Premed 101 Forums

Only For Ladies: Where is Hair Attractive on a Guy?

axel

Where is hair Attractive on a Guy?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Where is hair Attractive on a Guy?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Persia does not exist, there's no such thing as persian.

Iran exists. You're iranian.

And yes, you're the hairiest mofos on the planet, hah. But I generalize, some of you can also be non-hairy.

What's up with the hate? Has a Persian/Iranian done something to you?

Should Americans call themselves united-statians because the America's doesn't belong solely to them?

Oops...

What's up with the hate? Has a Persian/Iranian done something to you?

Should Americans call themselves united-statians because the America's doesn't belong solely to them?

Oops...

Could you pick a stupider example? American is the accepted term. Has been for hundreds of years. Might as well call the Dutch 'Netherlanders' by your (il)logic.

I'm not going to stop anybody from calling themselves Persian; I just think it's tacky and unclassy (I get the impression they make the name swap solely because they think it's classy). I always rag on my 'Persian' friends for this.

I'm not going to stop anybody from calling themselves Persian; I just think it's tacky and unclassy (I get the impression they make the name swap solely because they think it's classy). I always rag on my 'Persian' friends for this.

The name switch only happened in '35, and in '59 it was made official that either Persia or Iran was appropriate as the two names are interchangeable. Persia is historically what other people called Iran, and Iran is what Persians referred to their own country as. So whether they call themselves Persian or Iranian is a matter of preference, as they're two names for occupants of the same country.

e: Incidentally, a lot of the Iranian diaspora apparently prefers the term Persian for the same reasons I guessed at. Persia invokes images of an ancient, proud, and rich history, while Iran invokes images of violence, corruption, theocracy, and otherwise a country headed straight for catastrophe.

Could you pick a stupider example? American is the accepted term. Has been for hundreds of years. Might as well call the Dutch 'Netherlanders' by your (il)logic.

Why would it be unclassy? The term in and of itself is no more inappropriate than american or dutch. The only difference is that the term "american" was coined HUNDREDS!! (~200) of years ago.

I don't understand why some people here so threatened by the word "Persian".

When I came to Canada I learned from my Persian/Iranian AND other Canadians that we are referred to as Persian. Now I'm used to that. I take that you guys pretty smart being on a premed forum and should realize when someone says Persian they mean "of Iranian origins" so there shouldn't any confusion. Also thanks for bringing up the Dutch and American examples.

ps. if you look in any English dictionary you will find the word Persian and not Farsi as the proper English name for our language.

I don't understand why some people here so threatened by the word "Persian".

When I came to Canada I learned from my Persian/Iranian AND other Canadians that we are referred to as Persian. Now I'm used to that. I take that you guys pretty smart being on a premed forum and should realize when someone says Persian they mean "of Iranian origins" so there shouldn't any confusion. Also thanks for bringing up the Dutch and American examples.

ps. if you look in any English dictionary you will find the word Persian and not Farsi as the proper English name for our language.

Hahahahaha, lovin the reverse talk. If anything, you're the one who's threatened when we correct you in saying Iranian as it should be instead of referring to a non-existent empire.

yeah, most people on a premed forum should be pretty smart, that's why maybe you should relax and think about what we're saying.

anyway, nobody's forcing you to do anything. Some of our opinion is just that persian sounds tacky and unclassy.

freedom of speech and freedom of thought for both of us ultimately.

I'm surprised facial hair (beards/staches) was left out...

Facial hair is highly dependent on the guy. Some guys just don't have the face or the hair to grow any sort of beard. Other guys can pull it off pretty well. I'd assume it's a whole 'nother thing compared with liking chest hair.

Hahahahaha, lovin the reverse talk. If anything, you're the one who's threatened when we correct you in saying Iranian as it should be instead of referring to a non-existent empire.

yeah, most people on a premed forum should be pretty smart, that's why maybe you should relax and think about what we're saying.

anyway, nobody's forcing you to do anything. Some of our opinion is just that persian sounds tacky and unclassy.

freedom of speech and freedom of thought for both of us ultimately.

You need to be more pro-active in doing research into stuff that you express these sorts of opinions about. As I mentioned earlier, Persia is not "non-existant". The transition to Iran was seemingly abritrary. There was no political or demographic shift that accompanied it, the Reza Shah at the time simply decided he wanted the international community to recognize Persia by the name Persians called it, which is Iran. The name "Persia" was actually a name assigned to the country by Western nations, rather than what its indigenous people referred to it as, which is a big part of why the name changed. That changed happened in 1935. In 1959, another Shah decided that he'd officially announce that either Persia or Iran is an appropriate name for the nation.

In short, Persia never ceased to exist, both Persia and Iran are the officially recognized names of Iran and Persia, and it's a matter of personal preference as to which name you choose to call the country, although these days you usually only see Iran.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_Iran

You need to be more pro-active in doing research into stuff that you express these sorts of opinions about. As I mentioned earlier, Persia is not "non-existant". The transition to Iran was seemingly abritrary. There was no political or demographic shift that accompanied it, the Reza Shah at the time simply decided he wanted the international community to recognize Persia by the name Persians called it, which is Iran. The name "Persia" was actually a name assigned to the country by Western nations, rather than what its indigenous people referred to it as, which is a big part of why the name changed. That changed happened in 1935. In 1959, another Shah decided that he'd officially announce that either Persia or Iran is an appropriate name for the nation.

In short, Persia never ceased to exist, both Persia and Iran are the officially recognized names of Iran and Persia, and it's a matter of personal preference as to which name you choose to call the country, although these days you usually only see Iran.

You're right in the fact that the iranian goverment said iran and persia could be used interchangeably since '59.

But this more so just comes down to modern usage in the western world.

'Since then, in the Western World, the use of the word "Iran" has become more common.'

'Nonetheless, the word "Iran" has replaced "Persia" in the common usage.'

In addition to this, 'Iran or Islamic Republic of Iran' is the official and political name.

Anyway, zzz..

The bottom line is that it's not common but perfectly legitimate for an Iranian to refer to themselves as Persian, and getting uppity about it is dumb. The names are completely interchangeable and refer to literally the same country, both politically and demographically.

Hair question for women: Has any guy in the history of people having mohawks ever looked good with a mohawk? This goes for both huge punk mohawks, Taxi Driver mohawks, and those ****ty faux hawks that idiots who pop their collars sport to look edgy.

That's absolutely right, I asked about that from my father's friend and was gonna post it, but I just got home. Thanks for the clarification.

Head. Period. I'm not into the hairy beast look, but perhaps if you're a computer and/or engineering dork (it's my "thing") you may sway me.

Good luck cause the guys who only have hair on their heads are usually gay. (I'm very tempted to say always, because really... shaving your whole body is just..gay)

Archived