Premed 101 Forums

Online/Distance Education Biology w/Lab?

Just wondering if anyone knows which universities in Canada offer a distance Education first-year biology course with an actual lab component? I live in Alberta, and was hoping to do this in my spare time to open up more schools for me to apply to. The problem is that if I take the course from Dal (where I did my undergrad) the course is supposed to be excellent, but there is no lab... if I take the course from Athabasca University there is a Lab session in Edmonton, but the course apparently sucks, with only 1 exam for the ENTIRE year course; plus its not as structured.

Any ideas where else I should look?

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry I can't be more specific with my reply...

I seem to recall reading on at least one of the medical school websites that they would not accept distance education courses as either fulfilling specific pre-reqs or as part of their GPA calculation. I can't remember much more than this--but I definitely took note as I was considering doing some Athabasca myself.

I know I'm being completely unhelpful by throwing this stick in the wheels of your plan... please don't waste your time and energy doing this kind of course if you're not certain it will be accepted. (Call or communicate with whichever med schools you're seriously considering and ask them what they think.)

Best! A

Sorry, I really think this information is incorrect. I am considering doing an entire degree through correspondence, and I have called almost all schools in Canada to ask if it would be acceptable, to date I have not heard it would NOT be by even one school.

To OP- I did 1st term, 1st yr Bio through Thompson Rivers open learning. It had a lab component you completed at home. It was basic stuff. I am not sure if it would be acceptable as a pre-req course or not... I went on to do an entire degree in Bio so I have fulfilled requirements in any case.

Personally, I LOVE the athabasca labs! I just got back from an O-Chem lab, it was great fun.

Ath exams are easy and they offer supplementals too.

Courses at distance education institutions are generally designed to specifically fulfill requirements at many schools- they will often be acceptable, but make sure you call ahead and ask.

I seem to recall reading on at least one of the medical school websites that they would not accept distance education courses as either fulfilling specific pre-reqs or as part of their GPA calculation. I can't remember much more than this--but I definitely took note as I was considering doing some Athabasca myself.

I know I'm being completely unhelpful by throwing this stick in the wheels of your plan... please don't waste your time and energy doing this kind of course if you're not certain it will be accepted. (Call or communicate with whichever med schools you're seriously considering and ask them what they think.)

Best! A

Best! A

McGill has on their admissions page that you cannot do pre-reqs via distance ed, however it is possible to get special permission if there is no other possible way for you to complete the course. Or at least that's what they told me, we'll see once Minerva updates..

McGill has on their admissions page that you cannot do pre-reqs via distance ed, however it is possible to get special permission if there is no other possible way for you to complete the course. Or at least that's what they told me, we'll see once Minerva updates..

For most distance courses, there is no way for the medschool to even tell that they were done through correspondence. eg. TRU- it is just a TRU transcript. UBc distance ed, it is just on the UBC transcript.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry, I really think this information is incorrect. I am considering doing an entire degree through correspondence, and I have called almost all schools in Canada to ask if it would be acceptable, to date I have not heard it would NOT be by even one school.

To OP- I did 1st term, 1st yr Bio through Thompson Rivers open learning. It had a lab component you completed at home. It was basic stuff. I am not sure if it would be acceptable as a pre-req course or not... I went on to do an entire degree in Bio so I have fulfilled requirements in any case.

Personally, I LOVE the athabasca labs! I just got back from an O-Chem lab, it was great fun.

Ath exams are easy and they offer supplementals too.

Courses at distance education institutions are generally designed to specifically fulfill requirements at many schools- they will often be acceptable, but make sure you call ahead and ask.

Just thought I would let you know that U of O ( I cant speak for any other schools) does not accept distance education in its prereqs. I know because I started my BSc via distance education hoping to get into U of O in the MD program. Turns out you need to be engaged in full time studies in person in order to qualify (I have subsequently decided to switch programs and attend full time courses in person). I also enquired with U of T who accepts distance education but requires that all prereqs with lab components be done in person (they do not accept home labs). Hope this helps :D

U of T requires two full years of life sciences without labs. From the admissions page:

"Life Sciences are defined as any courses that deal with any kind of life system as their main content. That there be a lab component is not necessary. Some examples would include Biology, Botany, Zoology, Anatomy, and Biochemistry."

Just wanted to clear that up.

Archived