Premed 101 Forums

insights ? thanks!

So I started a previous thread for some insights on my situation, but i've decided to start another, clean slate.

BC & Ontario resident.

3.8 GPA first 2 years. 3.5 GPA last 2 years.

No MCAT. No science prerequisites (besides bio). Have other prereq's (socials).

Currently just started a professional graduate degree, first year. MScPT (physiotherapy).

So those are my stats, now some context for some help with insights:

- Physio is not what I want, MED is. I know its a backup.

- I can leave physio with nothing on my record, and start my science prerequisites in the winter while working.

Any knowledgeable opinions on what would make the STRONGEST med application?

A) a year or two of physio, completing the graduate degree, self study and writing the MCAT, no science prerequisites

B) undergrad science prerequisites, dropping grad school, MCAT, work

Thanks guys, very helpful!

Also I've applied for NOSM & Ireland for 2011 acceptance.

So I started a previous thread for some insights on my situation, but i've decided to start another, clean slate.

BC & Ontario resident.

3.8 GPA first 2 years. 3.5 GPA last 2 years.

No MCAT. No science prerequisites (besides bio). Have other prereq's (socials).

Currently just started a professional graduate degree, first year. MScPT (physiotherapy).

So those are my stats, now some context for some help with insights:

- Physio is not what I want, MED is. I know its a backup.

- I can leave physio with nothing on my record, and start my science prerequisites in the winter while working.

Any knowledgeable opinions on what would make the STRONGEST med application?

A) a year or two of physio, completing the graduate degree, self study and writing the MCAT, no science prerequisites

B) undergrad science prerequisites, dropping grad school, MCAT, work

Thanks guys, very helpful!

Also I've applied for NOSM & Ireland for 2011 acceptance.

I would say that since physio is the backup plan you should try and complete the degree, then focus on getting into medschool. That way, you actually have the profession to fall back on should medschool not work out. That's what I would do (and one of my good friends is doing- he got into physio, is going to complete it, work for a year or two and then apply to medschool to build his application up)

I would then complete the pre-reqs, write the mcat and apply to all of the schools I was eligible for.

It may add a year or two, but it would be the most conservative approach.

However, if you do not like physio and you don't even see it as a backup plan that you would enjoy then I would say you may want to leave the program as you would be wasting your time and the schools resources to build up your application with a profession you do not want to work in.

Do what you want to do, not because you think it will make a stronger application but because it is what gives you satisfaction. If that is physio then continue along, if it isn't then try to define that and work towards it.

As for making a strong application- it comes down to a combination of marks and extra curriculars/life experiences... do as well as you can in your courses and pre-reqs (if the school has any), get involved with stuff in the community that you want to do... if you don't get in work on the areas that need to be improved. That's all you can do.

Good luck!

Archived