand you on the last paragraph because I'm not really sure how this whole immigration thing works but are you suggesting that I apply to be a resident along with my family? I think this would work but like I said, I'm not sure about how that whole immigration thing works, so I might not be able to do that because I don't want to give up my California residency because then my tuition for my university right now will skyrocket.

I guess I can just wait for a couple of years and spend 4 years or so in one province in order to become a permanent resident there or something before going to medical school. I would need it to because I would need to buff up my resume, do some volunteering, finish those premed classes and take the MCATs.

Thanks for the advice though! It definitely helped me in trying to decide what I want to do :)

Well, for sure, you don't want to find yourself in the twilight zone, for example, by missing out on PR in Canada by aving shown to remain in USA. We both don't really know what we are talking about other than to say that you need timely top immigration law advice form a Canadian attorney who is familiar with your type of situation form the USA. One attorney experienced in Canadian immiration law who is also a member of a US State Bar comes to mind.

I am suggesting that you need to carefully weigh youroptions taking into consideration the financial aspects and the legal aspects. I repeat on a K.I.S.S basis (Keep It Simple Stupid) in order not to make a misstep that could screw you over, you need timely expert advice form the right professional now. You don't want to have regrets when it is too late to turn back the clock.

First and foremost, will you ever be able to obtain your residency in Canada later considering the date when the rest of your family immigrates to Canada, considering your age when you decide to cross the border. Will it be a walk or will you need to sneak in, figurativel speaking, in which case you will find Canadian med school tuition about $100,000/yr instead of 15-20k. So, there are may facotrs to consider and balance. In order to properly prepare the precise recipe that works for you, you need ALL possible information. Then make an informed decision.

It is simple and complicated.

thanks, f_d! you've given me lots to think about and have provided lots of good advice that i will work on soon!

oh, but i've also been lurking around this forum and reading the posts, looking at the stats and im shocked! the gpa of these applicants are really high!

...then i realized that the grading system of canada is different from the us. i wonder if that will screw me over? i mean, so far, ive only gotten 3 b's but they have been 85+% which would be a's there or would it not be? is my 85% equivalent to a ~79% there? is it hard to get 90+ or higher there?

sorry if i'm asking the wrong person. maybe i'll google more about gpa conversions and whatnot, but all i've seen are canadian to us gpa conversion and not the opposite. and also, in our transcripts, they don't include the percentages so its just the letters.. hopefully when im having it convert to canadian standards, it wont get lowered because of that...

(I thought you would be a PR so I didnt talk about it) But if you don't have PR or citizenship in Canada, it is not only the tuition matters but as an international student, you wouldn't be eligible to apply for most of the schools. Many schools don't accept international students and I guess there are less than 20 seats in all Canadian universities that can be given to international students. I am an international student now and that just means a no to me. I would sugges you to get your PR before apply.

Archived