Premed 101 Forums

Does it matter if a University or CEGEP professor is chosen as referee?

Steven

If your a University student in Quebec applying for med school, does it matter if you have a CEGEP professor as a referee instead of a University Professor?

Personally, it hard to form meaningful relations with a professor in University because the classes are huge and he'll probably know you for 4 months at best compared to CEGEP professors where classes are smaller and the Science's Continuing Ed (I'm not majoring in Sciences if your wondering so I've done my prerequites in Nightschool while moonlighting in University during the day) means you'll have the same professor on many courses.

I know it sounds like a rhetorical question, but I'm just wondering because it feels kinda cheap cutting corners to maximize my odds when most applicants will have university professors that might not really know them.

Steven, select the prof whom, in your judgment, will give you the best and strongest LOR. This is not cutting corners, rather it is strategic planning. Also, you should give the person whom you selected your latest transcript, CV and a motivational letter so the referee knows exactly who you are, why applying to med, your strengths and weaknesses and this will fill in any blanks the referee may have. GL!

Archived