Premed 101 Forums

NHL thread

Mithril

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did anyone watch road to the winter classic on hbo, and happen to notice how often bruce boudreau says ****... i think the word **** constitutes about a third of the words that come out of his mouth, its like: youre a bunch of ****ing pussies, stop ****ing feeling ****ing sorry for your ****ing selves you bunch of ****s, were not gonna get ****ing blown out to-****ing-night again... ****, lets go out there and kick those ****ing ****s asses... on an aside after watching that show im now a semi-pens fan

Go Sens! (I know, it's sad at this point)

So, thoughts on the Winter Classic (if you watched it)?

did anyone watch road to the winter classic on hbo, and happen to notice how often bruce boudreau says ****... i think the word **** constitutes about a third of the words that come out of his mouth, its like: youre a bunch of ****ing pussies, stop ****ing feeling ****ing sorry for your ****ing selves you bunch of ****s, were not gonna get ****ing blown out to-****ing-night again... ****, lets go out there and kick those ****ing ****s asses... on an aside after watching that show im now a semi-pens fan

Lots of asteriks in your post :o

P.S. Go avs :)

Ahhh this debate has been going on forever. There are more reasons for fights then just anger and/or revenge in hockey. It's used as momentum changes, to take good players out of the game for parts, strategy and psychological reasons. There are more. My brother plays high competitive levels in the states and they will sometimes call "the canadian" to stir something up.

This debate could go on forever (and has).

Should fighting be banned in hockey (or even more restrictions than what is in effect)? That's what I was discussing with this girl in my lab days ago. She felt that it was a pointless part of the sport that hurt its integrity. She argued that the teams and players don't benefit from a competitive standpoint (in terms of goals).

I said that it was needed because it kept crowd enthusiasm up and put butts in the seats. She came back at me claiming that if that's the case, the lines of sport and entertainment are blurred. The only comeback I could think of was that it protected the "weaker" players from getting crushed.

What are your opinions, guys and girls? Its obviously not a needed part of the game (as seen during the Olympics) and these guys are not trained professional combat athletes, so is there no need. I like a good, bloody fight but if it were banned, I wouldn't flinch as I could just flip the channel to see actual fighters fight (which is safer and has a point) instead of just those trying to save their spot on the roser, lol.

Should fighting be banned in hockey (or even more restrictions than what is in effect)? That's what I was discussing with this girl in my lab days ago. She felt that it was a pointless part of the sport that hurt its integrity. She argued that the teams and players don't benefit from a competitive standpoint (in terms of goals).

I said that it was needed because it kept crowd enthusiasm up and put butts in the seats. She came back at me claiming that if that's the case, the lines of sport and entertainment are blurred. The only comeback I could think of was that it protected the "weaker" players from getting crushed.

What are your opinions, guys and girls? Its obviously not a needed part of the game (as seen during the Olympics) and these guys are not trained professional combat athletes, so is there no need. I like a good, bloody fight but if it were banned, I wouldn't flinch as I could just flip the channel to see actual fighters fight (which is safer and has a point) instead of just those trying to save their spot on the roser, lol.

Fighting is a part of the game. It is exciting to watch. I don't watch hockey for the fights, and I don't expect them at every game, but it happens. I don't know, it wouldn't be the same without a fight once in a while :)

lol Sens.

10char

yes, they are not the team of years past. merely a shadow. but when you lose players like heatley, chara, redden, volchie....etc and replace them with 3rd and 4th line pluggers what do you expect?

i am kind of happy they are tanking b/c they can rebuild the team. hopefully murray and clouston are gone and the management cab take a different direction, and change the atmosphere of losing.

Well, yeah, the most popular part of hockey is the fighting. People cheer more loudly for a fight than a goal. It is the selling point of the game in North America, especially in the States. I was in Columbus for a game and when a fight broke out, people were going crazy literally and that buzz carried through the game. There were calls for fighting from the crowd throughout the game.

If it ever were taken away, I don't know if I'd be as much of a fan as I am right now. I like to see two guys go at it even if it has no purpose. But then again, I realize that it isn't really necessary and I wouldn't consider it as part of the game. I mean, even in American football, fighting COULD be used as a way to change momentum and what-not but they don't.

The thing is that our society is fascinated by fighting and settling things between two individuals. Its the most pure form of athletic competition known to man. There is a reason why hockey continues to survive in American media and culture. This is also the reason a big-time boxing match can generate as much internet and media buzz as the World Series. Why do you think that MMA is now as popular on a worldwide scale as hockey after only being a sport for 20 years? Hockey NEEDS this on a marketing level and if the lines of sport and entertainment are blurred, so be it.

Obviously, one of the concerns about fighting is the injuries. I don't know if you've mentioned this... If the injury is bad enough, the player can essentially have his career shot down the drain. What are your thoughts?

Fighting is pretty overrated in my opinion. I could do without the heavyweights who can't even skate going at each other, throwing haymakers that don't land and just end up being a wrestling match.

I do get excited watching the spur of the moment fights driven by emotion. If fighting were banned I wouldn't care at all. During the most exciting part of the NHL, the playoffs, the number of fights go down and entertainment value is not affected at all.

It's really interesting that a lot of the enforcers actually take boxing lessons. I think we should keep fighting, a lot of times people aren't just roster jockeying and are actually angry, plus it's fun to watch.

I watch it. It's a really well done show. Funny thing is that in the 1st 2 episodes, Bruce's Fmeter was something like 60+ times and in the 3rd episode, he toned it down to only 4 times. Plus, I also like a Pens a bit more. Actually, I just like their coach a bit more.

The line between sports and entertainment is blurred. Staged fights I could do without (like an Orr vs Carkner). But, something like an Iginla vs Lecavalier doesn't hurt the "integrity of the game". It's 2 great players fighting for the grand prize.

If anyone isn't watching the Canada/USA World Juniors game right now you're missing some kick ass hockey
I watched. Good game, but I was surprised by how Canada dominated the US in terms of the physical play.

yes, they are not the team of years past. merely a shadow. but when you lose players like heatley, chara, redden, volchie....etc and replace them with 3rd and 4th line pluggers what do you expect?

i am kind of happy they are tanking b/c they can rebuild the team. hopefully murray and clouston are gone and the management cab take a different direction, and change the atmosphere of losing.

Murray I can do without, but I don't think Clouston needs to be fired. He really doesn't have much to work with. Plus, it'll be even less when our GM makes his annual "push for the playoffs" trade where we lose draft picks and pick up a ufa rental. :( (please don't let this happen this year).

oh yes...and to this thread i must add my reluctant " GO SENS GO" as I wear my I <3 Ottawa Senators tshirt from oldnavy :P
LL is a Sens fan?

Aw. And I am a girl, who just so happens to like sports.

man, i wish i could find a girl who wants to talk about hockey and sports.

you're right, clouston should not be fired. they should rebuild the team and let him coach the young kids.

i think murray should either go back behind the bench or should relinquish the GM role to another.

The line between sports and entertainment is blurred. Staged fights I could do without (like an Orr vs Carkner). But, something like an Iginla vs Lecavalier doesn't hurt the "integrity of the game". It's 2 great players fighting for the grand prize.

Fighting is ok if there's a good reason for it. Colton Orr is predictable and a nuisance, but it didn't make me flinch to see Cammalleri fight because that is a rock solid player who doesn't hit for no reason. In fact, I thought that was kind of great because he's their star player and I feel if he's fighting, he's got something to fight about. My two bits.

man, i wish i could find a girl who wants to talk about hockey and sports.

you're right, clouston should not be fired. they should rebuild the team and let him coach the young kids.

i think murray should either go back behind the bench or should relinquish the GM role to another.

While I said Clouston shouldn't be fired, I don't think he'll be sticking around. I believe his contarct is up at the end of the season and I don't see it being extended.

As for Murray, I think he was one of the best coaches the sens have ever had. I'd love to see him go back behind the bench. But I hope that he isn't given another contract at the end of the season as GM. I read the Sun (yeah, I know it's not the best for hockey news as it's mainly rumors) but there was an interesting bit about Pierre McGuire as the new GM. I don't quite know how I feel about that though.

Archived