Premed 101 Forums

Interview invites!!

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys should just add one another to MSN or something. You are not adding anything to the discussion.

On the other hand, I'm sick of this, I'm calling UBC in 30 minutes. Has anyone else done so?

Ab

You aren't adding anything to the discussions by constantly getting angry at peoples post. Oh no, he posted a funny video to try and kill some time-the worlds going to end! Seriously stop being so uptight & last time I checked you aren't the forum police!

You guys should just add one another to MSN or something. You are not adding anything to the discussion.

On the other hand, I'm sick of this, I'm calling UBC in 30 minutes. Has anyone else done so?

Ab

ab,

call ubc and let us know how it goes... i've been debating about calling but i have this irrational fear that they will revoke my application for being an annoyance.

on a related note- isn't this similar to waiting for medical test results... no matter where you go in medicine you always have to play the waiting game...

i'd rather play hungry hungry hippos

I wonder how many calls has the admission office gotten so far.. I would be surprised if they would actually pick up the phone instead of letting the answering machine do the job

Well, next year they'll either scrap this "window of time" BS and just go with one notification date OR they can keep this "window of time" but not release interim stats just before the window commences.

I love the prospect of UBC. Great school, great location(s). Yet keeping the interim stats at bay until after they've notified all of us (or just have one notification date) would have been best to avoid the cortisol spikes we are seeing in the UBC sub-forum.

I wonder how many calls has the admission office gotten so far.. I would be surprised if they would actually pick up the phone instead of letting the answering machine do the job

Judging by the number of DQ's this year.. I'm sure they are all trying to get something re-looked at (if they are as complicated cases as the ones posed yesterday where everything supposedly seemed right).

This might explain their delay =\

I know we are all anxiously waiting for the results, but can we please not take our stress out on the other forum members?

+1

with regards to the dsq applicants- i wonder if this was something that was released as the information became available (ie. your mcat score was released on oct 1 and didn't meet the cutoff so you were contacted/notified)... or if it was only yesterday that people received word of being dsqd. either way, pretty crappy thing to have happen.

one would also assume that the school did its due diligence in terms of disqualified applicants... otherwise this could have a serious impact on interview offers. i would also suspect that you would have to present some pretty serious evidence of a glaring mistake made on behalf of UBC Medicine in order for them to reverse the dsq... but still... just a terrible situation to be in.

oh and the blog- i think there is something on the ubc website about a medicine blog... but i'm not sure if it has anything to do with med school... more like medicine in canada/bc...

I am betting on more disqualification notices today. Or maybe they are just going with student numbers or last names!!! Either way. It is a pretty mean strategy to release the scores like this. They should have told us that you will get your scores by the 23rd PERIOD. This 15-23 window makes no sense.

PS. IMO the people that were disqualified in spite of meeting all the reqs. had some sort of issues with their verifiers.

Was someone able to confirm this? Since verifiers are randomly contacted, and its a bit of a grey area anyways, I can't imagine applicants being DQ'd because of this. I think your NAQ score would take a big hit, but to be DQ'd seemed too harsh. Where would you draw the line? Someone who exaggerated hours is DQ'd but someone who embellished his/her responsibilities isn't?

I had a thought yesterday while perusing this forum anonymously...

Sanosuke, if your transcripts did not show you as registered in classes (to get up to 90cr) then they might have no "proof" that you would be achieving that.

Just a thought.

When the 10-yr rule was not applied to my app last year, and my application was "partially reviewed" because of it, they were not very inclined to look into my situation further despite the way it was all worded. They also never informed me that this was going to happen. They also never said anything about the 75% thing (or the 7/7/7/M MCAT for some) until after the fact.

I think that even if they haven't done "due diligence", they are never going to admit it. That said, the interm statistics said 698 invited to interview, but there is that funny asterisk there "subject to change."

^ about the DQ's.. I had a friend who had an issue post interview with one of his verifiers.. the verifier under-stated the hours by around 100 hours when asked by the adcom's and UBC actually contacted my friend about it... he immediately called his verifier to clarify things, and his verifier had made a mistake, called ubc back and fixed it...my friend thought he would have been blacklisted forever, but he ended up getting in that cycle. It seems VERY odd that UBC wouldn't call us to notify us that our verifiers couldn't confirm our activities accurately though.. I really don't think thats the case..

Anyhow, as for predictions on when our results are out... I am starting to highly doubt it will be out today. =(

Was someone able to confirm this? Since verifiers are randomly contacted, and its a bit of a grey area anyways, I can't imagine applicants being DQ'd because of this. I think your NAQ score would take a big hit, but to be DQ'd seemed too harsh. Where would you draw the line? Someone who exaggerated hours is DQ'd but someone who embellished his/her responsibilities isn't?

DISCREPANCIES

Discrepancies between reported and verified total hours and activities and responsibilities will be noted in your application file and may affect your non-academic scoring. Therefore, it is important for you to provide accurate information in this section. We strongly suggest that you accurately calculate total hours.

NOTE: Applicants must not include additional/expected time for activities that extend beyond the application deadline. Calculation of total hours for continuing activities must use the application deadline as the cut-off date.

Please only record the number of hours dedicated to the activity itself; do not factor in time taken for sleep, meals, travel, etc. When an applicant is in doubt about responsibilities and hours committed to any activity, he or she should contact the verifier in advance of submitting their application to reduce the possibility of discrepancies between what the applicant lists and what the verifiers confirm.

The MD Undergraduate Admissions Office reserves the right to verify reported experiences, including total number of hours, throughout the entire application cycle.

the information above is taken from the ubc oas website... it doesn't say anything about being dsq for inaccurate reports... but it also doesn't say anything about fabricating information... I'm not saying anybody did that I'm just saying that that might be serious enough to merit a dsq. I think in most cases a discrepancy would probably result in a reduced NAQ score which would lead to a reduced likelihood of interviewing which could lead to a regret...

+1, I think that a serious error with falsifying activities might impact all further applications, yes? Have I read this somewhere? I might be making this up, I'm not sure.

So are people thinking that the adcom is dealing with issues with potentially-disqualified candidates because if they're problems end up getting cleared up they will take the place of students who were previously going to get interviews but very barely? Because really, they could press the 'send' button and let everyone else know what's up while they deal with that 200-something group with DQs. It's so hard to avoiding refreshing the OAS and it's kind of making me insane :(

So are people thinking that the adcom is dealing with issues with potentially-disqualified candidates because if they're problems end up getting cleared up they will take the place of students who were previously going to get interviews but very barely? Because really, they could press the 'send' button and let everyone else know what's up while they deal with that 200-something group with DQs. It's so hard to avoiding refreshing the OAS and it's kind of making me insane :(

i think it's more an issue that if they are dealing with dsq applicants and some of these may have been errors that they would assess their applications and add them to the total number of invites... however, since they have not sent any invites out it could be entirely possible that they are reassessing and removing those that no longer qualify for an invite.

this is purely speculation... and i would like to think that they would just add them on... but you never know.

Archived