Premed 101 Forums

Do cegep marks count at the university of ottawa?

Guest allycat03

Guest allycat03

Hi,

I am an out-of-province student and I currently trying to decide if I should even apply to the university of ottawa. I have not been able to find any information on the WGPA required for non ontario residents. In addition, I have been a poor student in the past, so the situation seems very grim.

I am currently a Graduate student in Biology. I did the WGPA caluculation for graduate students (I meet the criteria) and my WGPA was 3.81. I have all of the volunteer/extracurricular stuff. Unfortunately I flunked out of cegep (as in I failed an entire semester, 5 classes). I can't apply to medicine in Quebec because they always look at the cegep mark (it can count up to 60% of the GPA calculation) so I am not even bothering. I have never had the nerve to send off a med school application, because I am afraid admissions will look at my cegep transcript and laugh. If anyone knows anything about this situation I would really, really appreciate some advice. Thank you for your time.

Guest medicator007

Allycat03,

I can't speak for Ottawa, nor the other 3 schools in Quebec. But to the best of my knowledge as long as you have all of your pre-requisites succesfully completed McGill does not take into account your CEGEP transcript in CGPA calculation when it comes to application to the 4-year program.

Any further questions feel free to post them in the McGill forum (don't wanna clutter up the space for my colleagues from Bytown)

Medicator007

Guest Laurent27

Hey Allycat03,

Ottawa evaluates your last three undergraduate years in a formula.

yr1 GPAx1

yr2 GPAx2

yr3 GPAx3

Divide the total by 6 and it will give you your WGPA

don't forget, they are on a scale of 4 not 4.3.

since you are in a graduate course they also have have a graduate review policy as well. Which the cut off of your undergrad is lower but must have maintained a 85% final mark of your graduate studies and have publications to show for.

Laurent,

allycat03:

I really don't think that U of O will look at CEGEP grades. But you should check with admissions to make sure. What Laurent27 posted is right as to how they calculate your grades.

Sil.

Guest MayFlower1

alleycat,

I am a born & raised Quebecer...I grew up in Montreal...went to CEGEP (Vanier, St. Croix). I also have an undergrad and graduate degree. I'm not sure how they use the CEGEP stuff entirely...but for me...it was a clear advantage...they gave me equivalency on chem prerequisites based on having completed them in CEGEP...at least that was the story I was told by OMSAS.

Peter

Guest allycat03

Peter,

Thanks for your post. I appreciate it; I guess I just hoped they would forget cegep ever happened. I have read many of your posts, and realize that you have been interviewed. I wish you the very best of luck.

Guest MayFlower1

allycat,

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm actually not so sure they actually "looked" at my CEGEP transcript...I didn't have to submit it, however, CEGEP is listed as part of my education so, I believe, they realize that CHEM has been satisfied if one has been to CEGEP.

I actually still have not been interviewed this year...my interview is next friday at 8:30am...I can't wait.

Peter

Guest tutifruiti

hey Peter good luck on your interview, we had our cardiology exam today! I may have crossed you without knowing!

I confirm: Cegep doesn't count on your GPA calculation. However I had to send to OMSAS my cegep transcript because I did some prerequisite during Cegep and I had to prove it with my Cegep transcript.

T

Guest MayFlower1

tutifruiti,

Thanks for the good wishes...I didn't have my interview today...it's next friday at 8:30am. If you're around, I'd love to meet you. You can't really miss me...I'm 6'1" tall, dark brown spiked hair (I may reserve on the spiking for my interview :D ) ...and I answer to the name that will be on my name tag "Peter Hill". ;)

Hope to see you there.

Peter

Guest tutifruiti

Good luck Peter! I don't know why but I have the feeling you'll get in this year. I am in vacation till the Monday after your interview... so little chance for me to meet you.

Smile but don't smile too much

Be enthousiastic but not too much

be sincere but show some reserv

lead but don't lead too much...

G'day!

Guest MayFlower1

tutifruiti,

Thanks for the vote of confidence...I hope you're right about gaining acceptance this year! Thanks also for the great advice...have a great vacation...

Peter

Guest camillefr

for ur convenience here are the french wgpa per french regional category interview 2003 cutoffs:

French wgpa cutoffs 2003

------------------------------------------------------------

Franco-ontario applicants-3.2

Programme national-3.4

Aylmer, Hull, Gatineau, Outaouais (Québec) -3.6

Québec-3.87

80-100 interview candidates in 2003 for 40 spots (30 normal, 10 programme

national)

Good Luck Tal!

Guest MayFlower1

Camillefr,

Why do you keep posting the franco WGPA cutoffs everywhere? This thread, in my opinion, has nothing to do with WGPA.

Peter

Guest Ian Wong

Heya camillefr,

You're putting in a lot of effort here, which is a great thing. However, any francos reading the board will gravitate towards the Franco GPA threads. Posting the same information repeatedly on any thread that has any mention of CEGEP, French, Quebec, francophones, etc just clutters up the forums, and puts threads off-topic.

For example, if someone responded to your above posting with a message and a further question, it'd be real hard for anyone two months from now to remember or find that original message; they'd have to scan through all the French GPA postings first. Please don't keep posting the same information on multiple threads, but please do contribute your experiences in the most relevant thread available. Thanks again for your efforts.

Ian

Archived