Premed 101 Forums

Québec applicants-french program(quota, wgpa cutoffs 2003)

Guest camillefr

Guest camillefr

I was told there is a quota on the number of Québec applicants they can accept into the french program as Québec has their own medical schools offering solely in French.

WGPA cutoffs 2003 (Québec applicants)

------------------------------------------------------------

Aylmer, Hull, Gatineau, Outaouais (Québec) -3.6

Rest of Québec-3.87

------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this info helps!

Please share your info also! I sure need it!

Cheers!

Ottawa guy (biochem honours)

Guest quebecboy

Hi Camillefr,

Is the GPA you listed on a 4.33 scale or a 4.0 scale? By the way, did you do your CÉGEP and if so, how do they weigh it in the admissions process?

Thanks,

Maxime

Guest gowithgoodheart

Hi quebecboy,

The cut off is on a scale of 4.0. If someone is coming from cégep background. They only weigh your two year university studies in the following format.

yr1x2

yr2x3

divide the total by 6 and will give you your WGPA.

Guest MayFlower1

quebecboy,

Although I applied as an Ontario resident (because that's where I live now), I grew up in Quebec and went to CÉGEP. They must at least consider CÉGEP as I was given equivalency for my chemistry from CÉGEP.

Peter

Guest camillefr

maxime move to ontario like peter. you will find it alot easier to get accepted especially into french program.

Example: if you were from montreal and had a wgpa of 3.86 and applied to french program 2003, you would be rejected right away and NO interview this year. yes you are francophone but not franco-ontario-huge difference!!!

luckily, i am from ontario not quebec!

Guest quebecboy

Hello all and thank you for your replies.

Peter, I assume you moved to the other side of the Outaouais (after CÉGEP) to pursue your University studies. So, did they consider you from Ontario because you were studying (therefore living) there? The way I see it, I could move there, do my final year of biochem and then they would consider me as a franco-ontarian from the region. Is this the case?

Maxime

Guest gowithgoodheart

hey maxime,

It is to my understanding that you need to be residing in Ontario for a minimum of two years to be considered a regional Franco-Ontarian.

gowith,

Guest MayFlower1

quebecboy,

I actually moved to Ontario after my masters degree to begin working for Bell-Northern Research (now known as Nortel Networks) as a human-factors researcher. I have now been residing in Ottawa since 1989.

I think as gowithgoodheart suggests you have to be residing here more than a year. I'm not sure what the exact number is...but I believe it may be 2 years. You should probably contact the university to get the right answer. The other thing I'm not sure of is whether moving from QC if you're considered a "franco-Ontarian"...again, I think it would be best to get the answer from the horse's mouth, so to speak... >D

Cheers,

Peter

Guest camillefr

hey maxime,

you asked about the scale. it is out of 4, but omsas scale is totally different.

3.0=B

3.3=B+

3.7=A-

3.9=A

4.0=A+

so apply! you will get accepted!

I hope I encouraged u!

Guest camillefr

correction:

Today I visited admissions office (mon feb 9, 2003).

They said if they cannot find qualified competitive applicants from Ontario, they will take more from Quebec.

So there is no real quota in fact!

Please visit "anglo-ontario applying to french" thread and "you can be anglo and applay as franco" thread below. Very accurate and useful info for everyone!

pls let me know if my threads are helping. cuz i will stop giving inside information if there is no response from people. i feel i m talking to nobody.

Guest Laurent27

Camille

here is my two cents.

What you are saying is out of proportion. Quebec has 4 medical schools. They are very strict to people from outside Ontario. (except of course the outaouais region)since they are considered regional.

What do you mean by inside information, you got a friend working there or something.

Laurent

Guest camillefr

Laurent I dont understand your question?

The admissions office told me there want more franco-ontario and francophones (Non-Quebec), but unfortunately as you know not enough apply. So they will have to take from Quebec.

By inside information- I mean I know alot of ottawa u medical students and I ask them alot of questions and i know some their professors personally and I visit the admissions office frequently. Basically I m at the medical school just not accepted yet!

I share everything I know here!

Hope you get in this year Laurent!

Archived