Premed 101 Forums

Full Course Load requirement

Hi guys,

I understand that Western requires that one of your two full time years used in the GPA calculation be a senior year where 3/5 of your course load is 300 level and above. My two best full time years are first and 3rd year, with my 3rd year satisfying the 3/5 senior course requirement. Does Western require that my fourth year meet the 3/5 senior level course requirement, even if I don't use it as one of my best two years?

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys,

I understand that Western requires that one of your two full time years used in the GPA calculation be a senior year where 3/5 of your course load is 300 level and above. My two best full time years are first and 3rd year, with my 3rd year satisfying the 3/5 senior course requirement. Does Western require that my fourth year meet the 3/5 senior level course requirement, even if I don't use it as one of my best two years?

Thanks in advance!

Schulich will not require that your 4th year have the 3/5 senior level courses. However, Lupe made a very valid point about potentially increasing GPA cutoffs (if your 2 years are both 3.8+ this shouldn't be a concern).

I sent this email to UWO, no response yet:

As I understand it, to apply to the undergraduate M.D. program, I need two years of undergraduate with a full course load. I have 5 courses (full) in third year, but only 4.5 courses in my fourth year (September - May). I had to drop a course late in the spring semester, so I took my final half course for my degree the following semester in my fifth year. My first year of undergraduate I took 4 courses with 1 course over summer, and my second year I took 4 courses with two 0.5 courses over summer.

Is there any chance I am still eligible to apply?

Comments??

5th year was just that one 0.5 course. I've graduated now...

hmmm unfortunately it would seem that you are not eligible for Western then. You do need to have at least two years with 5.0 or more credits in them ultimately in order to get accepted. Now there are a number of other schools that won't care, but western is a little sticky on that point.

• 1 month later...

yes, as a note to all future applicants, western is very sticky about their full courseload requirements!

I received an acceptance last year, which was rescinded because I was 0.25 credits short in fourth year, and 0.01 GPA point below the cutoff in second year, despite letters of protest (haha) and support, regarding research I was doing at the time.

Never take less than full-time everyone!

yes, as a note to all future applicants, western is very sticky about their full courseload requirements!

I received an acceptance last year, which was rescinded because I was 0.25 credits short in fourth year, and 0.01 GPA point below the cutoff in second year, despite letters of protest (haha) and support, regarding research I was doing at the time.

Never take less than full-time everyone!

They gave you an interview though? It would seem that if they were willing to interview you, they'd be willing to accept you.

Haha, I'll explain better.

The interview was offered based on a full third year that was above the cutoff.

I thought I had no chance at western because the cutoff was higher in previous years.

I decided to take 4 courses my last semester of university, after previous 'overloaded' semesters got me ahead in credits. I made this choice (it was difficult!) for lots of reasons, after consulting with several people. I also made it well because western released their cutoffs, and without reading the fine print.

I was offered the interview before they could possibly have known about my incomplete final semester.

I did a great interview! which is good to know. All the while terrified about the credit dilemma.

I got my acceptance :) which was technically conditional. I contacted them immediately about my credit problem....I couldn't accept and hope thye wouldn't notice, because I was on other waitlists, and couldn't risk losing both.

They said I could appeal it, so I did my best, but it was ultimately - and not surprisingly - rejected.

Is that clearer?

It's really unfortunate, but I went into the interview knowing that, and they weren't out of line, it was a conditional acceptance. It's just good for everyone to know that they are not flexible!

Hi everyone:

I have a related question . . . any help appreciated!

I thought that I read somewhere that Western allows 1 pass/fail course per semester. Can anyone confirm if this is right or wrong???

Thanks!!

Hm, I don't know. But you can always just call/email admissions. It's part of their job to tell you this type of stuff.

Hi everyone:

I have a related question . . . any help appreciated!

I thought that I read somewhere that Western allows 1 pass/fail course per semester. Can anyone confirm if this is right or wrong???

Thanks!!

hi there!

that is correct- it is in the FAQ:

"Please note, only ONE Pass/Fail credit will be permissible in each of the two years being considered for GPA"

Haha thanks, it was unbelievable. Devastating. Would've been better off just being waitlisted. I'm over it now though! Reapplying everywhere. Last year was my first attempt so it's not bad.

Wow super positive attitude to the max! Keep going buddy, it's only a matter of time.

hi there!

that is correct- it is in the FAQ:

"Please note, only ONE Pass/Fail credit will be permissible in each of the two years being considered for GPA"

How would an exchange semester be looked at? My home university recorded these credits as pass/fail, therefore I have more than one. Will this mean only my GPA will be calculated from my first two years?

How would an exchange semester be looked at? My home university recorded these credits as pass/fail, therefore I have more than one. Will this mean only my GPA will be calculated from my first two years?

For that you can contact the office. I suspect they will be able to do something with the transcript from the over seas school but I am not sure. Exchanges are always tricky (as is doing anything "unusual" :) ).

thanks for the reply, rmorelan!

Kind of worried still though, as I have one clinical pass/fail course per semester (not per year) in my both second and third years (I'm in the process of completing my BScN). I wonder if it's too much to hope that they mean "one pass/fail course per year" as in one full year-long course vs one semester-long course???!

So I emailed UWO, asking

" . . . I was curious to know if pass/fail courses, in the way I have taken them, would disqualify me from being eligible to apply to the MD program.

In my second year, each of my two semesters included 4 lecture courses and 1 pass/fail course. The same was true in my third year.

I understand that the FAQ says that one pass/fail course is allowed in each of the years used to calculate GPA. Does this refer to one half-year course per year, or one full-year course per year?"

I got the reply that "

We can accept up to 1.0 full or equivalent pass/fail courses in a year used for the GPA requirement."

So . . . I guess that means I'm OK?!!?????

I'm still confused because the university I go to (Windsor) doesn't use terminology like "1.0" course.

But it seems that "1.0" course is the same thing as 2 half year courses??

So you have 5.0 "courses" in one whole academic year, right?

So I emailed UWO, asking

" . . . I was curious to know if pass/fail courses, in the way I have taken them, would disqualify me from being eligible to apply to the MD program.

In my second year, each of my two semesters included 4 lecture courses and 1 pass/fail course. The same was true in my third year.

I understand that the FAQ says that one pass/fail course is allowed in each of the years used to calculate GPA. Does this refer to one half-year course per year, or one full-year course per year?"

I got the reply that "

We can accept up to 1.0 full or equivalent pass/fail courses in a year used for the GPA requirement."

So . . . I guess that means I'm OK?!!?????

I'm still confused because the university I go to (Windsor) doesn't use terminology like "1.0" course.

But it seems that "1.0" course is the same thing as 2 half year courses??

So you have 5.0 "courses" in one whole academic year, right?

that is right - I found originally that 1.0 credit definition confusing as well, but the standard semester course people take is really only a 0.5 credit one. You have to go all year for make it a full credit.

All the med schools in Ontario work with such a system :)

Archived