Premed 101 Forums

NHL thread

Mithril

Valid arguments have been made for both the 2 goal lead and the 3 goal lead being the worst.

I'm going to go with the worst lead being whatever one the opposition ends up comming back from to win the game.

nice one.

moral of the story, don't take your foot off the gas.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 goal leads are scary when you're playing teams much better than you, because giving up that goal will shatter your confidence and a 2 goal lead doesn't mean much, so you're still standing on pins and needles, when you're up 3 goals against a much better team, you play as tight as you can, because they're still dangerous but you know the wins in the bag if you play tight as hell

when you're playing a fairly equal team you play a lot tighter up 2 goals, i use to play goal and would be extremely focussed even with a 2 goal lead, you start to slack off when it's 3 goals though and you're playing an average team though, i think the latest was canada's situation

i always thought it was the 2-0 lead in hockey... because one goal means the other team is back in it.

whereas, with a 3-0 lead you would have to have a monumental lapse or breakdown to have 3 goals scored against you, let alone a 4th or 5th to win the game.

yeah, but also a game after they blew a 5-2 lead to the blues and won in the shootout :) i was at the gym during that one and a guy watching the game randomly started talking me to me about how everyone forgets the "glory days" of the cujo era and thinks the leafs have always been bad... the 4 goals were pretty impressive though, especially since they finished 30th on the pp last year

lol. I feel bad for leafs fans sometimes (the nice fans). Wasn't that the game where they scored 4 times on the pp? Because that was impressive.

yeah, but also a game after they blew a 5-2 lead to the blues and won in the shootout :) i was at the gym during that one and a guy watching the game randomly started talking me to me about how everyone forgets the "glory days" of the cujo era and thinks the leafs have always been bad... the 4 goals were pretty impressive though, especially since they finished 30th on the pp last year

Which was a day or two after the junior team got lit up in the third. Also, the cujo era was NOT even close to being glory days. The leafs haven't had anything to be proud of since the early Potvin era.

*shrugs* They'll start scoring again. I hope Couture wins the Calder trophy, because then I could talk about how I know a Calder trophy winner, and that would be neat (yeah, this sentence was kind of off topic).

i've heard some rumblings about cory schneider for the calder... although, couture and skinner in carolina are making more visible contributions to their team on a nightly basis. But half way through the season and he hasn't lost in regulation- that's saying something.

i've heard some rumblings about cory schneider for the calder... although, couture and skinner in carolina are making more visible contributions to their team on a nightly basis. But half way through the season and he hasn't lost in regulation- that's saying something.
Schneider? Really? Lols if he wins it, unless he plays a lot more games in the 2nd half of the season. I could easily see it going to Skinner, or even someone like Stepan, Fowler, or Shattenkirk. As for goalies, I'd go with Bobrovsky or Lindback.

Schneider doesn't deserve mention. You dont win a calder by playing 20-25 games.

Plus, even if Schneider played a lot more games and put up the same type of stats, I think the knock on him is that he's playing on a dominant team this year. For a goalie, it's kind of hard to distinguish how much of their performance is due to them playing really well versus how few/low quality scoring chances the team in front of him gives up.

ditto, and lets be honest if you want the Calder as a goalie you need to be in AT LEAST 35-40 games... a good example would be a guy like Ondrej Pavelec from Atl. he's already played 31 games and has put up excellent numbers on a more suspect defense. of course, he's a sophomore, but i think he'd be the perfect example of the kind of stats you'd need in terms of games played, gaa, save % etc.

even if you look at his stats last year he put up a 3.30 gaa but had a .906 save %, which says a lot about the quality of your teams' defense.

Plus, even if Schneider played a lot more games and put up the same type of stats, I think the knock on him is that he's playing on a dominant team this year. For a goalie, it's kind of hard to distinguish how much of their performance is due to them playing really well versus how few/low quality scoring chances the team in front of him gives up.

and also to bring up why hasek>brodeur... if hasek was in his prime right now and playing for the devils they'd be a 4 or 5 points out of the playoffs, sneak in, make a run for the cup with no 20 goal scorers and lose in the finals to brett hull on a crooked goal :P

and also to bring up why hasek>brodeur... if hasek was in his prime right now and playing for the devils they'd be a 4 or 5 points out of the playoffs, sneak in, make a run for the cup with no 20 goal scorers and lose in the finals to brett hull on a crooked goal :P
Haha. And if that were to happen, Devils fans would talk about the injustice of it all for the rest of time.

Yeah, no one recognizes that a .930 save percentage six years in a row on the sabres is a tad better than .915 and a bunch of wins on the stacked Devils, not to mention those six vezinas and two hart trophies are pretty amazing. IMO, Brodeur doesn't even stack up against Vokoun over the past 7 years, it's amazing Vokoun's never won a Vezina.

Brodeur used to be good, but his stats are padded by the fact that he had a juggernaut of a defensive trap played in front of him in the 90s and early 00s. Hasek is by far the better goalie.

Yeah, no one recognizes that a .930 save percentage six years in a row on the sabres is a tad better than .915 and a bunch of wins on the stacked Devils, not to mention those six vezinas and two hart trophies are pretty amazing. IMO, Brodeur doesn't even stack up against Vokoun over the past 7 years, it's amazing Vokoun's never won a Vezina.

career wise brodeur has more wins, more shutouts and a better win %.

his save % is .09 lower than hasek, but with almost 400 more games and a goals against average of 2.23 (haseks is 2.20).

vokoun is a good goalie on a crap team- his win % is lower than luongos at .420 with a higher goals against average and

luongo has a slightly better win % at .450, same gaa at 2.56 and the same save %. funny that they both played for florida and have almost the same records.

i'd definitely argue that luongo is not worth 10million right now

and i'd say that hasek had the potential to rock the world, but he got injured too often and couldn't carry the same workload as brodeur did.

both are amazing though. vokoun and luongo couldn't even hold a candle to their career stats at this point (give luongo a few years and we might say something different).

That'll change in the near future when he's playing for the Sens. (I know it a super improbable long shot, but don't crush my dreams. lol)

you also have to remember that hasek didnt get into the nhl until 26 or 27, and that he would put up a lot more games with those years, and that at he gets more shutouts per game than brodeur despite not having the luxury of racking up quite a few 18 save so's. you also have to look at longlevity, overall hasek has played quite a few more games, he played in europe for 8 years before he came into the nhl, and he's putting up respectable numbers in russia now, even at 45, that's a 27 year career! it may just be the devils, but brodeur is starting to look like he's going downhill, although he may bounce back next year, im not really saying he's not a great goalie, but i remember as a kid watching buffalo win games 1-0, 2-1 etc. in the playoffs every year despite being outshot 45-20 and having no offense not named miro satan. brodeurs a hof'er but if you were to put him on those terrible teams in the 90's he'd have nowhere near as many wins, definitely wouldn't be able to put up 75 starts a year, and would definately have less so's.

brodeur would likely be hof'er playing on any half decent team without a doubt, he's good, and in the first half of his career insanely clutch.

luongo may be able to garner that kind of legacy, he's still got quite a few years left, but as of now i dont think he's within reach yet.

vokoun will never be mentioned with the latter 3, but i still think that he's been the best goalie in the nhl post lockout, there's a reason he's getting a 5 million + contract playing for the panthers, i think he's a free agent this year, it'll be interesting to see what he can do in the playoffs if a team like tampa picks him up for next year... it's not like florida's gonna make the playoffs this year, lol.

career wise brodeur has more wins, more shutouts and a better win %.

his save % is .09 lower than hasek, but with almost 400 more games and a goals against average of 2.23 (haseks is 2.20).

vokoun is a good goalie on a crap team- his win % is lower than luongos at .420 with a higher goals against average and

luongo has a slightly better win % at .450, same gaa at 2.56 and the same save %. funny that they both played for florida and have almost the same records.

i'd definitely argue that luongo is not worth 10million right now

and i'd say that hasek had the potential to rock the world, but he got injured too often and couldn't carry the same workload as brodeur did.

both are amazing though. vokoun and luongo couldn't even hold a candle to their career stats at this point (give luongo a few years and we might say something different).

Archived