Premed 101 Forums

Histology Course :S

jt23

I'm not sure how much histopathology is taught in Canadian medical schools, but in the US you definitely need to be able to look at microscopic slides of pathologic tissue specimens and identify what is wrong. To do that it of course helps to first have a good foundation in the normal histology of the human body. If you want to do med school then taking this course might not be a bad idea to get your feet wet.

Like gross anatomy, I think histo is mostly rote memorization so the best way to learn it is just to look at slides over and over and over until your eyes bleed (ok, maybe not that much!). That said, it does help to get some big concepts down that are universal across all tissues, such as what gets stained by haematoxilin (sp?) and eosin on a slide, cell structures like basement membranes, what the different types of epithelial cells look like, the colours of the special stains and what they look for,etc. Knowing the conceptual stuff will help the little factoids stick easier.

In my school, they tought us only what is essential for the understanding of clinical medicine. That's the great thing about med school, everything we are tought is from a clinical perspective.

Histology was hard, but definitly not the hardest class. I've never taken histology before that class and didn't have too much problem.

Archived