Premed 101 Forums

How many hours does a typical average medical student study a day?

India or not here is my response.

I am first year student in Medschool at Laval University. We have between 16 and 20 hours of classes a week. 1-2 hours of reading for each class. Studying varies alot but on average, you have to count 2-3 hours for every hour of class. If you make an average you have to go to class for 18 hours a week, read 10 hours, and study 45 hours: total of over 70 hours a week that is about 10 hours a day. It is obviously not spreap out evenly over the session. Studying is more intense right before exams. You have to be organized and some people study alot less and still perform very well. This is my experience so far.

I am first year student in Medschool at Laval University. We have between 16 and 20 hours of classes a week. 1-2 hours of reading for each class. Studying varies alot but on average, you have to count 2-3 hours for every hour of class. If you make an average you have to go to class for 18 hours a week, read 10 hours, and study 45 hours: total of over 70 hours a week that is about 10 hours a day. It is obviously not spreap out evenly over the session. Studying is more intense right before exams. You have to be organized and some people study alot less and still perform very well. This is my experience so far.

OMG! How do you guys manage to make it?

A friend of mine who is Canadian and lives in the Caribbean, graduated in Ontario from Grade 12 this past June and was accepted into the 5 year medical program at University of West Indies. Her classes commence at 8 AM and she works every day until midnite, with studying on the weekends. So, her average day is 14 hours of classes/studying daily during the week, 70 hours plus weekends.

My brother says that P/F schools require less studying than what he had to go through in his undergrad program.

Probably true - I certainly find med school less stressful than regular school - or rather that probably applies to preclerkship. You really can actually chose not to learn something which is something you cannot do in a mark driven premed state. However to be honest I am actually busier in med school that before with ECs, observerships, research and studying.

Clerkship, which of course is half or so of the thing, is an entirely different ball game and there is a lot of studying going on there.

Um, is there is difference between how much people study at french-speaking/learning universities compared to english universities?

I'm asking because nobody from like an ontario medschool or other province medschool has answered how much they study on weekdays and weekends.

A friend of mine who is Canadian and lives in the Caribbean, graduated in Ontario from Grade 12 this past June and was accepted into the 5 year medical program at University of West Indies. Her classes commence at 8 AM and she works every day until midnite, with studying on the weekends. So, her average day is 14 hours of classes/studying daily during the week, 70 hours plus weekends.

Holy lord. They get like 2 hours when they're not studying. And they're probably eating during that time. That's brutal, how do people even live like that? Do they even smile once a week..

How much do you study future_doc?

U of A here, 2nd year. I'm different from most people in that our school is very liberal with the use of webcast technology, so I stopped going to class last spring and now webcast/vodcast all the lectures from home. The only class I attend sometimes is PCC (patient-centered care), as it's not very information-dense so I don't have to worry about losing track and then having to catch up at home later.

For a 50-minute lecture, it takes me about 1.5 hours to webcast it and take notes. This week, for example, we have 9 hours of regular lecture (so --> 15 or so hours of webcasting and note-taking for me), + 1-hour review (which I attend), + 3 hours of PCC (which I also attend). So I'm looking at about 19 hours to spend on studying for our lectures.

Then we have mandatory sessions.....5 hours of DL (PBL) - in addition to the in-session time, I'd say I spend another 3 hours doing research before the session, so 8 hours there. Then there's 4 hours of anatomy and 4 hours of clinical skills for my group (some groups have 0 and others have 2). So that's 16 more hours in-class and studying.

We also have weekly quizzes. For those, I simply go over my notes once and make index cards. I'd say this takes about 5 hours per week on average.

So bottom line is 19 + 16 + 5 = 40 hours of in-class and study time on an average week. Busy, but not that bad. Weekends are free as we have to make sure we cover all our lectures before the Friday quiz.

• 3 weeks later...

For me, at UBC, it's about 25-30 hours of classes, ~20 hours of studying (more during exams), and 8-16 hours for a job/volunteer per week (less during exams). Oh, and 15 hours riding the bus which is not an exaggeration at all.

@the post above mine: 100 hours of studying is quite intense. That's 14 hours per day!

For me, at UBC, it's about 25-30 hours of classes, ~20 hours of studying (more during exams), and 8-16 hours for a job/volunteer per week (less during exams). Oh, and 15 hours riding the bus which is not an exaggeration at all.

@the post above mine: 100 hours of studying is quite intense. That's 14 hours per day!

25-30 is a lot, are you guys a PBL oriented school?

There's one guy in our class that's just amazing, I totally think he's going to get the Nobel prize, seriously, same can be said for this guy in the class below us, I've known him for six years and in first year when the bio TA forgot the section he blurted it out and memorized it, the dude got like 6 publications in undergrad while getting an A+ in almost all his classes (although he's in really bad shape and doesn't do much outside of academics).

Archived